• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

It is January... Watch Out For Turtles

Fuzzy

Reaction score
Visit site
Just after crossing the rain swollen Ogeechee river today, I steered around what I first thought was a rock.

Even in the Deep South of Central Georgia I don't expect to see turtles sunning on a back road in the middle of January.

IMG_20140114_200856.jpg

Crazy weather this year. Saw some frogs moving around last few days. It warms up at bit and thy think it is time to come out and play

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I hope you moved the turtle to a safer place. It could get squashed just sitting in the middle of the road.

I actually watched a Harley rider hit one of these shelled monsters and go down. It is not pretty, and the turtle will win.

There are turtles around here but I have never seen one on my route. So far. I don't want to test the "small enough to eat" theory. My luck I would catch it at an angle and that all she wrote.

Thanks for the heads up. Turtle Polo anyone? :eek: I try to get the little critters in a safe place when I can. It has always pissed me off watching cages hit turtles on purpose.
Bike against said turtle. No thanks!

I hope you moved him to the side of the rode. I always stop and help them across. They have enough problems to deal with as it is without some "critter-hitter" making turtle pancakes.

I hope you moved him to the side of the rode. I always stop and help them across. They have enough problems to deal with as it is without some "critter-hitter" making turtle pancakes.

0.jpg

The Caymans, the only place in the world where eating turtle is legally permitted. They have big turtle farms there, and only farm turtles can be eaten. Turtles are the other white meat in the Cayman Islands.

smileyturtle.jpg

00.jpg

Last edited:
The Caymans, the only place in the world where eating turtle is legally permitted. They have big turtle farms there, and only farm turtles can be eaten. Turtles are the other white meat in the Cayman Islands.

You can harvest them in Missouri..

Turtle Regulations | Missouri Department of Conservation
[h=3]Season & Limits[/h] [h=5]Turtle[/h] Common Snapping Turtles
Season Open All Year
Daily Limit: 5
Possession Limit: 10

Soft-shelled Turtles
Primary Season: Mon, 07/01/2013 - Tue, 12/31/2013

[h=3]Additional Information[/h][h=4]Legal Methods[/h]Common snapping turtles and soft-shelled turtles may be taken by hand, handnet, bow, crossbow, trotline, throwline, limb line, bank line, jug line, snagging, snaring, grabbing or pole and line. Shooting turtles with firearms is prohibited.

You can harvest them in Missouri..

Turtle Regulations | Missouri Department of Conservation
[h=3]Season & Limits[/h] [h=5]Turtle[/h] Common Snapping Turtles
Season Open All Year

Soft-shelled Turtles
Primary Season: Mon, 07/01/2013 - Tue, 12/31/2013

[h=3]Additional Information[/h][h=4]Legal Methods[/h]Common snapping turtles and soft-shelled turtles may be taken by hand, handnet, bow, crossbow, trotline, throwline, limb line, bank line, jug line, snagging, snaring, grabbing or pole and line. Shooting turtles with firearms is prohibited.

1.jpg

When it comes to critters, you folk in Missouri have them all. I have never ridden across Missouri on Route 66 without seeing a lot of critters every mile. Great place to ride.

SmileyTalkingHands.jpg

00.jpg

Last edited:
When I lived in Oklahoma, a contractor gave my Dad and I a piece of meat to eat. He wouldn't say what it was either. I told him I will not eat opossum! He said its not opossum, here ya go!
That was about as good as it gets in flavor. You just had some Common Snapping Turtle! It tasted very very good, but I have no idea how to clean them.

Turtles are exception to rule that if small enough to eat in one meal it is safer not to take evaisive measures.

Had porcupine cross the road in front of me last fall.

Camera was buried away and I had gone a fair distance before I realized what it was...

Best bet if you don't know what it is and can avoid it, then avoid it, to many small critters that can make for a really bad day (skunks come to mind)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

I once visited a church where the pastor was giving a Children's Sermon using a turtle. I can't remember anything he said because as he held it up for the kids to see, it decided to take a pee! Had to get his robe cleaned that week.

If you move them out of the road, move them to the side they were headed (if not, a majority of them will attempt to cross again); be careful when doing so though. We had a rider killed in this area a few years ago who stopped to move a turtle out of the road and got hit by a car.

We have snapping turtle season here in Indiana and soft shell river turtle season. I don't like eating them though.

Its amazing the different road kill we have to put up with, here in Australia you shouldn't ride during twilight and dawn because of 6' kangaroos jumping out in front of you also Emu's, Koala's, possums,foxes just to name a few, what's your roadkill?

Kangaroos? Man, that would definitely freak me out if I can around the corner and there is one of them staring at me. I hope they can jump fast.

Its amazing the different road kill we have to put up with, here in Australia you shouldn't ride during twilight and dawn because of 6' kangaroos jumping out in front of you also Emu's, Koala's, possums,foxes just to name a few, what's your roadkill?

Didn't know ya'll had possums

Back