• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Just aquired a brand new 2013

Fred

Reaction score
Visit site
Good to find a forum for these bikes. they are different.
Been researching this bike for a long time. It suits my touring needs with the addition of a few components.
Rode a manual 6 speed for a test run but chose the dual clutch just for something different and also because I ran into a guy in the woods last year way out in the middle of nowhere in N. Georgia mountains where I was on a DR650 single and my buddy was on a Husky 650. This guy chugs up on an NC700X dual clutch with knobbies. He hung with us all day long through torrential rain and very rough fire roads with no problem. I was very impressed with the dual clutch he was running.
I bought mine to do long distance touring and camping as a more comfortable ride than my DR for that purpose. I have done 5K mile trips on the DR... but ready for some more comfort. It has enough power for my needs and the low center of gravity is awesome.
Found a leftover new 2013 for a ridiculous price in FL. and brought it back to the mountains where I live in East TN. Its smooth and quiet.
Think I am going to enjoy this bike. May want to tweak front suspension. Its real choppy on washboard pavement, maybe a progressive rate spring setup. Will investigate.
These forums appear a good source of info for my new horse. thanks

Very possible. He was doing videos of our stream crossings. Good rider on that bike.

I sold a DR 650 to get my NCDCT. Havn't mounted knobs yet, but might one day. In some respects, the NC performs like the dr.

Welcome Fred. You bought a great bike. 2013 was the best year, IMO.

You're a lucky man if you're located in the Smokies. We'll have a get together in late May at Kickstand. Would like if you could join. http://nc700-forum.com/forum/i-m-going-for-a-ride-you-comin-/10534-return-land-dragon.html

BTW, the NC already has progressive springs, but the damping system is too primitive. The Racetech Gold Valve Emulators or the Cogent Dynamics usually improve the front suspension.

Last edited:
Thanks for the welcome all. Just rode my first 90 miles yesterday in the mountains...this bike is a torque monster for only 51 HP. it also handles well. Never owned a bike with a 17 in. Front wheel (always had dual sports with 21/19 in. fronts.) It sure turns in better in the corners.the suspension seems to be getting a little bit more compliant with the miles as well. Used to the soft suspension on off road dual sports. Also impressed with the auto trannywhich works flawlessly...you can hardly feel the shift points. Amazing technology..
Definitely needs a different windscreen. Will check for threads on that item& also ideas for racks & top load pannier boxes

Welcome to the jungle.

I had a DR650 for 5 years and she had 75000km. Zero issues.

Yes super reliable. Mine is an 05 had since new and also zero issues. Awesome bike & still have it, and just got back from doing a trans Florida on/off road two day ride with it. BMW GS guys event & bike week. 10 days of camping. and then found my 13' 700DC :cool:

Welcome aboard Fred. You are right about the torque, it surprises me sometimes. Agree on the DCT too, it can spoil you. The low COG makes it easier to handle than many lighter bikes. The NC is a gem of a motorcycle.

Clock is up to 200 miles now. did a fill up with still a third of a tank by the dash indicator.... holy smokes.... 66 miles to the gallon riding in the mountains and some highway 70 mph on a brand new engine. that is amazing! What a bike. I love this thing.

I read that 7 page engineering development post someone put on here. That was very interesting how they zeroed in on the demographics and built the engine with a specific vibration. It sounds like my 07 V-Strom or a Ducati 90 degree twin, and the whole auto trans is a marvel. 8 great tomatoes in that little bitty can!
Thought I would be using the manual mode more but not the case. The auto modes just work so well with just a downshift manual input once in awhile. Can wait to get out and put some looong distance miles on this horse. Like Newfoundland this summer.

Back