• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Kawasaki Versys 300 ABS

I think you missed the real point of what I was saying. I'm not saying you should rush out and get a WR and do a few mods -- I'm saying the Kawi 300 is ultimately going to feel like a "half-measures" machine to many people

Then those riders should probably not buy it ;-)

To me and the type of riding I actually do, the W250R would be a "half-measure" compared to what the Versys offers. No factory luggage, itty-bitty tank, sky-high seat, easily blown around in the highway, much less substantial feeling, etc. Now that I think about it, ALL motorcycles on the Planet are probably considered "half-measures" by someone ;-)

The KTM Six-Days guys are shaking their heads as to why anyone would pay good money for a W250R since to them, the Yamaha is a 'half-measure" ;-)

Don't even get me started on what KTM guys think of the "half-measure" 625+lb "dual-sport" GS Adventure (ok, they might be right).

There are things a KTM, BMW, Versys, or W250R do really, really well and things they do ok, and other things they do terrible. Key is to match your riding with what is important to you.

Maybe that is why we all don't ride similar motorcycles ;-)

I did ride my buddies W250x something...was the Moto version they made a few years back....A total hoot but felt like a bicycle with a big motor to me. I was on a Goldwing at the time, so I guess anything I swung a leg over would seem like a bicycle so maybe I'll give it another look. Thanks for your comments, but with all this "half-measure talk I hope they don't lead me to a Six-Days that I can't afford ;-)

Last edited:
Repeat: I''m not saying the WR or any other 250 dualsport like the CRF250L is the answer for ADV. But I don't have high regards for the 300 either -- other than price -- though it may fit your area and roads/tracks well. I can understand though, that for the price and the pre-made package that it's going to be highly attractive to some. So what appears to be dissing of it to you is just coming from what I want in a one-bike-does-it-all reasonably well mindset. You may get one and love it and actually stay with it for a long time.

...Actually, if I didn't have the time restraints that keep me from going on multi-days I'd probably have gotten the CBR500X with a Rally Raid package, instead of the NC which I got because it was a killer deal at the time. Though now that CBR500X is a available used, who knows....

Have to laugh at all the chowderhead comments below this article and a couple more on ADV Pulse, it seems like people are hidebound, one and all. Perhaps that's why low-maintenance, reliable, lower-mid displacement ADVs never get developed by parent companies ; } --

Why the New CB500X Adventure Makes a Great Bike for the TAT

What I don't like about most of these approaches is when one DOES venture off pavement if the machines do get dumped hard there's still too much extra body crap to bust up, or to get at the innards as easily.

I tried the Rally Raid CB500X and didn't get on with it especially on the road. On tarmac its handling felt vague to me. It had the full kit and while it handled some rough offroad sections well I would have struggled to pick it up if dropped. I also felt it to be excessively top heavy. That is not surprising as it was designed with a certain amount of height and suspension travel which has been lengthened by the kit, thereby making a mid weight bike inevitably more top heavy by virtue of its height. I am a fan of the little CB as it has a brilliant motor and I could see myself owning one at some point, but not with the RR kit. Obviously a younger stronger owner would cope much better.

While on the subject of mini ADV bikes don't forget the new BMW 310 GS. Designed in Germany, made in India with a price like the Kawa 300 versys!

Stock is limited and I think a few are traveling around the U.S. to BMW dealerships. The dealer in Tucson told me they should have one for a few days at the end of next month. Has anyone seen one in person?

While on the subject of mini ADV bikes don't forget the new BMW 310 GS.
I haven't seen one in person but the cast wheels wouldn't do it for me. Knowing BMW, there will be a "Dakar" or "Adventure" version of the little GS soon with spoke wheels and more oriented to true off pavement riding but of course at a higher price.

For now, today the best lightweight "Adventure" tourer is the Kawaski Versys 300. It can go anywhere, has great touring range, spoke wheels, a real dealer network (unlike BMW) and is pretty inexpensive. That is a lot of clicked boxes ;-)

As soon as the local dealers get the snowmobiles off their floor I'm going to check it out.

Last edited:
From what I'm reading so far out of all these new 250-310 smaller ADV bikes the Versys seems to be the one they are taking very seriously.

The others seem to need quite a bit more work before they are going to be accepted in the ADV community as serious contenders (at least that is what I have been reading), and the CSC does as well... but you will have an extra $2,000 to use on the CSC to bring it to where you want it.

I would look real hard at the CSC and what an extra $2,000 could do to enhance that bike for off road, then compare it to the others, once it's price matches them. Although there is some worth in a good solid Brand name, and of course parts availability, but I suspect the CSC will be pretty good with parts availability as they have had several years to establish themselves now.

I have read allot of good things about the NC500X as a good ADV bike... it isn't cheap but they have some really nice accessories for setting it up for ADV riding.

Looks like I am going to be able to check a Versys 300 out in about a week. I won't be buying one but I do like the people at my local Kawi dealership.

I sat on one in Dallas at the show there. It felt light and fairly tall. I like the other two versys bikes already. I think the 1000 LT would be my bigger bike / touring choice if I wanted more power than the nc.

DR650....Weight in the 300's. Simple engine. Will cruise at 75-80 loaded. If you are short like me, its got a built in lowering adjustment. Not too expensive. Lots of aftermarket stuff. I miss mine, but I wanted a bike with ABS. I also had a 750 Nighthawk I see the NC as the marriage of the two. Although, the NC got the Nighthawk's weight.

IMG_20140621_194103_578_zpsfc9e13l9.jpg

Yeah the 350+ pound DR has an incredible aftermarket, and can be farkled to be more roadable as well as more capable off-road. Not refined on the road, but not bad. The simple design is largely unchanged for decades. The money to get a used one that is already set up for real adventure makes the KLR its only real competitor for the budget minded.

I added the Cogent suspension. A previous owner had cut the air box and fouled up the jetting. I got it running well before I finally sold it. I was always amazed at both the acceleration and the tractor ability. It saved my *** more than once when I would find myself in a tight space in the wrong gear.

When in the mountains, I found the twisties to be easy riding. I guess that's why motards are made from dual sports. Just doesn't have the top end of a street bike.

One interesting touch on a DR that I almost bought was Linex on the side panels. Added a little weight, but sure seemed to deal with dirt bike bruises real well.

Looked at one today. Lots of good reviews on line. The 250 version has been popular in the far east for awhile. I could be interested in this for a lighter bike to ride more off road than my NC. Talked with a fellow who says it can cruise at 80+ mph and get over 90 if wanted.

I got a chance to take a look at one on the dealer floor. Was much more substantial looking than I thought it would be. I didn't get that itty-bitty beginner bike vibe at all. It was an ABS model and I was impressed with the whole package.

Really liked the spoke wheels and think the 19 inch front is good size for the bike. Makes about the same hp as the DR 650 and is probably just as good off pavement and better on, but I did notice the red line was indeed around 12,000 rpm on the analog tach (!). The mighty-mouse twin might sound pretty sweet with a pipe on it ;-)

My DCT is listed at 505 lbs wet by Honda so the Versys is about 110 or so lbs less and it did feel lighter just sitting on it and making varoom, varoom noises.

The Ninja 250/300 has been Kawaski's largest seller by volume for about the last 15 years but I think the baby Versys will take the crown away. It just looks too cool and clicks too many boxes for a lot of riders, especially entry-level.

Makes about the same hp as the DR 650 and is probably just as good off pavement
You'd be wanting to look at general dirt-oriented ergos, steering rake, wheelbase (not to mention 21 versus 19) and suspension before making such proclamations ; } -- the DR does real well off-road for its weight especially if the suspension has been altered a little. It's the most off-road oriented of all the 650s commonly pressed into service for trips that include real dirt.

and better on
Yep.

You'd be wanting to look at general dirt-oriented ergos, steering rake, wheelbase (not to mention 21 versus 19) and suspension before making such proclamations ; }
Nope. Off pavement I think the Versys would be just as good. Not interested in going off road, which is whole other thing ;-)

Here is a picture of my 1/2 ton (seriously, no joke!) Hondapotomus during a 300+km off pavement ride to the Arctic Circle. Good thing I never dropped it...I would still be there ;-) This the kind of riding I would do on the Versys. This particular road is about 740 km of gravel and shale with zero services for the first 320 km or so.
P1010138-L.jpg

Last edited:
Nope. Off pavement I think the Versys would be just as good.

Sorry. Just not seeing it. It will be good enough to do a lot of traveling though, and probably a lot nicer to deal with than a larger ADV unless it's a real bear like the KTMs.

EDIT: Not trying to lump on this machine, just trying to keep perspective. It certainly looks like a great value from a company that does good work. And it should sell well. It could really wake the market up again from the bottom up, and that means that the chances of seeing some similar choices with perhaps slightly larger engines and a little more suspension are better. I could enjoy this machine, I know.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just watched this video review. Sounded good until he stated that the bike is turning 7100 rpm at 60mph in 6th gear... 55mpg is what is he saying he thinks is worst case for fuel economy. Making me quite thankful for the NC. Only thing I wish we had on the NC was a bigger fuel tank.

[video=youtube;cXXgZGM2hNo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXXgZGM2hNo[/video]

Yeah, I recall reading a comparison between the Ninja 300 and the CB500 when they were introduced. It was remarked that CB500 fuel economy could actually be better and that the power application was way smoother and needed less attention to get the best out of it -- but we've seen how the different engine design philosophy has made it even more so with the NC. I'm sure they've done what they can to improve delivery in the low end for the Versys 300, but the power plant is definitely going to show its origin still...

Back