• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Laid it down...I'm an idiot.

tromba

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, coming home from work this evening...going around the cul-de-sac and....

Apparently, crushed sticks are slick. Didn't see them....I'm an idiot.

Damage = Minor mirror scrape, bar end scrape...huge blow to ego!

All is well!

The trick is to run out of luck about the time you get a pocket full of experience. I did the same thing on a wet paint stripe not long after starting out. This kind of experience stays with with is and is well worth a bar end or paint scrape.

Hey, it happens. I dropped my Honda ST a couple of days after I bought it in a Harley Davidson dealership. I was pulling into the last available spot and grabbed too much front brake. I had about 200 witnesses that day. I have not pride left so I just ride ;)
Mike

Bummer, glad to hear you weren't hurt. So nothing silver touched down? If any of the black painted stuff got scraped up, a "sharpie" makes a great temporary touch up tool. Makes the scratches not as noticeable.

WGW

No silver was touched. No one witnessed....I just whistled as I pushed the bike around the cul-de-sac into my driveway. It wouldn't start at first so I was a bit concerned...however, it started after about 1 minute and runs fine now. I swear, it happened so fast. I was on the ground wondering...how did that happen! Oh well, Sharpie to the bar end rescue.

Tromba- glad you were not cruising at high speeds and that you did not get hurt. That has always been a fear I have had when riding the wooded counryside roads in the fall, as the leaves are falling. I envy dirt bike riders (like my brother in law) who had the opportunity, while growing up, to develop both the reflex and the skills to handle a bike in a crisis like you encountered.
Interesting point about the bike not starting... until a minute or so has elapsed. I wonder if there is a sensor switch that shuts the system down, like in a car??
Ed

There is a bank sensor that cuts power to the fuel delivery system when the bike goes beyond a certain angle from vertical. IIRC its about 61 degrees. I assume it resets after a time.

I think it resets after a key cycle. So, just upright the bike, turn the key all the way off, then back on and it should start.

WGW

Tromba, glad you're ok. Great tips & suggestions from other members. And, yes, the engine shuts on tip-over. It is by design. I like Bug Dr's comment...
I had about 200 witnesses that day. I have not pride left so I just ride.
That just about sums it up.

Last edited:
I have learned never to apply the front or rear breaks when any gravel, stones, or anything else that is slick is noticed. If you do, make sure you are at a slow speed and your feet are off the pegs and close to the surface. Watch for loose gravel, sand, and stone after a heavy rain. This is a problem in the mountains of Western NC. Watch those painted surfaces especially when it is wet.

Bug Dr. is correct. Wipe away your pride and just ride. This experience can be a life saver in the future.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing your story and glad you weren't hurt. A good reminder how perilous it can be out there.

I came very, very close to wiping out today at low speed. I was turning right from a standing stop and accelerated in the turn. There was water on the road from somebody watering the street more than their lawn with a poorly adjusted sprinkler system. Obviously, my rear wheel started slipping in the turn and I only narrowly avoided dumping it. It certainly woke me up and got my heart beating.

I wouldn't have gotten hurt in this incident, but I'm sure the bike would have been. I've got some Givi crash bars on order and I really want to get them on the bike.

There have been at least 2 motorcycle deaths in the Omaha area in the last few days. One was on a Harley which supposedly spontaneously locked up its brakes causing the crash. (Is that possible?) The other was a rider who was hit by an SUV in unexplained circumstances.

Ride safe everybody, be visible, drive defensively and pray a lot.

Back