• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Lane Sharing Promoted by Wired Magazine

Its getting more attention in CA. Currently, there is no law prohibiting it but there is proposed legislation making its way through CA State government to make it legal with some restrictions for safety purposes. My local media is conducting informal public polls on the topic which in my opinion are not focusing on those who lane share responsibly. One poll I looked at showed over 70% NOT in favor of it. There was also a short media clip showing a huge H-D trying to squeeze through something the rider shouldn't have attempted. So far, its looking favorable to pass and I'm all for it provided its done in a safe and sane manner.

In the past AMA magazine, it stated Oregon is trying to get lane splitting legalized, as long as traffic is moving <10mph and the biker is <20mph.

Take a look at the comments section on the wired article...

People are bastards*
I've rarely see calls for trying to kill people followed by such a smug sense of superiority... at least outside of ISIS recruiting videos.

*especially on the internet when they think they are anonymous.

In the past AMA magazine, it stated Oregon is trying to get lane splitting legalized, as long as traffic is moving <10mph and the biker is <20mph.

That's all I really want. I hate sitting on the interstate in the blazing sun in rush hour traffic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In some states that will never work and IMHO should stay illegal.
Only in America I've seen drivers wanted to kill somebody just for cutting him off....
just nuts.

In some states that will never work and IMHO should stay illegal.
Only in America I've seen drivers wanted to kill somebody just for cutting him off....
just nuts.

I take it you haven't watched even one single Russian Dash Cam video on YouTube? lol :p

I take it you haven't watched even one single Russian Dash Cam video on YouTube? lol :p

In those videos people get into fist fights over traffic. I don't think I've ever seen that in the states.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In just about all of the MC crash videos I've seen, the situation that makes the crash possible is Desparity of Speed.
Crashes seem to happen more when the rider is going appreciably faster than the surrounding traffic... just like you do when lane splitting.

No one likes being caught in stop-n-go traffic in 100 F weather, but (for me) what I gain from lane splitting (time) isn't worth the risk (collision).

In parts of Australia this is, or is becoming, legal. At last a grey area of law is being cleared up. It will have certain restrictions to do with speed and safety, but will greatly help congested traffic.

Probably shouldn't be tried on a fat HD, and certainly shouldn't be done when the traffic is moving at 90kmh, as someone did last week. That was scary to watch. But in low speed traffic it's got to be a good thing.

No one likes being caught in stop-n-go traffic in 100 F weather, but (for me) what I gain from lane splitting (time) isn't worth the risk (collision).

exactly my opinion, not worthy the risk. In Europe it's legal but I do it only when traffic is completely stopped, I'm in a hurry and there is enough space between.

[video=youtube;slMhgcwSqeM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slMhgcwSqeM[/video]

Probably shouldn't be tried on a fat HD, and certainly shouldn't be done when the traffic is moving at 90kmh, as someone did last week. That was scary to watch. But in low speed traffic it's got to be a good thing.

I rather like when big, loud HDs split lanes. I call them my linebackers - nobody can hear the NC coming.

I rather like when big, loud HDs split lanes. I call them my linebackers - nobody can hear the NC coming.

Your post reminded me of the time I got lectured by a pickup driver with a big H-D decal in the back window telling me my bike was too quiet and therefore unsafe...

There is no point in riding bike in Moscow without lanesplitting. People driving to office and back home in rush hours lanesplitting 90% of their way...

Idiots are worldwide. The thing is dashcams used mostly in Russia and some asian countries, and it feels that there are more idiots here.

Last edited:

I don't need watch youtube, been commuting in US for many years and I have seen with my eyes some really scary stuff on roads.

exactly my opinion, not worthy the risk. In Europe it's legal but I do it only when traffic is completely stopped, I'm in a hurry and there is enough space between.

[video=youtube;slMhgcwSqeM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slMhgcwSqeM[/video]

To me, this video, Is a perfect example of one person lanesplitting right, and one wrong. The rider with the camera is doing it right, overtaking just fast enough to not linger in blind spots, slowing to the speed of traffic when in doubt, letting people past. She's riding just about like I do on Socal freeways, letting lots of people pass. Dude who crashed was doing it wrong, agree with everything she said.

Lanesplitting on the highway is dangerous, I don't disagree. My belief, which is backed up so far by the research done on the topic, is that there are situations where you can avoid even more danger by lanesplitting. Used prudently, lanesplitting reduces your risk of being squished between two bumpers. I think in very heavy sub 20mph freeway traffic, not lanesplitting is increasing your risk.

When there is bumper to bumper or slow moving traffic, motorcycles should be allowed reasonable lane splitting as long as they go just a few miles per hour over traffic speed. But there are many factors involved such as size and maneuverability of the bike and pilot skills. As mentioned above, the video illustrates this perfectly. The guy on the HD was not in control, the sport bike driver was.

Back