• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Laundry Kit for doing your laundry while riding

netizen

Reaction score
nc700-forum.com
Just thought I'd put this out there. This is my laundry kit for doing my laundry while riding.

20 Gallon double ziplock bags (put dirty laundry in this along with water and a squirt of the concentrated laundry detergent and strap it to your bike while you ride to agitate all day)

Amazon.com: Ziploc Big Bag Double Zipper, 3 Jumbo Big Bags: Health & Personal Care

8 X concentrated laundry detergent with pump dispenser (Product Dimensions: 2.9 x 2.9 x 7.2 inches ; 14.9 ounces) (Large refill bottles available)

Amazon.com: Method 8X Concentrated Laundry Detergent 25 loads, Lavender Cedar: Health & Personal Care

At the end of your riding day, just dump out the wash water and rinse everything out, wring out your moisture wicking clothing (you are wearing quick dry moisture wicking aren't you?)

Then to dry it all (while riding the next day if it didn't dry overnight) a nice big mesh bag

Tavel Camping Hiking Sports Ultralight Mesh Stuff Sack Drawstring Bag Backpack | eBay

You could always dump the wash water and rinse, wring out and toss into the mesh bag half way through your day if you wanted to have the laundry done all in the course of one riding day.

Just thought I'd share....

I'd skip the zip loc and go for a dry bag... something a little more robust and clasp shut a bit tighter.

I'd skip the zip loc and go for a dry bag... something a little more robust and clasp shut a bit tighter.

I like the idea of keeping it in a more robust bag, but when you go to dump out the wash water and refill to rinse out, you may have trouble getting the bigger bag under a standard sink tap. That is the most likely way you will rinse out your clothes. But then there are likely some smaller waterproof bags that are more robust. I"m always looking for better ways so post if you find something that works well!

i tried riding with wet items in mesh last summer. Problem was I was on the TAT in Mississippi and I ended up with red mud pies.

I like the idea of keeping it in a more robust bag, but when you go to dump out the wash water and refill to rinse out, you may have trouble getting the bigger bag under a standard sink tap. That is the most likely way you will rinse out your clothes. But then there are likely some smaller waterproof bags that are more robust. I"m always looking for better ways so post if you find something that works well!

Amazon.com : Sea to Summit Lightweight Dry Sack : Boating Dry Bags : Sports & Outdoors

Comes in sizes as small as 1-2L (or roughly half a gallon for those of us in the US, or one growler of beer for those of us that measure everything in units of beer)

I have a couple of them in a larger size (40L, 10 gallons, or two pony kegs) for canoe camping, they are fairly thick and robust. smaller ones come in black would mean the water could be heated by the sun all day which might be a good thing (or a bad one, depending on what you are washing).

I usually follow what this guy says pretty closely when doing camp laundry:

Tips and Tricks - Canoe Trippin' with Maddy The Goose

Clothes line tip is really handy.

But I've never been on a moto-trip where I've had to do laundry and didn't have access to a hotel (sink/tub to wash, hair dryer to dry, or just leave it hanging over the tub to drip dry if you've got the time.)

Anglachel - this is what your guy says-
I'll go ahead and pack the washing machine. Don't worry, you're not going to break your back with this one, it weighs in at under an ounce and you quite possibly already have several - it's a large ziplock bag. It's best to get as large and tough as you can, I bring a 10.5 x 12" freezer bag.

I don't think the dry bag would keep water in. They are designed to keep water out. Keeping water in and under pressure - don't forget to strap it on! - is another game. I don't have experience in this, I'm just thinking out loud -which has gotten me into trouble on occasion :rolleyes:

Anglachel - this is what your guy says-
I'll go ahead and pack the washing machine. Don't worry, you're not going to break your back with this one, it weighs in at under an ounce and you quite possibly already have several - it's a large ziplock bag. It's best to get as large and tough as you can, I bring a 10.5 x 12" freezer bag.

I don't think the dry bag would keep water in. They are designed to keep water out. Keeping water in and under pressure - don't forget to strap it on! - is another game. I don't have experience in this, I'm just thinking out loud -which has gotten me into trouble on occasion :rolleyes:
He is also not strapping the bag to a motorcycle :)

Only thing I need to wash regularly on a trip is the budgie smugglers.. I have a stainless steel drink bottle they get thrown in with some left over hot water from the morning coffee and what ever soap i have on the bike..same principle applies, ride takes care of the rest. Good thing with the stainless bottle is it doubles as a hotwater bottle or pee bottle if its cold in the tent......(boiled water solves any cross purpose sensitivities one may have).

Discovering Merino wool has cured me of needing to worry about washing much else with any frequency on most trips.

I try to take as little as possible clothes wise when travelling. I try to wash as I go along in the sink for example, wash boxers, socks etc. I use quick drying gear and Dr Beckmans travel wash, it come in a small toothpaste type tube so does not take much space or weight, I also stuff wet or damp gear into a mesh bag as you do with a drawstring.

some biker lads on another forum just buy cheap underwear/T shirts and post them to various B&B's on their travels.
once they changed into clean underwear they just binned them.
you can get a packet of 3 T shirts for about $5.50 or cheaper pants about the same.

Back