• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Lithium Battery Swap-out

this is the one I just installed NOCO LiFePO Battery. About 400 miles in and it works great. Small, light, very flexible post mounting -- threaded posts so I don't have f#ck about with the tiny nuts on the old battery. I use an Optimate tender all the time to keep the thing healthy.

Nice find. I am finally pulling the trigger on a new NC750x with DCT and I am leaning toward replacing the battery with lith right away for the reason that it will be stored for months at a time, including winter, and from what I've read, the lithium battery will handle that just fine with no trickle charge.

Nice find. I am finally pulling the trigger on a new NC750x with DCT and I am leaning toward replacing the battery with lith right away for the reason that it will be stored for months at a time, including winter, and from what I've read, the lithium battery will handle that just fine with no trickle charge.
Check the specific lithium battery for cold storage temperature limits. I have lithium in my Zero motorcycle, and lithium in my camping trailer, but per their manufacturers, at some point in winter I need to bring both into a 45* F garage when the outside temperatures drop below certain points.

I purchased a Shorie lithium battery years ago and I gave the bike to my son-in-law. That battery is still going strong. Big $$. I think those NOCO batteries will work well and much cheaper. Just my two cents

I purchased a Shorie lithium battery years ago and I gave the bike to my son-in-law. That battery is still going strong. Big $$. I think those NOCO batteries will work well and much cheaper. Just my two cents
Dav2ison,
I've tried to find a Shorai battery specifically for a 2021 NC dct but the company's website is not helpful nor has customer service responded to my inquiry. Which model battery did you purchase?

Dav2ison,
I've tried to find a Shorai battery specifically for a 2021 NC dct but the company's website is not helpful nor has customer service responded to my inquiry. Which model battery did you purchase?
I'm assuming the NC750X uses the same battery as the NC700X. The Shorai web site lists two models for that. LFX18A1-BS12, and the LFX19A4-BS12 both are priced at 209.95. They compare to the OEM battery YTZ12S-D. Pretty pricey. I would look seriously at the NOCO battery as it's much cheaper, and the terminals look to be more rugged. I hope this info helps.

I'm assuming the NC750X uses the same battery as the NC700X. The Shorai web site lists two models for that. LFX18A1-BS12, and the LFX19A4-BS12 both are priced at 209.95. They compare to the OEM battery YTZ12S-D. Pretty pricey. I would look seriously at the NOCO battery as it's much cheaper, and the terminals look to be more rugged. I hope this info helps.
Very much so. Thanks.

Anyone know of a Li battery for our bikes that is NOT manufactured in china? The Shorai and the Antigravity are made there. TIA.

Dav2ison:
Thanks again for sharing the above information. In are there are others that are deciding to purchase a lithium battery let me share I decided to go with the Shorai battery - LFX18A1-BS12.
First I found that the Shorai could be charged with the Battery Tender that I already have and would not need to purchase a charger/tender specific for a lithium ion battery. (At some point I may make the purchase anyway.) Second Shorai noted (and I can confirm) that their battery comes charged at least 90% and within their instructions they suggest that the purchaser not charge the battery upon receipt. Again I can attest to that although it certainly could be the particular battery I received with 14v. After installation - bike started right up.
The Shorai battery is extremely light, especially in comparison to the OEM. Packaging comes with rubber spacers which are needed for installation to secure the battery and existing leather strap. And finally you were correct in noting that the Shorai LFX18A1-BS12 is on the expensive side but it was the right decision for me.
Thanks again for sharing your information with me and others.

Attachments

• Shorai Packaging.jpg
    Shorai Packaging.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 14
  • Shorai and OEM Battery Comparison.jpg
    Shorai and OEM Battery Comparison.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 14
  • Shorai and OEM Battery Comparison 2.jpg
    Shorai and OEM Battery Comparison 2.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 15
Nothing wrong with AGM either.
Keep it on a maintainer over the winter.
AGM battery weighs 13 pounds, no big deal.
Li battery's are over rated and expensive.
JMHO

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with AGM either.
Keep it on a maintainer over the winter.
AGM battery weighs 13 pounds, no big deal.
Li battery's are over rated and expensive.
JMHO
INTHEWIND I certainly agree with you that there's nothing wrong with an AGM battery. In my particular case my OEM lasted approximately 2 years and the problems that I had with it caused me to replace it with a lithium. The experience that I have with it will allow me to make a better decision the next time I have to purchase another battery.
Thx again for your input.

Dav2ison:
Thanks again for sharing the above information. In are there are others that are deciding to purchase a lithium battery let me share I decided to go with the Shorai battery - LFX18A1-BS12.
First I found that the Shorai could be charged with the Battery Tender that I already have and would not need to purchase a charger/tender specific for a lithium ion battery. (At some point I may make the purchase anyway.) Second Shorai noted (and I can confirm) that their battery comes charged at least 90% and within their instructions they suggest that the purchaser not charge the battery upon receipt. Again I can attest to that although it certainly could be the particular battery I received with 14v. After installation - bike started right up.
The Shorai battery is extremely light, especially in comparison to the OEM. Packaging comes with rubber spacers which are needed for installation to secure the battery and existing leather strap. And finally you were correct in noting that the Shorai LFX18A1-BS12 is on the expensive side but it was the right decision for me.
Thanks for sharing your experience so far with the lithium battey in the NC. Is there a reason you chose Shorai over NOCO? I’ll be looking into switching to lithium at my NC’s next bettery change, but then that could be 5 years away.

The AGM lead acid battery in my Ruckus is 8 years old now, and I’ll be looking into changing it’s battery probably next year. Maybe lithium?

Give us a long term experience report in the future.

Dav2ison:
I'm glad I could help. My experience with the Shorai battery lasted a few years and my son-in-law now owns the bike and that battery. I purchased the special battery charger for the Shorai, and found that eventually, the pins to connect the charger to broke off, so the use of the special charger stopped. He's still using the battery and it's till going strong after 8 years of use. Much lighter than a standard battery. When I'm in need of a new battery, I'll strongly consider the NOCO just based on price.

Thanks for sharing your experience so far with the lithium battey in the NC. Is there a reason you chose Shorai over NOCO? I’ll be looking into switching to lithium at my NC’s next bettery change, but then that could be 5 years away.

The AGM lead acid battery in my Ruckus is 8 years old now, and I’ll be looking into changing it’s battery probably next year. Maybe lithium?

Give us a long term experience report in the future.
670cc - The main reasons that I did not go with the Noco (14LP) is with the understanding that I would not have to charge the battery because it shipped 90% charged (as stated in the Shorai instructions) or if I needed to do so when receiving it or in the future that I could do so with the Battery Tender that I already own (as per Shorai instructions). As noted by INTHEWIND and Dav2ison lithium batteries, specifically Shorai, are expensive, which reminds me.
If you register on the Shorai website you will get a code for 10% off (WELCOME10) and I found that while I continued to contemplate my purchase I received an email for 15% off (BACK15) if I were to complete my purchase.

In consideration of the NOCO (14LP) it was somewhat difficult to get the exact measurements of the battery to compare it to the OEM (admittedly off a vendor website and not NOCO) and unless I misunderstood I would have to get a lithium charger/tender (probably a NOCO). Once you add the cost of the additional lithium charger/tender for the NOCO the total cost shifts in favor of the Shorai. I'm hoping that should I need to replace the battery in the far future that newer solid-state batteries will be available for MCs.

this is the one I just installed NOCO LiFePO Battery. About 400 miles in and it works great. Small, light, very flexible post mounting -- threaded posts so I don't have f#ck about with the tiny nuts on the old battery. I use an Optimate tender all the time to keep the thing healthy.
Doesn't the tender for LiFePO batteries need to be special. I thought regular tenders may be bad for lithium, not sure.

Doesn't the tender for LiFePO batteries need to be special. I thought regular tenders may be bad for lithium, not sure.
Good point. A simple battery maintainer intended for lead acid batteries won’t fully charge a LiFePO4 due to the battery voltage differences. There are small battery tenders that are switchable between battery types. I have one.

Not sure about this Lithium version, but I bought a regular YTZ14S AGM from Mighty Max and it was crap. It was marked as 230 CCA, I charged with an external charger and kept testing it. It never went above 180 CCA fresh out of a full charge. The load tester with the heating coil showed the current going down quickly, not lasting more than 2-3 seconds. I tried some electronic battery testers, and all of them said the battery should be replaced. The internal resistance of the battery was bad too, around 20 mOhm if I remember. The cost was just $40, ridiculously low, but at the end it is useless. I contacted Mighty Max and they told me to request the refund from Amazon. They were not surprised or apologetic for selling a bad battery, which means they probably know their batteries are just bad. I would stay away from Mighty Max for any battery they sell. And I would strongly advise to test the battery with a tester. The NOCO Lithium NLP14 I got instead could sit on 300CCA steady, curious what the Mighty Max Lithium does.

I’m using an Optimate 4 with no issues. Current info from Optimate says it will work on LiFePo, even though the original packaging didn’t mention it a couple years ago.

7 months in, inexpensive lithium batt works perfectly. Attached my old, switchable, (read; cheap-ass, $14, Chinese made) tender to it to give it a bump...still had a full charge after sitting for several weeks now. Starts instantly. This batt also saves a few pounds high in the CG.

This is pretty much the same experience as I have had in multiple large bikes (several big BMW's). If price is a big factor, a regular batt is fine. But, I will always replace the stock batts with Lithium when/if I have the few extra $$. No brainer.

This should hopefully close out this thread.

Sharing an update after approximately 6 months of using my Shorai lithium. Starts right up from the first and continues to today. Still registers 14.3v as measured on the dashboard function. And on those rare times I forget to switch to N before shutting the 2021 NC off the bike will still start right up. I can't say that I notice the reduced weight or can attribute any other objective changes but I'm glad I chose a lithium replacement.

Back