• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Question Looking for 1st NC750X - what model year?

BFlint

Reaction score
Visit site
At 6ft tall, I am looking for my 1s NC750X. There are a couple 2018 DCT's for sale in San Diego Craigslist, 1 with 19k and 1 with 5k miles. Both have commute/street use only. I want to outfit mine for backcountry trails/roads in the western states on BLM land. FYI, Its not just for backcountry because I would have to travel highways 800+ miles to get to the BLM land. For my height and purposing, I have the following questions:
1 - would a pre-2021 model be better for backcountry than 2021/newer models?
2 - would a non-DCT model be better for backcountry?
I currently ride a 2014 CB1100 and 2009 ST1300 for my daily ride & summer cross country adventures. Just can't get onto the BLM land with the clearance & street tires on those bikes
Thanks for any feedback. ")

As you know the pre 21's have more ground clearance and possibly better rear suspension for back roading as a result. I think DCT would be better for backroading. I have a friend that has been riding off road and dual sports for at least 40 years. I convinced him to try DCT on the Africa Twin he purchased several years ago. After crashing that bike he bought another DCT AT. When he had the first one 8000 miles he confided that he might have made a mistake with DCT. He didn't blame me but was thinking of maybe going back to a manual. Then he did one of those back country adventure rides with two friends on big bore 1190 and 1290 KTMs and one on a small displacement KTM, a 250 or 390 can't remember. It rained a lot on that ride, the Mid Atlantic Backcountry Discovery Route IIRC, and as he tells it the only bikes that consistently made it up the long slippery muddy climbs were the little KTM and his DCT AT. With traction control and near seamless application of power to the rear tire it remained hooked up when the higher powered bikes lost traction and spun up.

Hey I know you. Are you following me? (ST forum, CB forum, here lol?)

I think pre 2021 would probably be better offroad due to the longer suspension and at 6' tall it would probably be a better fit ergo-wise when stopped, but not any different when rolling.

Why an NC 750?

800 miles is a long way to go dirt bumping. Wonder if a used Super 10, or Africa Twin might be a better idea? or a KLR 600?

Just thinking out loud

Well, almost every dirt bike, trail bike, dual sport, and motocross motorcycle made has a manual transmission. So a manual would work fine in backcountry (assuming that means off pavement riding). But then a DCT would work OK, too, if you want to give it a try. The DCT model does weigh a little more than the manual.

Despite the NC750X being marketed by Honda as an adventure “styled” motorcycle, be aware that it is primarily just a street bike. If you want to do any serious off payment riding, expect to do some suspension modifications. It is nearly impossible to bring the NC to the off road capable level of a dual sport. Even with top level suspension mods, the travel is still short and the little 17 inch front wheel will always be a hindrance. I point that out not to say the NC is a bad motorcycle, but rather just to suggest the proper expectations. If the backcountry/trail riding is the main purpose (besides just getting to the trails), there are probably other better suited motorcycles.

I have researched may adv bikes in last year.. rode Suzuki DL1000 & BMW GS1250. Talked with many ADV riders on road. Was thinking Yamaha Super Tenere, but decided anything under 700cc to small for long distance ... anything over 1000cc to heavy for lifting if flopped over in dirt (I ride alone). This new to me ADV bike will spend 90% of its time on highway so the NC750x seemed about right for my needs ... plus its a Honda and relatively affordable. The upcoming Honda Transalp 750 looks interesting but not here yet. Also, more used NC750x available than others. Thanks to you all for feedback :)

Hey I know you. Are you following me? (ST forum, CB forum, here lol?) ....
Hey Mr Ferret, you are the man (also thanks for helping keep the CB1100 forum alive)! So I am age 67 and in pretty good health/shape and want to ride on all the western states BLM land that I drive by every summer ... just not sure if adv riding will agree with me or not (how many times can I fall over on a steep gravely grade before its not fun anymore?) ... so thought NC750x might be a cost effective way for me to try out some adv tires and tie on a backpack, pistol, and fishing gear :) If this experience doesn't turn to be a fun adventure than I can always resell it .... BUT I think it should work out ... I hope :)

BFlint,
Well Sir, this is the most accurate description and answer you need to consider:

Despite the NC750X being marketed by Honda as an adventure “styled” motorcycle, be aware that it is primarily just a street bike. If you want to do any serious off payment riding, expect to do some suspension modifications. It is nearly impossible to bring the NC to the off road capable level of a dual sport. Even with top level suspension mods, the travel is still short and the little 17 inch front wheel will always be a hindrance. I point that out not to say the NC is a bad motorcycle, but rather just to suggest the proper expectations. If the backcountry/trail riding is the main purpose (besides just getting to the trails), there are probably other better suited motorcycles.

We, the wife and I, just got back from a 3,100 mile RV trip around the western U.S. AZ, NV, UT, OR, WA, ID, WY, MT and back down through UT and AZ. We used our motorhome which carried the '20 NC750X DCT on the back of it and, we towed our pickup which carried our '18 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT Airbag. In all the riding, I put 806 miles on the NC and WE put 1,725 on the Wing. About 30-35% of the miles on the NC were off road. And the off roading was fairly mild to be sure. That is, much of it was rougher graded trail/roads leading to off road campgrounds and mountain views. I'd hit some 6" or so deep ruts and bumps every now and then and that was BAD NEWS for the NC.

One clean and graded, nice condition forest service roads, the NC will fair just fine. But, take it to the next level of rocky, rutted and bad condition trails, and the NC is definitely not in its element. Yes, Honda lables it as an "Adventure bike" but, that's a sales pitch. It will appeal to more riders due to that name/branding. I used to own a TRUE adventure bike. It was an '18 Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sports DCT. I loved it. But, it was a seriously tall and super top heavy bike.

I knew that giving up that Africa Twin, and going to the NC was sacrificing a ton of off road capability but, at 70+ years old, that kind of sacrifice is welcome.

Anyway, you really need to realize that the NC is a "make believe" Adventure bike. It's barely capable of mild off roading as it sits, without any form of loading like panniers and bags and boxes. You load ANY kind of weight like all that, and you've lost pretty much ALL the suspension it does have. As much as I love the NC and the DCT, if it were me, I'd go for the Tenere, or the standard Africa Twin DCT not the Adventure Sports model. And there's plenty more out there that are more capable.
Scott

Anyway, you really need to realize that the NC is a "make believe" Adventure bike. It's barely capable of mild off roading as it sits, without any form of loading like panniers and bags and boxes. You load ANY kind of weight like all that, and you've lost pretty much ALL the suspension it does have. ...
Thanks for feedback. Realize its not an adv bike by design and that suspension mods could be required. That said, you can put adv tires on any bike with adequate torque and go "offroad" (like in the 70's) ... even have a relative in Washington that did BDR's with an FJR (he changes moto rides every year for the fun of it). So that's kind of where my mindset is at the moment. Some risk involved but I have watched many NC700/750x YouTube videos from folks around the world and they seem to have "adventured" successfully. Biggest thing I don't like about the NC750x is small gas tank and its location but a 1gal rotopak eases that concern. All in all, any moto travel is supposed to be an adventure with minor setbacks and disappointments. As of today, not sure what moto I will end up with ... 3 left fingers ran into a tablesaw blade two weeks ago so I am out of commission for 4-6 more weeks. Thanks again:)

OUCH!!!!!!!!!
I've been around table saws my whole life and have on occasion, got too close with minor bites here and there. They are a great tool but, they can get mean if you're not paying attention. Anyway, yes, there are quite a few examples of NC's (both 700's and 750's) venturing off road in Youtube videos and more. But, if you listen to the narrative in about 99.9999% of them, they state those bikes are very limited in capabilities but you can venture off road "some". As long as you're aware of its limitations and short-comings, and ride with due regard to them, you should be fine.

Yep, my NC came 2,100 miles on the clock. It had 90/10 tires on it. When I decided to paint it because it was ALL BLACK, I also decided to break the tires and wheels down and have the black wheels powder coated a bright silver and, while I was at it, I purchased some new Shinko 705 series 50/50 tires. Not only do they look SERIOUSLY better on the bike (along with SILVER WHEELS!) but, I wanted a way better performing tire IF I decided to go off road in any fashion.

The bike does ok off road. That is, first off, I'm no motocrosser so, no 50' jumps, no power slides, no crossed up situations and all that. I'm a meager off roader. But even being that meager, along with my weight and size, I'm taxing that NC to the limits. I realize that and I don't over ride that bike. Ever since I purchased my Africa Twin a few years ago, I learned about and wanted to venture into at least some of those "BDR's". I think it would be total fun time. And that would include some "moto-camping" too. What a great thought. Butttttt, at 70+ years old and worn out, I think my "venturing out and moto-camping days" are pretty much long gone.
Scott

P.S. Here's what mine looks like after painting it and the newly powder coated wheels with the 50/50 tires.
Scott

Attachments

• IMG_6997.JPG
    IMG_6997.JPG
    4.8 MB · Views: 22
Last edited:
I think the NC is more capable off pavement than a lot of riders are and while I don't know what BLM roads entail it should do fine within riders' expectations and limitations. In the time I have been around this forum there have been a lot of owners that did what I consider pretty serious off road riding on several continents. I don't do any thing more difficult than "somewhat" maintained gravel or hard pack shell/linestone forest roads and those on street tires but some of these roads up in the Smokies have loose gravel, ruts, and washouts and I do OK.

This recent thread below is worth a read and the attached RideApart review in PDF might raise an eyebrow. The article is no longer on the web or at least I couldn't find it but I have a copy in my three ring binder All Things NC. Sorry the pages are rotated and I don't have a PDF editor.

Attachments

• RideApart Taste of Daker 2013 NC700X review.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 19
I think the NC is more capable off pavement than a lot of riders are and while I don't know what BLM roads entail it should do fine within riders' expectations and limitations. In the time I have been around this forum there have been a lot of owners that did what I consider pretty serious off road riding on several continents. I don't do any thing more difficult than "somewhat" maintained gravel or hard pack shell/linestone forest roads and those on street tires but some of these roads up in the Smokies have loose gravel, ruts, and washouts and I do OK.

This recent thread below is worth a read and the attached RideApart review in PDF might raise an eyebrow. The article is no longer on the web or at least I couldn't find it but I have a copy in my three ring binder All Things NC. Sorry the pages are rotated and I don't have a PDF editor.

I would like to second that the NC is much more capable than people want to give it credit for. I raced motocross until I was 30. I was b class amateur in district 3 and my home track just outside of town is Unadilla. I switched to adventure motorcycling as I increased my family size and wanted to slow down. I’m turning 40 and on the road wished the NC could pull harder than it does, but as soon as I hit truck trails and forestry roads, am always smiling at how well the power is delivered. I will say that the NC has a very good off road stability at speed and tends to drive through rough terrain more than over terrain. This couples with adventure big block style tires will boost confidence in all things deceleration related. Major drawback is slow speed weight. Learn some very basic trials techniques with balance, and the NC has a sneaky sense of being very stable. I was happy with my 2013 crf250L, 2018 KLR650 both equipped and over modified with every internet recommendation. I sold the CRF before I bought the KLR and I bought the 2019NC and rode both bikes for two years before I realized that I was favoring the NC for off road and adventuring in almost every situation. The only time I’d go with the KLR was when I was going to go into single track or go through some terrain where I needed the extra few inches of clearance. Even then, I truly believe it was a psychological justification in my mind to show the KLR was useful. After the second year, I sold the KLR and have been using the NC as my sole ride. I am on the fence of buying a crf450l for strictly the purpose of maybe having a dual sport capable of entering the GNCC when it comes to town… whatever ride you decide on, love what you buy! I have had guys on full baggers and cruiser tires respectfully keep me within sight on forestry roads as the locals all grew up driving these conditions. I believe it’s mainly the rider and not the bike. Cheers

thanks for pdf ... easily able to rotate 90 degrees in pdf viewer :)

So before I pulled the trigger on buying a pre-2021 stock nc750x , I did prelim calcs on costs for adv touring mods ... estimated $2100-$3000 not including tax, shipping, & any labor. Most expensive item is rear shock which I figure is mandatory for my 6ft/240lb frame and heavy touring pack load, Have to think a bit more on this :)

So before I pulled the trigger on buying a pre-2021 stock nc750x , I did prelim calcs on costs for adv touring mods ... estimated $2100-$3000 not including tax, shipping, & any labor. Most expensive item is rear shock which I figure is mandatory for my 6ft/240lb frame and heavy touring pack load, Have to think a bit more on this :)
Only if you want to outfit it to look like a BMW adventure bike. Soft bags work just as well as those big aluminum ammo can looking boxes. You could get soft saddlebags and a tail pack for under $500.

B0HC3XJh.jpg

R414PH1h.jpg

Hey BFlint,
Just wondering. I see you're from or in San Diego. May I ask, what part? We're X-Ramona people ourselves. We got out before Newsom got his meat hooks into the state.
Scott

Only if you want to outfit it to look like a BMW adventure bike. Soft bags work just as well as those big aluminum ammo can looking boxes.
Hey Mr Ferret ... got it, but you know me ... I pack the kitchen sink (per my novice YouTube channel SDMotoBill). I do heed what folks have mentioned that off-pavement can require more/better suspension damping ... especially with my kitchen sink pack & 240lbs of muscle :) My first moto was a 1974 Honda XL250 (45 years ago) so I kinda understand that off-pavement is different that on-road. Don't want to ignore that to my demise :)

Ahhhh, know it fairly well. I was stationed right close to there in Station 34, San Diego Fire. Still have family in both Ramona and El Cajon, near 52 and 67.
Scott
Funny… when I was 9 years old that’s the fire station I rode to on my new used bicycle to get it licensed…. An actual thing back in the 1960s

Funny… when I was 9 years old that’s the fire station I rode to on my new used bicycle to get it licensed…. An actual thing back in the 1960s
"9 years old......'60's.....
I figure you're in your late '60's, possibly 70? And yep, I probably issued oh, maybe a few hundred bike licenses in my tenure with SDFD.
Scott

Back