• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Looking for a different helmet

I always prefer to try my helmets on before purchasing rather than buying on line
+100

PLEASE buy your helmet where you can try different models/brands/sizes for fit. As mentioned in another post, many Arai dealers will take the time to help you get the proper fit and they offer models for different head shapes. Too many folks get helmets that are too loose and therefore won't do the job right when its needed.

I happen to have an Arai Profile (for the long-oval head rather than the round head) and have no problem fitting my prescription glasses on after I put on the helmet. BTW Arai has a proven record of great support after sales.

If you insist on an online purchase (and check it yourself when buying in a store), enquire about the Date of Manufacture (month/year). DOT requires that it be in the helmet somewhere (stamped on the strap D-Ring in an Arai) and it is not the same as the Snell/DOT tag year.

There's a reason that mfrs recommend replacement after 5 years and all racing organizations prohibit use of helmets older than 5 years, and it has nothing to do with how much you wear it (all the plastics and foam break-down with simple passage of time). I've seen many folks "thrilled" with their helmet "deal" 'till I looked at the DOM and pointed out its been sitting in a warehouse for 2+ years.

That's good to know, which brings up another question. Those with xl helmets, have you had problems trying to get it to fit in the frunk?

My Arai Profile, size XL, fits. It's snug, but it fits and doesn't scrape the shield/visor.

+100

PLEASE buy your helmet where you can try different models/brands/sizes for fit. As mentioned in another post, many Arai dealers will take the time to help you get the proper fit and they offer models for different head shapes. Too many folks get helmets that are too loose and therefore won't do the job right when its needed.

I happen to have an Arai Profile (for the long-oval head rather than the round head) and have no problem fitting my prescription glasses on after I put on the helmet. BTW Arai has a proven record of great support after sales.

If you insist on an online purchase (and check it yourself when buying in a store), enquire about the Date of Manufacture (month/year). DOT requires that it be in the helmet somewhere (stamped on the strap D-Ring in an Arai) and it is not the same as the Snell/DOT tag year.

There's a reason that mfrs recommend replacement after 5 years and all racing organizations prohibit use of helmets older than 5 years, and it has nothing to do with how much you wear it (all the plastics and foam break-down with simple passage of time). I've seen many folks "thrilled" with their helmet "deal" 'till I looked at the DOM and pointed out its been sitting in a warehouse for 2+ years.

Time for my soap box again.

I agree with your points on proper helmet fit, and that many helmets that are purchased are oversized for the buyers head.

I hear about helmet replacements being due at 4 or 5 years due to aging of the materials. My beef to the manufacturers: It doesn't say much good about the product quality if it won't last very long. In this day and age, can't you develop materials that last longer? Should that not be a higher priority, the protection of the wearer, than built-in sunglasses and fancy graphics? No, I guess not, if it means 5 year repeat sales due to the supposedly poor materials used.

My beef to the dealers: Dealers preach the same replacement interval due to the materials aging. Yet, they don't prorate a helmet price based on age. A dealer will happily sell you a helmet that is 4 years old at full price, and then in another breath tell you a helmet is only good for 4 or 5 years.

Greg

I agree with your points on proper helmet fit, and that many helmets that are purchased are oversized for the buyers head.

I hear about helmet replacements being due at 4 or 5 years due to aging of the materials. My beef to the manufacturers: It doesn't say much good about the product quality if it won't last very long. In this day and age, can't you develop materials that last longer? Should that not be a higher priority, the protection of the wearer, than built-in sunglasses and fancy graphics? No, I guess not, if it means 5 year repeat sales due to the supposedly poor materials used.

My beef to the dealers: Dealers preach the same replacement interval due to the materials aging. Yet, they don't prorate a helmet price based on age. A dealer will happily sell you a helmet that is 4 years old at full price, and then in another breath tell you a helmet is only good for 4 or 5 years.

Greg

CAVEAT EMPTOR! I always check the marking on a helmet to check its age before buying

My bucket only last me for about two years before I'm looking for a replacement anyway. Helmets are like computers, the stuff that is in today's top of the line, can be bought tomorrow for half the price.

(snip).....

Greg
Greg - I'm not so on board with you as far as the helmet mfr part of your comments ... I can understand their focus being on the development of helmet structure and features and leaving the very different and costly development of foam/hardshell chemistry to folks like DuPont, etc that have the huge RD departments and experience required for that highly specialized task. I do think that mfr's could help with the 'out of date' problem by scaling production and distribution closer to demand so inventory doesn't sit on the shelf for years.

As far as the "dealer" part of your comments, I’m pretty much on board even though “dealer” is a broad brush. I buy lots of MC stuff online but have always bought protective gear at a brick-and-mortar storefront that is not part of a national chain but is a local dealer that survives and thrives by providing truly great service, including informed education, to each individual customer rather than by volume sales to the unknowing masses. Yes, I pay a premium for that service but am very glad to do so in return for the long-term value they provide.

To wit – Moto Liberty in Dallas and San Antonio is such a dealer. Yes, they do a substantial online sales business but they’re brick-and-mortar based and have long-term, low-turnover staff that’s interested and informed about their products. I don’t think I’ve ever seen an ‘old’ helmet sold by Moto Liberty – they’re conscious of the issue and keep their inventory fresh or do offer a discount on old stock. I suggested above that you ask about DOM if buying a helmet online, but in fact most online sellers with either outright lie or if you’re lucky honestly tell you they can’t check that on a specific helmet before shipping due to their warehouse inventory/shipping system.

I’ve found Moto Liberty’s (and there are other similar dealers scattered around the nation) business model to be in huge contrast to most multi-line ‘powersports dealers’ and the popular large national chain of storefronts for MC accessories that I’ll leave un-named. Search-out those local dealers that provide real service, even though they likely charge close to MSRP prices to support the cost of the service they provide. Support those dealers to keep ‘em in business against the hoard of price-cutting, mass volume online vendors.

So, to a large extent, my ‘rant’ is against buyers that are uninformed, don’t recognize the value of ‘real service’ and shop for price above all. That’ll be the reason that eventually you won’t find the quality of service you really need.

End of ‘rant’. :cool:

BTW, as far a 'low-cost' helmets and limited 5-year life ... I've been a motorcyclist for 40+ years and view that as a normal cost of the extraordinary joy of riding.

But then, I buy soft-compound tires and gladly replace 'em often because all-weather traction is more important than high mileage to me.

What's your head worth? ;)

BTW, as far a 'low-cost' helmets and limited 5-year life ... I've been a motorcyclist for 40+ years and view that as a normal cost of the extraordinary joy of riding.

But then, I buy soft-compound tires and gladly replace 'em often because all-weather traction is more important than high mileage to me.

What's your head worth? ;)

Very true like most pleasures in life motorcycling comes at a cost. Hopefully only financial

Back