• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Looking for Hippo Hands Recommendations

Doc True

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm looking to replace my old-style Hippo Hands for one of their newer sets. Has anyone fit a set recently to a DCT? Also, any recommendations for an equivalent product would be appreciated.

My old set doesn't have much insulation and it fits alright, but it doesn't fit great around the parking brake.

2014 NC700X, DCT

I use Kemimoto Handlebar Muffs (although I never use the parking brake) . With heated grips they make warm little caves for your hands. This morning's ride was 32 degrees and I was wearing thin deerskin gloves making it easy to feel the switches and I had the Oxford heated grips on 30% and my hands were toasty

I'll post up some pics when imgur comes

My Oxford Heated Grips are working fine but this year when I ride in temperatures less than 40 degrees my little finger, ring finger, and back of hand are getting chilled. I have ordered the Kemimoto Handlebar Muffs. Waitting on delivery this week.

This morning's 45 mile ride was at 17 degrees and for awhile I had my Oxford heated grips on 50% but it was too hot and I lowered them to the 30% level for most of the ride. My hands were fine. My toes got cold though lol.

lol what are possum socks?
Socks made from a blend of merino wool and Australian possum fur. Possum fur is hollow like a polar bear and has natural oils that mitigate odor. They're also super soft.

I bought them from this company. They're owned by a motorcycle/bicycle enthusiast.

@the Ferret - do you have Barkbusters or similar? I’m wondering if these will hold their shape without wind deflectors or if those are pretty much required for mitts generally.

@the Ferret - do you have Barkbusters or similar? I’m wondering if these will hold their shape without wind deflectors or if those are pretty much required for mitts generally.
No, no Barkbusters or the like, they just slip over the ends of the handlebars and the mirrors. They will deform at high speeds (which for me is 65-75 mph but not enough to impact the levers. They will let you know right quick though if you haven't memorized where your different switches are because you can't see them.

I second Pearly‘s Possum Socks, my wife bought me a set several years ago, and being in the Deep South, 45is cold but the socks are very warm and comfortable. And when I go motocamping they seem to go 4 days in boots and still not evacuate the tent! They advertised on Adv-Rider radio (podcast)

I unpacked my Kemimoto handlebar muff for a test fit. I was concerned about fitting the muffs over 3 accessories I have installed. These are the GIVI Brush/wind guards (part no. HP1111), the Oxford Heated Grips controller on the right handlebar, and the Hi/Low bean selector for the auxillary driving lights on the left handlebar by the mirror.

The muffs will fit over the brush guards but the mirrors have to be removd first, then reinstalled once the muff is in place. Without the guards it looks like the muff can be installed leaving the mirrors in place. I'll propably remove the guards for winter so that on nice days I can remove the muffs.

My bike has the DCT and there is no mounting space for the Oxford controller by the left handlebar grip. The controller on my bike is mounted on the brake reservoir using the reservoir clamp screws. Rather than modify the muff by cutting a hole in it I elected to reloacted the controller to just left of the handlebar brackets. I used a spare ball mount from the parts box. I had to decapitate the ball mount to make room so the Oxford mounting plate can lay flat.

It looks like the Hi/low beam selector for the aux driving lights won't be a problem. Famous last words.

IMG_3769.jpgIMG_3765.jpgIMG_3766.jpgIMG_3767.jpg

Last edited:
The beauty of this setup if I need to do something requiring dexterity while riding, I stuff my left hand into my crotch, easily pull out my hand with the Asian cotton glove on, giving me good dexterity.
Riding in wet, cold conditions my hands and inserts never get wet and stay toasty warm. These are Cabelas XL insulated mittens I bought 25 years ago for less than $20. Large outerwear gives insulating air pockets and are much warmer than tighter fitting garments.

Attachments

• IMG_1056.jpeg
    IMG_1056.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1057.jpeg
    IMG_1057.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Back