• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Manually changing down on DCT

RantandRave

Reaction score
Visit site
Please be patient, I didn’t receive the owners manual with my 750 X DCT. when in D mode, can one use the paddle to downshift when engine is labouring? The previous owner said no, but a friend has said it’s quite acceptable. I would normally change to S mode.

The manual is stored in a small compartment at the bottom of the 'Frunk' (front storage compartment). It has a body panel clip- just press in the center line to release it and open the lid. A lot of people miss it.
You can downshift or upshift at will when riding. You can also change driver modes while riding from 'D' to 'S' or back by completely shutting off the throttle before pressing & holding the mode button.

Yes of course as posted above. If you are turning too many rpms to manually downshift another gear it will not let you nor will it allow an upshift when the rpms are too low.

Thanks everyone, just returned from a two hour pleasure ride, wow. Unfortunately hadn’t seen your replies so been in D mode, but next time! Thanks again.
Oh, sorry if this has been asked, but looking at oil change, got the filters, but decent oil here in France is like rocking horse muck. Motul seems to be best available in 10w 30 but in 7100 and 5100. Not sure which would be best.

It's a nice feature to be in Standard or D mode and you come into some downhill or uphill curves, or coming into a sharp curve, and you just thumb the downshift lever once or twice to get the revs and power up or induce more engine braking depending on the situation. Then coming out it upshifts on it's own back to normal.

You might also might notice that sometimes the trans will hold onto a gear a little longer than normal. I notice it when taking off in my neighborhood and then trying to hold a given speed like 35 mph. Seems like it doesn't know if I am about to accelerate or decelerate, so it holds the gear until it gets more throttle input. Perfectly normal and you will get used to it.

Oh, sorry if this has been asked, but looking at oil change, got the filters, but decent oil here in France is like rocking horse muck. Motul seems to be best available in 10w 30 but in 7100 and 5100. Not sure which would be best.
From a quick look at the Motul web site, both oil choices appear to meet Honda’s recommendations, so I would simply go with the less expensive one. From the specs, there is no justification for one over the other based on the engine’s requirements.

Thanks everyone, just returned from a two hour pleasure ride, wow. Unfortunately hadn’t seen your replies so been in D mode, but next time! Thanks again.
Both would be fine but as synthetic or a synthetic blend they are more than the NC750 needs. Any brand name 10w30 mineral oil based motorcycle oil will do you well. I have a thing against synthetic blend oils like 5100. The manufacturers have figured out how to charge synthetic prices for mineral oil based products.

I have a thing against synthetic blend oils like 5100. The manufacturers have figured out how to charge synthetic prices for mineral oil based products.
I also have a thing against synthetic blends, because the blend percentage is never revealed. An oil marketer could, for example, make a blend of 2% synthetic, and 98% mineral oil, slap on a pretty label that emphasizes the word synthetic, and raise the price. But I wouldn’t know what I was really getting. I’ll buy the synthetic blend only if the price is comparable to straight mineral oil.

I also have a thing against synthetic blends, because the blend percentage is never revealed. An oil marketer could, for example, make a blend of 2% synthetic, and 98% mineral oil, slap on a pretty label that emphasizes the word synthetic, and raise the price. But I wouldn’t know what I was really getting. I’ll buy the synthetic blend only if the price is comparable to straight mineral oil.
There is no definition of what a full synthetic is so there is that. There are oils marketed as full synthetic when they are actually blends of synthetic base stocks and mineral oils. Castrol vs Mobil court case decision in 1999 allowed marketing execs to define what is a full synthetic and what is a blend.

What a forum, great responses and answers. Thanks to everyone.
I’m glad the forum could assist you.

(As a side note, our maturity is on display here. We talked about oil briefly and didn’t turn this into an oil thread.)

My left hand can't operate the paddle shifters ,so on my Red bike , I accelerate to get it to downshift than hit the mt button on the rt hand switch when I'm in the desired gear ( 3rd on a lot of my rides in technical Twisties) on the black NC700XD I installed the Honda accessory foot shift kit and ride it in MT mode a lot and S mode when I cruising along

I prefer manual up shifting around town, let the DCT do the down shifting when needed.
The DCT in auto mode stays in the lower gears too long for my taste.

I prefer manual up shifting around town, let the DCT do the down shifting when needed.
The DCT in auto mode stays in the lower gears too long for my taste.
put it in sport mode.
why Honda has manual shift on a DCT ,I just don't get it.they don't do it on cars.
its an auto so leave it auto.
if you don't like DCT buy a manual

The manual is stored in a small compartment at the bottom of the 'Frunk' (front storage compartment). It has a body panel clip- just press in the center line to release it and open the lid. A lot of people miss it.
You can downshift or upshift at will when riding. You can also change driver modes while riding from 'D' to 'S' or back by completely shutting off the throttle before pressing & holding the mode button.
I'm intrigued as to the whereabouts of this secret compartment to store the owners manual. I have a '22 model and can see no such compartment at the bottom of the frunk. Would you have a picture of this compartment, perhaps with your finger pointing at it. All I have is the screwed down plates. Nothing which pops up with the press of a finger on a center line. Is this a new feature on the '23 model? A photo of the bottom of my '22 frunck is below for reference.
1688056089903.jpeg

put it in sport mode.
why Honda has manual shift on a DCT ,I just don't get it.they don't do it on cars.
its an auto so leave it auto.
if you don't like DCT buy a manual
actually, many cars with automatics do have "manual mode" by moving the shifter to the left or right away from "D," and then moving through the gears manually by toggling the gear shift or using paddles (if so equipped). This, to me, is "clutchless" manual shifting. I ride my 2015 DCT in "manual" 90% of the time, using the paddles or my installed foot shifter to manually change gears. I like the control and really like "clutchless" manual shifting -- this is especially true in the twisties of the mountains. I use engine braking a LOT in those situations, and don't care for the DCT shifting in the middle of a curve. I typically only use automatic on the highway.

Different strokes ...

Back