• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Michelin Pilot 4 Road Quick Review

The_Drifter

Reaction score
Visit site
I’m replacing my Michelin Pilot 4 Road with another Michelin Pilot 4 Road tomorrow. I’ve been very pleased with the tire. After just a few thousand miles on the tire, I got a flat and plugged it. The plugged worked great until recently, where it’s starting to leak a bit (I confirmed this by using soapy water on the tire). So I’m replacing the tire with a new one. The tire has 13,000 miles on it, and I think I could have gone another 1,000 miles before reaching the wear bar. The original tires that came with the bike (Metzeler Z8) lasted 12,500 miles (and that was with the middle part of the tire being nearly bald). I feel more confident with the Michelin than I did with the Metzeler, and the Michelin definitely wears better.2015-02-10 09.23.10.jpg2015-02-10 09.22.29.jpg

Wholly Crap!.. You had a lot more than 1000 miles left on that tire. Sorry you had to replace it. I wish I had taken a picutre of mine when I changed it. I rode mine another 1000+ miles after hitting the wear bar and still had more life in it. The only reason I changed the tire was I had rode with a patch for 4000 miles and was getting a little nervous on highspeed corners.

I'm on my second PR4 rear now. The first made it over 12,000. Can't remember exact mileage. Hoping to get the same out of the new one.

Yes.

Pilot Road are good for lots of km's. Been using them since PR2 on my Suzuki GSF1250SA and now the NC
I feel safe in any condition with PR. Metzeler Z8 on the other hand were scary!

The one "additional plus" I like about the pr4's is when the cupping is present,you still have some good traction on the corners in comparison to other tires I've had on. As soon as that ever-present "howling" when slowing to a stop or accelerating starts to go away, the center traction area is toast. Still have all that juicy treading on each side that I'm not going to let go to waste. But now at just under 13000mi. it's time to say adios.

The PR4'S are the best tire I have found for sticking to the pavement in wet or dry so far.The PR4'S wear very well for the amount of traction they get.

I'm not sure if they either made me slip or saved me last night. I was going through some back roads and made a left turn. It was dark and didn't see that I ran through a patch of dirt. The tire slipped for a fraction of a second, enough for me to feel the weightlesness and heart sinking feeling of the inevitability of slamming into the ground. Just as fast the rear gained traction and the bike righted itself. My heart raced and I smiled and I rode home feeling a little more alive.

I'm finally replacing my stock Metzelers with these this week. Got 8k miles on the Metzlers. Heard good things about these. Looking forward to riding them from MN to Arkansas in June.

I'm finally replacing my stock Metzelers with these this week. Got 8k miles on the Metzlers. Heard good things about these. Looking forward to riding them from MN to Arkansas in June.

I'm on my second rear tire and have no complaints. Good in wet condictions. I think you'll like them. I plan on running somehting different next time just to feel out other options.

My rear PR4 is at the wear bars and getting real shiny in the center of the tire. Everyone that looked at it said less than 500 miles left till the cord show. 8500 miles, sigh, it's gotta be me :)

Conti Motion on the way, gotta be ready for the ArkanSTOC ride next week!

My rear PR4 is at the wear bars and getting real shiny in the center of the tire. Everyone that looked at it said less than 500 miles left till the cord show. 8500 miles, sigh, it's gotta be me :)

Conti Motion on the way, gotta be ready for the ArkanSTOC ride next week!

Jeff,

I'm surprised. I took a few photos of mine as a comparison. I imagine we are about the same weight (based offf the one time we met) and we ride the same bike on the same roads (for the most part). The way we ride the bike is probably the key difference.

I installed my second set of PR4 tires at 20,000 miles. My odometer currently reads 27,253 so this tire has 7,253 miles. I imagine I will get another 3-4000 miles out of it. I always ride like a nut (still think I'm young) and I always run with saddle bags and trunk (extra weight). I spend most of my time on I-40 and HWY67 with a little backroads here and there. I imagine you do about the same thing since you live in the congested Little Rock area.

20150910_154819.jpg

20150910_154855.jpg

Hey Chuck, I'll blow down I40 to get to Russellville topping 80 most of the way, but most of my riding is 2 lane, Highway 10 is my gateway to the west if I'm not in a big hurry :) WOW, that tire looks new at 7k.... Now I'm depressed cause I know it's me :D

Very happy with the Pr4s I have , the front now has over 23,000 miles on it. 2 trips to Alaska one to Deadhorse and a run down to Texas. It has wore even is quiet, needs replacement soon. The rear made it 10,000 miles but that was the run to Deadhorse Alaska and back. Conti rear 7000 Dunlop 1700 (cut by rock) and Metzeler looks like it will get 7500.

The question about how the PR4s hold up is asked occasionally and I just changed out my rear tire again so I figured I would post the mileage. I installed my second PR4 rear tire at 20,000 miles. I removed it this weekend and the bike had just turned over 33,333 miles. There was a definite flat spot in the center but I could still see signs of the tread groves at the center although they were almost gone. I could have ridden the tire a bit longer but the timing was right to change it out this weekend. This is the second PR4 rear to last over 13K miles. I still rode aggressively in wet conditions at the end of this tires life and (knock on wood) never had any slippage issues. Love these tires.

Back