• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Michelin Road 5 vs Road 6

potter0o

Staff member
Super Mods
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
My front tire is getting close to the wear bars so I'm thinking about replacement. I currently have the Road 5. I'm happy with it. Does anyone have experience with the 6 who have also used a 5? Does the 6 last 10% longer or is it marketing?

From my current perspective, I am leaning towards another 5. I have first hand happiness with the tire and I can save a few dollars. With the 6 it is unknown and I'm not sure that the improvements are worth the added price.

I am a year round rider so I have found the wet riding performance of the Michelin to be attractive.

At my last tire change I considered the 6’s. At the time they were about 15% more in price and claiming a 10% improvement in tread life over the 5’s. I stayed with the 5’s as the more cost effective tire.

I'm on 5s and been happy. The rear one is a bit under 12,000 miles today and will probably need changing around 13,000. As long as the Road 5s are available I'm sticking with them.

At my last tire change I considered the 6’s. At the time they were about 15% more in price and claiming a 10% improvement in tread life over the 5’s. I stayed with the 5’s as the more cost effective tire.
I changed from the OEM tyres at around 8000 miles to Michelin Road 5's. I find them to be a good tyre. I have used the Road's on other bikes I've owned.
Regarding the 10% improvement in tread life. That seems to be listed in every update of the range. In years to come with a 10% increase again we can look forward to tyres that last forever.;)

This will seem unbelievable but I double checked my service/maintenance records to verify. I got a 100% increase going from the Road 5 to the Road 6, at least on the front of my BMW RT. I replaced this Road 6 today at 21,685 miles. Previous 5s went at least 10,182 to as much as 11,716. The tire has a bit more wear on the left side, as is common in North America, but generally wore very symmetrical across the face of the tread. I couldn't get a Road 6 when I ordered a set during the window of the $80 rebate from Michelin so a Road 5 replaced this 6. 5s and 6s are superb tires in wet and dry conditions and give a compliant soft ride. A more thrifty owner could and would probably ride these tires on and on but it rains a lot in the south and I have some long rides lined up the next couple of months. When the wear bars are flush I replace tires.

IMG_4076.jpeg
IMG_4077.jpeg

21K is fantastic, almost unbelievable.

How many miles do you get out of a rear R6?
I don't know as I have stayed away from the 6 because the 5 is so good for me on the NC and the RT. I put the Road 6 on the front of the RT because I couldn't get a 5 when I bought a set to get the $60 rebate Michelin was offering at the time.

I'm on my second set of R5s on my NC right now. First set went 8,579 miles . (Which btw was the best mileage I've gotten compared to original set of Metzler Tourance, 2 sets of Angel GTs , and 1 set of Shinko Ravens). I replace in sets since I dont change my own tires and dont want to wait for 2 service appointments at my local dealer, plus I think tires feel better when replaced as sets rather than riding on 1 new and 1 worn tire each time ie: 2 new, then worn front new rear, then new front worn rear.

I'm a conservative rider, easy braker, on what I consider good smooth fairly curvy roads, very little freeway riding, mostly 45-60 mph, in standard mode 100% of the time and am amazed at how this 58 hp 500 pound automatic motorcycle eats tires. I would think it would get at least 15,000 miles out of a set of tires, yet it barely gets over half of that.

I'm on my second set of R5s on my NC right now. First set went 8,579 miles . (Which btw was the best mileage I've gotten compared to original set of Metzler Tourance, 2 sets of Angel GTs , and 1 set of Shinko Ravens). I replace in sets since I dont change my own tires and dont want to wait for 2 service appointments at my local dealer, plus I think tires feel better when replaced as sets rather than riding on 1 new and 1 worn tire each time ie: 2 new, then worn front new rear, then new front worn rear.

I'm a conservative rider, easy braker, on what I consider good smooth fairly curvy roads, very little freeway riding, mostly 45-60 mph, in standard mode 100% of the time and am amazed at how this 58 hp 500 pound automatic motorcycle eats tires. I would think it would get at least 15,000 miles out of a set of tires, yet it barely gets over half of that.
Those Ohio roads will chew those tires up. I’ve gotten around 9k on my shinko ravens

I've been averaging about 5,000 miles per set of tires from mostly Metzlers. Suprised too how the NC goes through tires, think I'm on 5th set of tires with little over 33,000 miles. Ridden mostly in the twisties, solo very little highway use. Usually changed before the wear indicators because other wear. I'll see what the mileage will be on the current Shinko Ravens.
2012 NC

Back