• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Mirror bolt torque?

bduffey

Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm replacing the mirror extenders on my bike and in reading the instructions, I noticed that the manufacturer calls for 46 ft lbs of torque on the replacement bolt that goes into the mirror attachment on the brake resevoir.

While I normally don't use torque (as opposed to 'guesstimating' the tightness) 46 nm seems high. This spec sound correct?

Could be a typo on the sheet. The directions are mostly in German. Sketchy at best. I'm sure I'll just use the old 'tighten then snug it' method.

Mirror bolts need to be fairly tight as otherwise they will come loose. However I agree with others on here that 46 Lb Ft is too much.

don't forget to add some threadlocker. red is probably too much,but blue might be just right

LOCTITE-242-THREADLOCKER.jpg

So I gave the directions sheet from SW-Motech to my mechanic while at the dealers this a.m. He read the thing twice and agreed with me that it said 46 nm. So whether the manufacturer meant ft lbs or inch lbs, the direction are way off-base. At least I know that I wasn't imagining things. Back to the old tighten then snug method.

Back