• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Mirror bolts stuck beyond what a human can turn...

SleepyC

Reaction score
Visit site
SO I decided to try some mirror extenders and bought a set.
Go to my mirrors, push up the little rubber cover to expose the nuts. Get a wrench (think 14mm but what ever it was it was correct) and a crescent and try to loosen the locking bolt. No even a budge. I try harder and almost break my hand. I was able to push the mirror and get it unscrewing from the mirror receptacle on the bar mount and finally have the mirror in my hand. But it will be useless unless I can get the locking bolt to move and free up the first nut as well.

I tried everything. a vice, a bigger wrench. Heat... After 45 minutes I almost pushed so hard that I came close to rounding the edges of the locking nut.
(And yes I tried both directions just incase I was dealing with a reversed nut)

So, since nothing moved I was able to screw the mirror back in and snug it up to the receptacle and it's like nothing happened. BUT, my mirrors are in the same place.

WTH Honda.. same gorilla that puts on the stock oil filter installing the mirrors as well?!?!

Anybody else have this issue??

One of the mirror mounts is a left hand thread. I don't recall for sure which, but it would make sense it was the left mirror.

When my NC was new I had a mirror swing loose on the highway. I'd say a different person must have installed yours.

Last edited:
Rust is usually developed in here and it makes it difficult to remove... Also be sure that you loosen the bolt to the right way. I never remember at which direction I must unscrew it! :D

Anyway leave it in WD-40 for a few hours and try again... In my case I had to use a clamp. I cleaned the rust and I applied some ACF-50 to protect it from rust...

Try soaking it in "Kroil" "the oil that creeps". Is its tag line. I have seen it work where WD-40 wouldn't help.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

I tried everything. a vice, a bigger wrench. Heat... After 45 minutes I almost pushed so hard that I came close to rounding the edges of the locking nut.
(And yes I tried both directions just incase I was dealing with a reversed nut)
They are a reverse nut, try to separate the nuts from each other reversed from normally done.

Ray

They are a reverse nut, try to separate the nuts from each other reversed from normally done.

Ray

I did try that. I had to so I wouldn't feel stupid if someone asked if I did that... :D
These guys are basically welded.

I'll leave them for now.. I use the mirrors a lot and can wait until the white stuff falls here to attempt it again...
Also if I break one, if it's winter I won't feel bad when I have to wait a month to get a new one.

I had the same issue when I mounted my mirror extenders. I found an old aluminum cigar tube, filled it with PB Blaster, and soaked the mirror stem and nuts overnight. Broke loose the next day when I tried it. Good luck!

I wonder if the bikes are shipped with the mirrors on or installed at the dealership when they take them out of the crate. I had the opposite problem with I got my bike, my right mirror became extremely loose after a few miles. I learned the hard way it had a reverse thread after trying hard to tighten it the wrong way.

Back