• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Motobrain IOS/Android controlled PDU kickstarter - check it out

bendobe

Reaction score
Visit site
Kickstarter

Friend of a friend has created a pretty cool power distribution unit for all of you modders. I am going to give it a go. It's pricey but I personally have a soft spot for intelligent technology.

Disclaimer: I don't know the creator personally, I have no financial interest in the project.

Ben

This is cool and thanks for sharing. Is there a production ready unit or are you paying for a prototype? How much is it?

You could buy the necessary hardware as Arduino components for a lot less. A quick look tells me the hardware could be under $100 using existing components.

I've done embedded programming before and the Arduino code wouldn't be that bad but when combined with the Android and iOS controller code it would take a little time.
I did do a quick search and found a few pages dedicated to controlling Arduino through Bluetooth. I even found reference designs that could be combined to create a custom board and that was in the first 5 links I clicked on.

One little thing though... I really don't see the point of using a smart phone and a microcontroller to do what a few $1 switches could do.
You can't accidentally break the switches and loose the ability to turn things on and off.
Even if your phone goes dead and you forgot the charging cord you are out of luck.

As JamesD says, this is something that can, has been put together at a much lower cost. Aurdino/beagle board and a trip to RS components get you all of it for much less.

What your really paying for is to be able to program the settings, for example brightness of LED lights through your smartphone, which is a neat twist I guess.

For those of us who don't have programming capabilities, this is a great deal. Plus, eliminating the need to have multiple controllers for heated gear, lights, grips, etc. is a great advantage.

Sure, you can get a fuse panel, switches, wiring, and fuses for less. I personally love the idea, and have plunked down the cash for one. It will make for much cleaner installations when I add heated gear and lights later.

Sent from a Speak & Spell wired to a record player, a saw blade, a fork, and an umbrella.

For me it is a matter of knowledge, time, and convenience. It is worth the money for me not to figure out how to do it myself, build a container, and program a bluetooth app. There is also no need to have an Iphone continuously connected to use the PDU. The app seems nice for configuration and spot checks but once it's configured I can't imagine it will be in continuous use. I plan on running it inline with handlebar switches (My switch/handguard builder of choice - HDB) and controlling things that way.

I like that it shows how much each item is drawing from a system. It could be useful for diagnosing electrical issues, if you have a short or too many items. But I have to agree that manual, mechanical switches seem a more robust solution. That said, I have an old smart phone (no service) that does have bluetooth and nothing better to do.

I came across this little jewel in another thread. I was all set to do a write-up on it but I’m obviously late to the party. Has anyone used this device and have any reviews on it. It is complete overkill and I wants it badly… I really like that you can program things like having the high beams flash when you use the horn. I could see adding things like pairing my heated gloves to my heated grips.
Regards,
Mark

I have one, but haven't installed it yet. I have only played with it a little. I am looking forward to cleaning up the electrical mess I have made by slowly adding accessories over the last few years. It will make for a tidy solution.

Back