• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Motorcycle Zen

Brillot2000

Reaction score
Visit site
This subject may have been brought up before discussion, "Motorcycle Zen". I want to focus on the aspect of how many motorcycles that someone can own and have a balance of "Zen".

At the height of my riding career I had 4 bikes, however only had one for many of those years like more people.

When owned 4 bikes, I found it hard to balance riding them all and deciding which to ride. Not too long ago I had 3 bikes. I found myself riding only 2 of them alternately on a regular basis. The third was pushed to the back of the garage and hardly got any use, this one was my 1975 Honda CB360T for those that know me already. I found it a hassle to pull out one of the bike in front to just pull out the 360 to ride it for that day. At the end of day I would have to to do the opposite to put it away.

I am now down to 2 bikes again (NaNCy and Sparky) and I find this to workout the best for me.

• Sparky is my commuter bike that I ride nearly everyday now.

• NaNCy has been moved to Special Duties and as my Long Distance Runner.

Now having both an Electric and Gas Powered bike I have found the Ying and Yang and found my perfect "Zen Balance".

"Chime In" and share your Motorcycle Zen. Be enlightened and enlighten others...

Attachments

• IMG_2329.jpg
    IMG_2329.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 286
Last edited:
I had three at once at one time. They were a Honda VTX 1800 V-twin cruiser which had all kinds of torque and power but a crappy fuel range and no storage or creature comforts. A Honda Valkyrie Interstate 1500 flat-6 which had all kinds of storage and a nice fairing as well as a bunch of other bells and whistles but was like riding a John Deere lawn tractor after a day in the saddle through the twisties at 800+ pounds and a Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird with a transverse 4 cylinder that was just stupid fast and with which I did not have the will power or maturity (still don't) to ride it within both safe and legal bounds. I sold them all and bought my first FJR1300 in 2008 which IMO combined the best of all of them into one bike and so when it came time for a new bike again last year I bought another FJR as I had found my balance of Zen but just needed to update it a bit. ;)

PS - I still have my "squid" moments on the FJR but far less often and a little more cautiously. Riding with my wife has also made me a tad more responsible in the saddle.

Here's my recent Motorcycle Zen and balance to the garage.

MCZen1.jpg

Say "Hello" to both "Sparky" and "NaNCy"!!!

flat,800x800,075,f.u1.jpg

Attachments

• clear-38383d2f800ebba7d07a74d5990e2ea0.gif
    37 bytes · Views: 181
My fleet needs machines of different classes to add variety and balance. I keep a dirt bike, a small scooter, a mid sized one person street bike, and a full size two-up tourer. There's a machine for pretty much every occasion, but no duplication that may lead to one sitting unused.

My avatar shows the line-up, but I realize it's a bit small to see clearly.

Last edited:
I only need one of my bikes to be balanced. The Tenere wins because of comfort. Comfort "out Zenned" gas mileage.
Also, how do you guys with multip!e vehicles afford insurance on all of them?
I have full coverage on the Tenere but bare bones on the NC .

Attachments

• IMG_20150702_174709.jpg
    IMG_20150702_174709.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_20150702_174601.jpg
    IMG_20150702_174601.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 201
I have the same two bikes as Brillot. They are both recreational vehicles for me. They are very different rides and I enjoy switching back and forth. Whichever one I got off last is my favorite.:) The NC is my distance cruiser. I love how it feels on the freeway - solid as a rock and perfect ergos for me. It just eats up miles while sipping gas. I just can't find fault with the bike. The Zero is my hot rod in a velvet glove. It's small, light, flickable and it goes like a bat out of hell. I have had it almost a year now and I still can't get over how quick it is. I can't get over how smooth it is either. The only noise it makes is a futuristic electric whine that I'm still not used to. Each bike makes me appreciate the other. I love the smooth stealth and power of the Zero, then I hop on the NC and get my fix of mechanical internal combustion sounds and vibrations as well as feeling the bike go through the gears. I even enjoy just starting it up. I am really happy with my two very different machines and I have no desire for a third bike. It's the perfect pair for me, and apparently I'm not alone.

2e59fafa8339830c93648dc3fa0f5872_zpsb5zhsaeh.jpg

I have the same two bikes as Brillot.

It's the perfect pair for me, and apparently I'm not alone.

2e59fafa8339830c93648dc3fa0f5872_zpsb5zhsaeh.jpg

MichaelJohn,

That's really "COOL" that we share the same taste when it come to finding our "Motorcycle Zen". I also really like the fact you that you also have a DCT NC700X. You got a really great pair there... :eek:

I also find my "Motorcycle Zen" by making improves and adding "Farkle" to all my bikes.

Here's a link to some pictures that I took of "Sparky" as a few weeks ago, Sparky's Photo Album.

I have made a few more improves and added some reflective graphic decals to increase my visibility during the early morning and evening hours. I'll add some images of those improvements at a later time to this same album.

Keep the "Good Vibrations" coming people to the road of "Motorcycle Enlightenment"...

Last edited:
How do you guys with multip!e vehicles afford insurance on all of them?

Insurance for the NC700X is quite cheap compared to other bikes. I had/have "Full Coverage" on all my bikes and the NC700X is the cheapest of them all, next to my old CB360. Anything over 1,000 cc is the break over point and the rates climb exponentially. When I had my ST1300 with Full Coverage it was about $800/yr for that bike only.

Insurance for the NC700X is quite cheap compared to other bikes. I had/have "Full Coverage" on all my bikes and the NC700X is the cheapest of them all, next to my old CB360. Anything over 1,000 cc is the break over point and the rates climb exponentially. When I had my ST1300 with Full Coverage it was about $800/yr for that bike only.

Ouch! My ST1300 insurance, full coverage, was under $300 a year and included my DR200 (liability only).

I use to feel like I needed a few bikes to have "Motorcycle Zen" - but the NC has really calmed all that down. I still have my CRF250L which I use for gnarly off-roading but truth is, I am getting to the point that Id rather ride TO the dirt then ride IN THE dirt then ride home FROM THE dirt and the CRF250L doesnt do that too comfortably. If you have seen my videos, I stick the NC in about 75% of the places I stick the CRF250L. I catch myself saying, if I was on my CRF I would check that path out...BUT in the end Natasha (my NC700XD) brings me MUCH happiness.....

NOW....if the Zero FX had a realistic 100 mile range....I would get rid of CRF250L and get it and I think I would have 100% happiness in the motorcycle department.

Back