• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Motorcyclist Magazine NC Related Articles

Spaceteach

Reaction score
Visit site
Just got the October issue of Motorcyclist Magazine and there are three articles with NC related information.
First, they did a mini review of the CB500X and compared it to the NC700X.
Second was a response to a reader letter on shifting the NC into first gear (or second) from a standstill titled NC Stands For Noisy Clunk. It was in the Answers section of the magazine.
Third, in the Doin' Time section, Marc Cook wrote about replacing the Corbin Seat on the NC700 test bike with the Shad seat.

Just thought I'd give a heads up for any fans of the magazine,

Bob

Yeah. I saw that. Marc Cook's article erroneously made a point that the size difference between the NC700X and the CB500X was 169cc. That was based on another statement that the 700 was actually 640cc. Now who would know better than me, "670cc", that that was all incorrect?

Also, the color legend for the horsepower/torque chart was reversed for the NC700X.

I sure would not use a magazine article as a sole source of info on a motorcycle purchase. They're often riddled with errors.

I'm not a huge fan of that magazine, but it does give the NC a lot of attention.

Greg

Last edited:
I agree, don't use a magazine for your sole source of information, see what owners have to say. I just checked my mpg for the first time (I know, small sample) but it worked out to 71 mpg, and that was with the side cases on and the new windshield installed, and I drive like a old man (because I am one)
DSCI0394_zpse8811b35.jpg

Ahh. Don't forget the silly article where they compared maxi-scooters, and what the heck, also threw the NC700X in as a contender. For those of us battling the common notion among motorcyclists that the NC700X is a "scooter", this article did way more harm than good.

Can you tell I don't really like this magazine?

BMW C600 Sport vs. Honda NC700X DCT vs. Yamaha Majesty - Motorcyclist Magazine

Greg

Last edited:
Maybe sometime should write and point out their errors and see it they print it in the letters section

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Maybe sometime should write and point out their errors and see it they print it in the letters section

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Done it already. We'll see next month.

Better yet, everyone should write in!

Greg

Most DCT owners seem to love the clutch less automatic transmission and a lot of our wish lists seem to include a more comfortable seat, better wind protection, and a little more power. It seems to me that's a pretty good description of the BMW maxi scooters, so I don't think Motorcyclist's comparison of the NC to the maxi scooters was all that silly. When I bought my NC I was also considering a Burgman 650. :)

Now excuse me while I go put on a flame retardant pair of coveralls. ;)

Bob

I appreciate your posting the articles. I enjoyed reading them. I guess I can understand the point of the article comparing the NC to a scooter but at the same time I don't. I came from riding CBR's. From the 900 to the 1000 and ever model of it in between. I made the conscious decision to find a bike I could use to commute to work. When I went to the dealer I was not looking for a NC700X. I had not heard of them but I needed something to ride 60 miles a day, could go 75mph, could carry a decent amount of gear, and was good on gas. Who would have thought there would be this thing called a NC700X. I told the sales rep what I was looking for he took me straight to the NC. It was a fully loaded manual. The price was more than right considering I was really looking at the REPSOL sitting next to it. The rest is history.

Back to the last article posted. I ride on several interstates in and around Little Rock, AR. There is no way I would ride a scooter in that type of environment. That is why you cant compare the NC to a scooter. And that is why the article is completely off base.

IMO

I don't understand why the BMW scooter wouldn't work for freeway riding around Little Rock. The BMW has 10 more horsepower and about the same top speed as the NC. :). Don't get me wrong, I bought and prefer the NC to the BMW, but I don't think the NC has any advantage in freeway performance.
I do agree with SargeantChuck on one thing though. Either is a lot more comfortable than a sport bike. I've had an R1, GSXR600, and CBR1000rr but these days this old body just doesn't want to assume the position any more.

Bob

I didnt get very specific in my reasoning so I'll add this. I have not rode this scooter so I am basing my opinion off of the scooters I rode in Hawaii last year. There is something about not having my legs around the body of the machine and my hands much closer to each other that makes me feel not so much in control at high speeds. I often wondered how quickly I could avoid something if I had to make a quick maneuver at a higher speed. Just my opinion and maybe it was my not being familure.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

In the October 2013 Motorcyclist Magazine they mentioned that the Shad seat had super soft foam in the seat, maybe too soft. Have any of you folks that bought a Shad seat experienced what you would call too soft of foam in the shad seat?
I hadn't heard that criticism before.

Third, in the Doin' Time section, Marc Cook wrote about replacing the Corbin Seat on the NC700 test bike with the Shad seat.
Just thought I'd give a heads up for any fans of the magazine,
Bob

Back