• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

My two new rides

I traded in my 2009 bmw g650gs for the nc700x., but I had 36,000 miles on mine-got tired of listening to a single. yes, it does have a 1000rpm higher rev limiter but fyi, anything above 2nd gear runs 1000rpms higher than the nc700x, so it is a wash; 4000rpms on the Honda in 6th gear=75mph-on the g650gs, 75mph is somewhere between 5500 and 6000rpms in 5th gear-there is no 6th gear= I hit the rev limiter once on the bmw (80mph in 4th) and have not hit the rev limiter on the honda. To me, both bikes have the same top end, but I think the Honda is faster off the line and accelerates from 70-90mph faster. my g650gs was also black.
Just some hints with the g650gs, with oil changes-all that front plastic has to come off-unless you find a way to siphon the oil out of the oil cooler. all the plastic has to come off for valve checks-every 6000 miles-and bucket/shims and the shims are $$$. In my opinion, the seat on the bmw was even worse than the Honda-more slant but corbin makes a great seat for the bmw-and the seat isn't bolted on-there is a latch under the small rear storage compartment. note-the bmw does not like creek crossings with tourance tires.
good luck with the bmw and hope you have tons of fun.

I'd love to have another NC700x but they only have a red one there and the new ones only come in black and red I think.
I do not like those colors. Plus near $9000 out the door now. Then I have to get my heated grips put back on.

The G650GS is much easier to flick around and has higher gears. I always had to click the NC700 down to 5th to pass
faster on the highway. Hit the rev limiter a lot. Also hit the horn a lot trying for the turn signal because of the way it is situated.
Hauling gear for long trips was troublesome because of the gas cap under the back seat.

Both bikes have negatives and positives. Trust me, I would have kept the NC700x for as long as possible if I could.

I'd love to have another NC700x but they only have a red one there and the new ones only come in black and red I think.
I do not like those colors. Plus near $9000 out the door now. Then I have to get my heated grips put back on.

The G650GS is much easier to flick around and has higher gears. I always had to click the NC700 down to 5th to pass
faster on the highway. Hit the rev limiter a lot. Also hit the horn a lot trying for the turn signal because of the way it is situated.
Hauling gear for long trips was troublesome because of the gas cap under the back seat.

Both bikes have negatives and positives. Trust me, I would have kept the NC700x for as long as possible if I could.

Personally man I would not try to justify my decision. As long as your happy and satisfied it really doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. I really like what dduelin said.

Ride what you enjoy and be open to learning along the way.

You may or may not regret that decision and may or may not like the bike. Owning up to that and learning is key. I wish you the best of luck and trouble free riding.

FYI - I don't blame you on the red. No offense to anyone who has that color but it could be the last NCX on the planet and I would not buy it.

FYI: the turn signal/horn configuration are exactly the same on both the nc700x and the bmw g650gs-both have the horn button above the turn signals.
The 2014 Nc700x comes in solid black (with the black out engine). I met a guy last week from Ocala Florida which has one.
Have fun on the g650gs-the Metzler Tourances are good tires for the bike-I got 14,000-16,000 out of each set I had on mine, except they are not good on slick creek crossings.

Last edited:
FYI: the turn signal/horn configuration are exactly the same on both the nc700x and the bmw g650gs-both have the horn button above the turn signals.
The 2014 Nc700x comes in solid black (with the black out engine). I met a guy last week from Ocala Florida which has one.
Have fun on the g650gs-the Metzler Tourances are good tires for the bike-I got 14,000-16,000 out of each set I had on mine, except they are not good on slick creek crossings.

Well, on the BMW the turn signal is aligned directly to my thumb. On the NC700x it is not. The
horn is in direct alignment with my thumb. (Maybe I have different sized hands...)

Last edited:
If you get the BMW and want to do offroad/gravel/slick creek crossings, you may want to switch to some more offroad capable tires. The Metzler Tourances are good high mileage pavement tires but don't do other surfaces very well.
You can check out the following website, go down to post #176, and 1:25 minutes into the video watch the bmw try to become a submarine with the Metzlers: the flowing water just pushed the rear-end around....
Madison, Indiana ride: March 17, 2012 - Page 12 - ADVrider

If you get the BMW and want to do offroad/gravel/slick creek crossings, you may want to switch to some more offroad capable tires. The Metzler Tourances are good high mileage pavement tires but don't do other surfaces very well.
You can check out the following website, go down to post #176, and 1:25 minutes into the video watch the bmw try to become a submarine with the Metzlers: the flowing water just pushed the rear-end around....
Madison, Indiana ride: March 17, 2012 - Page 12 - ADVrider

Thanks for the link .... that video brought back many wonderful memories of my days in the late 60s and early 70s on old Yamaha 175 and 250 cc two strokes were we did mostly those kind of roads. Makes me want to try with the X but maybe with better tires. Dang those days were so uncomplicated and fun, gas was cheap, bad roads a plenty, and doing something stupid (dropping the bike in mud or water) was ok in the group.

Been riding the 2009 BMW G650GS and so far it is a great bike. No problems
at all. I put a Ztech windshield on that is great and installed much larger
foot pegs.

There are things I miss about the NC700x but then if I lost the BMW I would
miss things about that bike. They are very different bikes but I like them both.

yeah, the bmw650/700gs would of been my second choice if it were not the HONDA NC700X.
1. love the frunk
2. love the dct
3. Easy to ride

that tiny rear fender is for rain/mud not streaking your back when you ride.

I would add :

4. Lest expansive for parts and services

:D

Been riding the 2009 BMW G650GS and so far it is a great bike. No problems
at all. I put a Ztech windshield on that is great and installed much larger
foot pegs.

There are things I miss about the NC700x but then if I lost the BMW I would
miss things about that bike. They are very different bikes but I like them both.

I can say that about every bike I have owned. Glad y our enjoying your new bike and it has not giving you any problems.

... I wanted a silver NC700x.
Congrats on your new rides !
It seems that the silver ones are rare everywhere.
I have ordered my (silver) one since the end of August and still waiting !
Some days I have thoughts of canceling it but I think it is worth the wait.

I have put 2000 miles on the BMW 650 with no problems so far. Riding in cold is good
too as the engine generates heat near your legs and the tank seems to keep the wind
off my upper legs. I use shin guards that sort of act as fairings.

Just wish it had a better sounding tail pipe.

I have put 2000 miles on the BMW 650 with no problems so far. Riding in cold is good
too as the engine generates heat near your legs and the tank seems to keep the wind
off my upper legs. I use shin guards that sort of act as fairings.

Just wish it had a better sounding tail pipe.

Two Brothers makes an exhaust for the 2009 BMW G650gs:
BMW Motorcycle Exhaust System, Aftermarket BMW Motorcycle Parts, BMW Race Exhaust Systems, BMW Sport Bike Parts
You would have to order the one for the 2005-2007 F650gs (same engine exhaust as the 2009 G650gs). Remember, the 2008 and above F650gs are actually an 800 cc twin engine.

Thanks for the link. That is pretty expensive though.

I was going to try to save for a Sergeant seat first.

Yep, I would choose a seat over an exhaust anyday. FYI: if you are a fan of Corbins seat, they work well on the beemer. I had one on mine with a small sheepskin cover on it and it was great. I rode multiple 800 mile days with the Corbin/Sheepskin combo and butt felt fine after the rides. You may find a used Corbin on sale at F650.com-great site for the old F650gs (2009-2010 g650gs) bikes.

Back