• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Information navigation device installed

vinay

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Already a few weeks ago I installed my navigation device on the handlebar, but back then I already knew I eventually wanted it to be above my dashboard so that I could see it without tipping my head down.
signal-2024-06-15-201843_002.jpeg
Last Thursday I installed this Givi accessory support (FB1146 for the NC750X from 2016 to 2020) which is mounted between the windscreen and the spoiler in front of the dashboard. The device uses Apple Carplay which can use several apps. OSMand, Gaia and of course the Apple Maps app all work, but I'm now using an app from TomTom, a local navigation device company. It can work without cell broadcast like OSMand and Gaia do, but it can also divert your route if there are delays, roadblocks etc on the otherwise fastest route. I this image it may appear to be mounted quite high, but from my perspective when driving it appears just above the display so that both are clearly visible. What it does to the wind (shield me or make matters worse) I don't know really. It was quite windy today so I was feeling it anyway.
signal-2024-06-15-201843_003.jpeg
The power cable branches from the accessory harness and travels along underneath that left fairing. In my case I made it pop out between that fairing which holds the direction indicator and that big flexible horseshoe-shaped fairing. I then made it disappear to the other side of the spoiler.
signal-2024-06-15-201930_002.jpeg
Over there I channeled it just left of the Givi mount so that it doesn't dangle in that center channel. There sure must be ways to do this even prettier but I'm quite happy the way it is now. If the way the cable exits between those plastic shells turns out to be annoying when removing and reinstalling the plastic covers I might reconsider and come up with something else. But for now I'm quite happy the way it is.
signal-2024-06-15-201843_004.jpeg
So yeah it may very well be catching some air but the ram mount used does keep it nice and steady. This one has a 5" screen. They also have one with a 7" screen which may seem cool but would probably have been a bit much. It is now about right above my handlebar so easy enough to see and easy enough to operate when needed.

I see these Car Play devices being installed in other forums but the use seems to lock in Google Map navigation or software that uses Google Map. Basically A to B navigation with some ability to customize preferences like avoid highways or U-turns, etc.. Is there a way to download truly user created custom routes or are you stuck with Google Map choosing the route?

Google maps is feature rich with helpful real time information. I use it in tandem with Organic Maps for quick routing directions. Short learning curve, open source, free and worthy of donations. Import/export GPX tracks or KML/KMX bookmarks. Offline maps.

I don't use Google Map on this one. I probably could if I'd install it on my phone but I haven't. Both Gaia as well as OSMand can cope with custom created routes so if I'd want that, I'd use one of these apps. When I create a route I usually use Plotaroute.com on the computer. It has a phone app but I feel it is too finicky and it doesn't appear in Car Play anyway. But for creating and fine-tuning routes it is great. TomTom gathers traffic info over the internet but uses the readily downloaded maps to plan and optimize the route so when I just need to go somewhere without being to picky about the route. Between OSMand and Gaia, Gaia may give you most freedom to pick some really challenging stuff (and obviously for other outdoor activities as well) whereas OSMand sits somewhere in the middle. I suppose for what the NC750X is able to tackle and if you're not too worried about traffic, OSMand is probably the best choice. You can run it for free but the subscription isn't too expensive. As the maps are open source, there are maps for ever single place. I once was in a theme park with a big outdoor maze and it would just show me the quickest way through ;). I don't question Google Map and Apple Maps are nice too, but I'd rather not rely on mobile data for my navigation. For those who do, I suppose they should be fine.

So yeah, horses for courses and luckily, there is a horse for every course :).

Old school baby ;)

I still use paper maps

Unlimited options on planning and which way to go :p

Don't need to hook up any fancy wiring or electronics.

No worry about someone stealing it when I'm off the bike

Has worked for all of the lower 48 states, & 2 provinces of Canada

AAA gives me maps for free

hq6syxvh.jpg

Previous version

dUoc63Gh.jpg

Oh yeah, that's how I brought my bike home and I'll definitely keep doing so every now and then. As I said, horses for courses and this definitely qualifies as a proper horse :). I won't print it though, just hand scribbles are good enough. You just need a fat marker or crayons as a ballpoint or pencil won't do. In a car it works but on the motorcycle I found it harder to see. And then it really depends on the traffic and how alert I need to be. I can imagine on wide open and relaxed roads it may be ok to look down, check what has been and what is next. But I wouldn't be comfortable doing that in busy traffic and/or on complex routes. I installed this because for these situations, I like to be able to keep my head up as much as possible.

What is the back of your nav device like? I'd think it will be pelted by rain at speed, and suggest you lower it somewhat or double check the back and sides of it to be sure it is totally waterproof.

I have a Madsted windshield with their (very similar) bar to which I have secured my Zumo XT. Even with the Zumo, I sometimes handwrite or print (from a word or excel document) directions like @the Ferret and tape them to the tank...er...frunk. Been doing that on my VStrom and will continue the practice on my NC.

We'll see. It is IPX7 rated (so it could be submerged) and it is marketed as an alternative to survive where a phone would be destroyed. So if it doesn't survive some rain (which even the display of a naked bike should be able to cope with) they can have it back. Better to put it to the test early whilst the warranty is still valid.

I like CarPlay A to B nav in our car but I think I'll stay with a dedicated GPS on the bikes for the ability to easily build, save, swap, and archive GPX files.

I like CarPlay A to B nav in our car but I think I'll stay with a dedicated GPS on the bikes for the ability to easily build, save, swap, and archive GPX files.
What is "dedicated GPS" in your book, just a device that gives the current coordinates? As I mentioned, out of the apps that appear on CarPlay, TomTom (and probably the Apple Maps app which I don't have much experience with) do A to B navigation. OSMand and Gaia happily work with GPX files. My watch (from Suunto) just shows a track which works for me (for many activities outside motorcycle driving) and is perfect considering how small a watch screen is. OSMand and Gaia can show you the very same track, just with a map overlay of choice. Doesn't make it any worse I'd say.

I am currently using the Garmin 396LM on road bikes. I started with a Garmin 38 in 1996. Say I’m going for a long ride, 100 or 1000s of miles. I research roads and points of interests and build the routes I loosely plan to use in Mapsource or Basecamp. A route might have 5 or 100 shaping points to demarcate a path using anything from goat trails to interstates then I can store 100 routes at a time in the 396 or bring my laptop that runs a flash drive with hundreds of routes I have made or collected. Both Mapsource and Basecamp are on the laptop and I can build new routes if I decide to do something on the fly instead of using my saved routes. If I meet a local in a coffee shop along the I can transfer routes from his GPS to mine via Bluetooth. Directions are turn by turn visual on the screen and audio to helmet speakers. All the time I’m moving the GPS is storing a track which I can convert to a route later if I stumble across a great road I want to return to. The Garmin is rugged, fully waterproof, touch screen with gloved hands and powered by its own power cable though an internal battery can power it when taken out of its cradle. It also does simple A to B navigation if I choose to. I do not use it to control audio from my iPhone but I could pair the phone to it and hub everything through it.

Cool stuff! My unit is definitely more budget but it basically allows me to do the same thing as you're describing there. Out of personal preference I might still prefer to log routes and waypoints on my watch. I've been using Suunto GPS watches for a decade and obviously I can still use that when I'm with someone else or at least off the motorbike (hence without the navigation device). They're pretty tough too. While I had Casio G-Shock watches chipping and basically falling apart on my wrist (even though the electronics kept working), these Suunto units survived me well so far :).

What is the back of your nav device like? I'd think it will be pelted by rain at speed, and suggest you lower it somewhat or double check the back and sides of it to be sure it is totally waterproof.

I have a Madsted windshield with their (very similar) bar to which I have secured my Zumo XT. Even with the Zumo, I sometimes handwrite or print (from a word or excel document) directions like @the Ferret and tape them to the tank...er...frunk. Been doing that on my VStrom and will continue the practice on my NC.
Could you tell me how you connect the Zumo XT? Direct to the battery or you put a relay to feed it only with key switch on? Thanks for all the information you could bring to me.

I am installing an aux. fusebox behind the right fairing piece - Cowl A and B I believe. The box will be velcroed to the inside wall of the fairing and hopefully I can reach down from the fork area and pull it loose. I'm planning on enough wire to allow the fusebox to be brought up high enough to check/replace fuses in the event of a problem. We will see how it works in practice (I quoted you theory). I have run a wire from the rear taillight - pictures and explanation to follow later this week - to trigger the relay in the eastern beaver PC8R fusebox. This fusebox has 6 switched and 2 unswitched circuits. I do not plan to use the unswitched fuses. The fusebox and taillight wire are installed now. A 10 amp fuse will power 3 outlets, one for my Hawkshead TPMS on the left side handlebar, one for a powerlet ziptied to the subframe pipe behind the fusebox fairing (but forward of the f-box) and one for a USB port for a possible quadlock phone holder/charger. My Zumo XT has a male powerlet plug on it (I installed this) and it plugs into that jack I ziptied to the subframe rail. The zumo, Hawkshead, powerlet, and fusebox are now up and running. They go on and off w/ the ignition/tailight trigger.

Absent the fusebox (for anyone not as compulsive as I am, or interested in as many accessories), I would use a relay to power the Zumo. I think parasitic loads tend to grow over time as we add accessories and eventually they kill the battery when life steps in and prevents riding for several weeks. I have a few problems with the thunder box gadget for powering a few loads, but if the installer is knowledgeable or does some reading, it is not a bad alternative. My caveats for using this device would be to use wire large enough for the 15 amp circuits and not use this to power many items (spaghetti tangle alert here). Don't forget that the T-box is a parasitic load itself, and powering it up in the event of a short is a pita.

If you have any questions, PM me.

Hi Dave. I am not trying to change your opinion on what to use but you can upload GPX files, and also data from csv workbooks (Sheets or Excel), into Google Maps. It might be an option to keep in your back pocket in case your Garmin fails and you find yourself in a pinch. https://support.google.com/mymaps/answer/3024836?hl=en&co=GENIE.Platform=Desktop

Hi Dave. I am not trying to change your opinion on what to use but you can upload GPX files, and also data from csv workbooks (Sheets or Excel), into Google Maps. It might be an option to keep in your back pocket in case your Garmin fails and you find yourself in a pinch. https://support.google.com/mymaps/answer/3024836?hl=en&co=GENIE.Platform=Desktop
Does Google work with offline maps as well? Microsoft used to offer that but well after they quit making phone software, they also dropped the option to download maps. I think Apple Maps definitely doesn't allow for that though I'm not sure about Google. I used to think they don't allow for that but I was surprised by the fact that the new Royal Enfield Himalayan has onboard navigation through Google. And especially for a bike like that, you'd expect that if they'd install onboard navigation, it should be able to work without cellphone reception.

Does Google work with offline maps as well? Microsoft used to offer that but well after they quit making phone software, they also dropped the option to download maps. I think Apple Maps definitely doesn't allow for that though I'm not sure about Google. I used to think they don't allow for that but I was surprised by the fact that the new Royal Enfield Himalayan has onboard navigation through Google. And especially for a bike like that, you'd expect that if they'd install onboard navigation, it should be able to work without cellphone reception.
Hit the ellipses after you choose a location and you’ll have this screen in Google Maps

1718744024380.png

In Apple click on your icon and then download maps.

1718751724107.png

Last edited:
Hit the ellipses after you choose a location and you’ll have this screen in Google Maps

View attachment 116432

In Apple click on your icon and then download maps.

View attachment 116438
Thanks you for your clear explanation! In my case there is nothing between "Guides" and "Reports" (so no "Download Maps" button) but maybe it is an update in later versions of iOS. My phone won't upgrade beyond iOS 15 (iPhone SE, first generation) but yeah should I ever replace it with a later model I now know it is there :).

Vinay, when you open google maps, on the right side of the search bubble, should be your account link. Click there and you should see "Off Line Maps". If so, from there you can "select your own map" to download regions in big chunks. I have mine and the surrounding states downloaded that way. Zoom in and out to select how much you want to download. It looks the same and works the same on my Apple 12 and my very old throw away andriod 8 phone that I use sometimes. You should be able to do it with IOS 15. Check to see if your google maps is way out of date.

Back