• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

NC700, Hot-hatch of the motorcycle world?

RJ_CB450

Reaction score
Visit site
I was thinking the other day about the multi function abilities of the X. Anyways, it was starting to remind me of the hatchback revolution and it's affect on the euro sportscar market.

To compare, up to the late 70s, the two seat sports and roadsters were the toy to have. Triumph cars, the datsun Z's, and so on. Anyways, fuel costs and recession caused a decline in the sports auto industry until the vw rabbit and gti showex up. Peppy and nimble, but not fast. Combine that with all the storage space and drivability, the hothatches took over.

I am sure at the time the sports car people laughed at these fwd boxes, made fun of statistics, makes me think of what some people say of the NCs. But the street function and peppyness during a time of recession and high insurance. Anybody else seeing the parallels?

I see your point. I had a 1968 MGC roadster for most of the 70's and early 80's then bought the second year VW GTi in 85. The GTi made the original Hot Hatchback shoot out in Road & Track that year. Great fun to drive, sharp handling, roomy utility, good mpg and didn't leak water on my head, oil on the ground, and brake fluid on my shoes.

The NC delivers fun, utility, and mpg in what promises to be an economical platform much like those early hatchbacks with peppy motors.

that Honda is rolling out more models based on that same engine design says a lot. It means the design is reliable, not overly expensive, and adaptable. While I envy the newer models with shaft drives, I'm happy to ride a bike with innovative design.
When I went looking a few months ago, I wanted something different... not just the same old upright twin, gas tank on the top, motorcycle.

SOHC is cheap. I think they went with it because they didn't know how well theNCX would catch on. Next gen will will be dohc like the new 500 series.

SOHC is cheap. I think they went with it because they didn't know how well theNCX would catch on. Next gen will will be dohc like the new 500 series.

I have to disagree with that logic. The NC700X is all about going back to simple basics. Why would they ever want to take it to the mainstream when getting out of the mainstream was it's whole purpose?

Two cams won't open those eight valves any better than one at a 6500 RPM redline, plus we would not want to give up the low friction and long wear of the NC700's roller rockers. And who wants to to pull cams for valve adjustments instead of having screw/locknut adjusters?

If people insist on a typical DOHC higher revving engine, then they buy the 500. The NC700 is for the rest of us.

Greg

Last edited:

I also disagree. The roller rockers bearing on a single camshaft create less friction than a DOHC shim under bucket valve train and probably isn't room for roller rockers and two camshafts plus the low rotational speed of the NC motor does not require DOHC to precisely control valve timing. Less is more in this engine.

I'm actually surprised the NCX even has 4 valves versus just two per cylinder.

(for example) Honda's VTEC system on the 800 Interceptor, doesn't switch to 4 valves from 2 until almost higher up in the rpm band than the NCX's redline, doesn't it?

I would have thought this pointed to 2 valves being just fine (or better) than 4 at the low rpm operation of the 700X? I always thought the whole point of more valves, was due to the increased need for volumetric efficiency at higher and higher revs, at the expense of torque and efficiency at low revs. Pretty much a "racing" need, not a "real world" need.

I suppose though, if the design parameters left the 4 valves small enough that they only allowed the same amount of combustion gasses in/out as 2 larger ones, then having the lighter weight of smaller multiples would be better than two larger heavier ones...

Fun things to ponder and speculate on, for a big dummy like me anyway lol

I think you hit it right on the head about efficiency with the lfour valve cylinders. My 450 is a DOHC but two valve per cylinder and still high revving for the era. For the large bore, four small valves would fit efficiently fine. It might only be 5 or 10% gain over a two valve setup, but if the gain offsets the added but negligible cost increase it would be worth it.

Last edited:
I think you hit it right on the head about efficiency with the lfour valve cylinders. My 450 is a DOHC but two valve per cylinder and still high revving for the era. For the large bore, four small valves would fit efficiently fine. It might only be 5 or 10% gain over a two valve setup, but if the gain offsets the added but negligible cost increase it would be worth it.

My last Honda 400 and 450 twins had SOHC, but 3 valves per cylinder, heehee

Seems like every design under the sun eventually gets a go, lol! :D

I had a 79' Honda CX500 V twin like a ST1100 only two cylinders, it had a pentroff head design, that is two intake valves and a single Large exhaust valve.

I like the 4 valves for better breathing and cooling purposes.

There must be more performance that can be unlocked out of this engine, but I am very satisfied with the NC700X performance the way it is.

Comming back to the first question...

Here in France, since approx 25/30 years, almost all the car drivers are used to buy diesel motors, first reason the convenient price of the gas (the diesel is cheaper), and the fact that is economical in therm of mpg.

I think the NC is innovative in the same way, you don't have a rocket, but you have power enough and lot of mpg. Maybe the concept is too inovative to interrest the usual motorcycle public used to ride high powered bikes.

There is a sign, tought. In France some people change their habits and their bikes for customs or slow models, because at the moment in our country it is very difficult to maintain the driving license with all the radars you have everywhere.

B.R.

Back