• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

nc700 rear rack

I've had that same thought. Don't think I'd ever have someone on the back but it has crossed my mind if it could hold the weight of a person.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm using the rear plate to mount my aux fuel cell...

Very robust and a perfect place to mount an aux tank. I like the idea of keeping as much weight as I can down low, and wasn't really interested in mounting 3.5 gallons of fuel up high on the Givi rear rack (or inside the Givi trunk). The tank and a full load of fuel will weigh much less any passenger I might carry and there is zero impact on handling. The tank is baffled which prevents the fuel from sloshing from one side to another..I also like the idea of keeping any additional weight <between> the wheels and not aft of the rear axle, which is what would happen if I mounted a tank on the rear Givi rack.

Measured and was about to drill a hole in the plate when I remembered "measure twice, cut once"...Good thing too! Right under where I was going to drill a hole through the plate for the center drain on the tank was the welded studs..Would have taken me awhile to get through it :)

Moved the aux fuel cell a bit forward to clear the mounting stud and was good to go. Plenty of clearance to open the rear trunk and I can also remove the trunk without disturbing the fuel cell.

Will be ordering the plumbing fittings this week..Controlling the flow of fuel into the main tank is done with a fuel shut off valve that I can easily reach while riding. Need everything ready for June 6th when I run the Minuteman 1000:
http://nc700-forum.com/forum/tourin...d-1000-miles-24-hours-rally-june-whos-me.html

IMG_6144-M.jpg

IMG_6142-M.jpg

Last edited:
I've had that same thought. Don't think I'd ever have someone on the back but it has crossed my mind if it could hold the weight of a person.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I really did not make the rack to hold 100 to 200 pounds, and a movable weight, could damage latch plates, and bend rack sides? And puts alot of weight on rear hinge. If i really had enough people interested, i could look into it, but would have to use a stronger alloy like 6061 and maybe thicker? I would have to add support around the latch plates, to take the weight off them, and relocate it to the tank, frame cross brace. This would add more cost to making them also.. Dale

I really wouldn't put someone on the rear rack unless I had to. Like if someone's bike broke down and I needed to give them a ride somewhere. It only takes a few minutes to put the rear seat back on and take the rack off so there would be no reason to put someone on the rack unless it was a situation like that.

But I'd sure let them use the airhawk if I had it on the bike, or any other pad I had, cuz sitting on steel wouldn't be a fun ride. It sure wouldn't be the racks fault if it bent under those conditions, it wasn't designed for a passenger, or for that kind of weight.

I still love the look of the bike with the rack on... I don't use it on my daily commute, but I'd rather have the rack on and not have to open the seat to refuel, and with the rack looking so good, I don't mind keeping it on there all the time!

Thanks Dale. I doubt there is the demand for one to handle that much weight. Like netizen said, I was thinking about a situation where someone’s bike broke and I wanted to give them a lift out which still can be done by standing on the pegs.

I really wouldn't put someone on the rear rack unless I had to. Like if someone's bike broke down and I needed to give them a ride somewhere. It only takes a few minutes to put the rear seat back on and take the rack off so there would be no reason to put someone on the rack unless it was a situation like that.

But I'd sure let them use the airhawk if I had it on the bike, or any other pad I had, cuz sitting on steel wouldn't be a fun ride. It sure wouldn't be the racks fault if it bent under those conditions, it wasn't designed for a passenger, or for that kind of weight.

I still love the look of the bike with the rack on... I don't use it on my daily commute, but I'd rather have the rack on and not have to open the seat to refuel, and with the rack looking so good, I don't mind keeping it on there all the time!

Thanks Dale. I doubt there is the demand for one to handle that much weight. Like netizen said, I was thinking about a situation where someone’s bike broke and I wanted to give them a lift out which still can be done by standing on the pegs.

I'm thinking that the wording of Dale's post was more to do with a weight attached to the rack, *and* pivoting the rack up?

"I really did not make the rack to hold 100 to 200 pounds, and a movable weight..."

In theory, with the rack down in the latched position, I see his fabwork as being very sturdy. With the U latches engaged in their slots, it's every bit if not more skookum than the stock plastic seat base they attach to, and the rear hinge does not have any extra burden involved on it just because it's bolted to a metal plate rather than a thin plastic shell.

That leaves basically the two rubber seat pan nubs that rest on the under frame (grabrail area?) and if Dale's rack had either those or a similar type of support in those two spots, I think it would be not too compromised as far as bending or bowing down in such a short distance. Maybe I'm wrong in this as I don't have a rack to look at in person, so for sure let me know if I'm in left field on this :eek:

I can see the hinge possibly having strength issues over time if there was a significant weight bolted or otherwise attached to a rack, and then swung up and down like the seat normally would do during a fuel stop, and so on.

My fuel cell has some weight to it when full, but being careful with my opening and closing it, I have no personal worries about fubar-ing the seat hinge. :)

Feel free to savage my interpretation of things of course, lol

Just a side note, just got back from trying to do the Idaho back country route. Started on section one, after a couple of sections ran into snow at elk pass, had to by pass that section, snow on the a couple of the other high passes over 6000 feet and had to reroute. Was not able to do all sections. Will be at least a month till all passes are clear. Dale

Hello all. Just bought a 2012 NC700S, I was wondering how I get in touch with Dale for one of those racks. Up here in Canada. thanks

How to contact Dale

Hello all. Just bought a 2012 NC700S, I was wondering how I get in touch with Dale for one of those racks. Up here in Canada. thanks
Go to the Forum's main page and Click on the FORUM tab. Then scan down to the CLASSIFIED section and then click on the VENDOR SPECIAL SECTION. I think Dale's spot is the third entry.
Then you can contact Dale directly.

Cool glad that you like it. Thanks Dale
Just a side note, would anyone like to see any changes in this rack design? Always looking to make things as usefull as possible. Dale

I hate locking gas caps. I would like to see some way to cover the gas cap, so it's out of sight and I don't need to use a locking gas cap. I don't care about it being secure, only hidden. Maybe a panel that slides open or a flap that lifts up. I realize this is not an easy modification. :)

Actually I just thought of a way I might be able to solve this myself... a flexible magnetic panel.

0000000073282.jpg

locking gas caps... in the old days... you needed a locking gas cap or cover to keep someone from inserting a length of garden hose into the opening and siphoning out your gasoline. I recall this being more common during the late 70s gasoline shortages.

I see that car makers solved this problem by making the internal gasoline shoot (not sure that's the correct term) just long enough for the average gas station nozzle... then, putting in a sharp turn. The turn makes it nearly impossible to put a hose in far enough to siphon anything out. It's a cheaper, more effective, solution than a lock.

Is it even possible to siphon from the NC's tank? How would a thief make use of free access to the NC's gas tank?

Now, a VANDAL... is a different story...

Back