• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

NC700X GP (Reverse) Shift Possiable?

honda_nc700x

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi,
New here and thinking of getting a NC700X. I currently own a CBR600 F4i which I have made the shift mechanism reversed, also known as GP Shift. For me, this is much more natural shift pattern (1 up, 5 down). It is a personal preference - please don't flame.
My question is: is this possible on the NC700X? Looking at the bike in the dealership it is difficult to tell due to the front sprocket cover being in place and I'm sure the dealer would not let me remove the two bolts to take a look behind the front sprocket cover.
All that is required is to loosen the connection to the shifter right under the sprocket cover and basically flip the mechanism so it is pointing up rather than down. It takes less than 5 minutes to do. As with my F4i, I am sure there would be some modifications (cutting) needed to be done to the front sprocket cover, but that does not bother me, it should be a cheap part replacement if ever needed.
My question to anyone that currently owns a NC700X is there any interference (metal on metal contact) when the mechanism is flipped and shifted?
If anyone has done this or if anyone if willing to try it (don't cut your sprocket cover please) and post a picture and let me know, it would be greatly appreciated.
As I mentioned, this is a personal preference and some people think I should just go back to the normal shift pattern. I would just worry that in a panic situation I would revert to my natural behavior (muscle memory) that I have built up riding the F4i safely for over 4 years and I like reversed anyways.
I tried the search functionality and found no results.
Thanks for any help I get and maybe I'll be a owner soon.

i don't have an answer to that, but going from an f4i (awesome bike) to an ncx is a bit of a change.
the ncx is geared very low, so you are not "race shifting" on this bike.
my .02 is ride the ncx 1st then decide 1. if it truely is the bike for you and 2. will race shifting work (for you ) on the ncx

i don't have an answer to that, but going from an f4i (awesome bike) to an ncx is a bit of a change.
the ncx is geared very low, so you are not "race shifting" on this bike.
my .02 is ride the ncx 1st then decide 1. if it truely is the bike for you and 2. will race shifting work (for you ) on the ncx

Race shifting is direct with no clutch? I tried that on my (so far) only ride on my new NC700 and it works fine as it did on several former bikes. Does it cause excess wear, or is there potential for transmission damage? I don't do it routinely because I'm not sure about it.

I would think it is possible to turn the link up side down. If you had the auto you would not have to worry about it.

Last edited:
Race shifting is direct with no clutch? I tried that on my (so far) only ride on my new NC700 and it works fine as it did on several former bikes. Does it cause excess wear, or is there potential for transmission damage? I don't do it routinely because I'm not sure about it.

my appologies, its called "GP shift" where you reverse the order in which you shift. so instead of 1 down 5up, it's 1up 5 down.
sorry, i'm used to the people i know calling it "race shift" when they are referring to 'gp shift"

I don't know what the term "race shifting" means, but I think the reason race bikes use the reversed shift action is to keep from having to try and get the toe of a boot under a shift lever that is really close to the ground to upshift while leaned way over in a left corner. Of course, I could be wrong and there is some other reason like it being easier to put downward pressure on the shift lever than to raise it, but it seems that would just be changing the weaker action from up shifting to downshifting.

Thank you for all who have replied, but I still have yet to see a solid answer to my question.

I understand the NC is much differently geared and will test ride it before purchase, thank you for that input miss demeaner.
I always use my clutch while shifting even thought I have it reversed. I am not a racer which is why I think the NC would be a more practical use of a bike for what I use it for. I commute and go to the grocery store with my F4i.
For me, GP shift has the benefit of that I don’t miss 2nd gear when going from 1st. Often times with normal shift, I would hit neutral going from 1st into second and that is embarrassing. When you just have to hit down on the lever (rather than pulling up on it), I am simply more likely to make a clean shift into 2nd.

So… can anyone definitively answer my question? A photo would help. It would require about 5 minutes of time to pull off the front sprocket cover (2 bolts) and the 1 bolt on the shifter and flip.
Thanks again – (and thanks for not flaming, I am not a racer as I said.)

P.S. I believe it is used in racing, as Spaceteach & Crilly said, it is in a nutshell to be able to up shift coming out of corners while leaned over. I have never leaned my F4i over that far.

This is the first bike I have had since the late 80's that I haven't set up with what we always called a reverse shift pattern (I have also heard "race or GP" pattern). While racing, the last thing you want is to have your boot jammed into a place you can't get it out of should you loose grip on either end. In racing you don't really shift in a corner, you should already have down shifted into the gear you need to be in while braking into the corner. After the apex, as you pick the bike back up into the meatier part of the tires your rolling into the throttle and you shift once your into more traction. Shifting in the corner would upset all kinds of dynamics that are in play while your pushing the limits of adhesion of your tires, and most likely put you on your head or ass. This is kind of a broad overview statement and there are a ton of variations of what will happen in a corner, but it comes down to its just easier to toe down the shifter as you accelerate and its safer not to be in a place that you can get a foot jammed in while in a corner. I had fallen into a bad habit of riding my NC with my toe just hanging below the shifter (got complacent) and I have found myself in a corner with my foot caught between the peg and shifter as the edge of my shoe grinds away on the pavement. I thought about trying to change the pattern, but then I just try to remind myself that this isn't one of my Gixxers or Ninjas and to keep my toes from under the shifter when I'm out trying to relive the old glory days by grinding the peg feelers.

Last edited:
Hi,
New here and thinking of getting a NC700X. I currently own a CBR600 F4i which I have made the shift mechanism reversed, also known as GP Shift. For me, this is much more natural shift pattern (1 up, 5 down). It is a personal preference - please don't flame.
My question is: is this possible on the NC700X? Looking at the bike in the dealership it is difficult to tell due to the front sprocket cover being in place and I'm sure the dealer would not let me remove the two bolts to take a look behind the front sprocket cover.
All that is required is to loosen the connection to the shifter right under the sprocket cover and basically flip the mechanism so it is pointing up rather than down. It takes less than 5 minutes to do. As with my F4i, I am sure there would be some modifications (cutting) needed to be done to the front sprocket cover, but that does not bother me, it should be a cheap part replacement if ever needed.
My question to anyone that currently owns a NC700X is there any interference (metal on metal contact) when the mechanism is flipped and shifted?
If anyone has done this or if anyone if willing to try it (don't cut your sprocket cover please) and post a picture and let me know, it would be greatly appreciated.
As I mentioned, this is a personal preference and some people think I should just go back to the normal shift pattern. I would just worry that in a panic situation I would revert to my natural behavior (muscle memory) that I have built up riding the F4i safely for over 4 years and I like reversed anyways.
I tried the search functionality and found no results.
Thanks for any help I get and maybe I'll be a owner soon.

I've made it! ;)
No problem at all, just remove the front sproket plastic cover and turn upsidedown the leverege.

I can post you a pics tomorow or the day after tomorrow if you want but it's really simple.

Markino,
Pictures would be great - I hope you can post them sometime soon. As well as comment on how much modification (cutting) to the front sprocket cover is necessary.
Thanks.

I've just removed the plastic cover and then turned upsidedown the leverage, you don't need any modification.
No problem at all riding without the plastic cover... it's just a cover... :)

Yeah, it is just a cover, but I assume it is there for a reason.
(1) safety: To keep bottom of pants and/or shoe laces from getting caught up in the front sprocket, and
(2) cleanliness: I think chain lube gets flung around there and I'd rather it get inside the front sprocket cover and cleaned up than on my shoes/pant leg bottoms.

Last year, someone asked this question and I took these photos:
However I am unsure if this can be easily done.

DB9EF787-9043-4D00-93C1-AD59AC2696A2-29972-00002591ED0CA2A7.jpg

0BD495BD-9B19-48B9-8C39-628D772C837D-29972-00002591E64E1FC3.jpg

Thank you for the picture posts. That is in the stock configuration - which I have seen in the dealership showroom floor. What I am hoping for are photos of it in the reversed position (which front sprocket removed) and verification that there is no interference (metal on metal contact) when shifted/operated.

Back