• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

NC700X manual gear shfting up without clutch

Soarezito

Reaction score
Visit site
I have been doing it occasionally, mid rotation (3500-4500rpm) shifting up by pressing lever up, cut throttle and it moves upwards effortless.

My newbie question: Does it makes any harm to gearbox?

Don't do it from 1st to 2nd gear obvioulsy.

I've busted the gears on 3 motorcycles doing that. Suzuki/honda/honda. But maybe i don't know how to do it correctly.

On the suzuki i even had an ignition interrupt button.

I don't think you should make it a habit. I have done it on accident before. It changes smoothly if rpm and force from throttle are just right.

I've busted the gears on 3 motorcycles doing that. Suzuki/honda/honda. But maybe i don't know how to do it correctly.

On the suzuki i even had an ignition interrupt button.

Back to clutch allways mode, although it feels great to shift it up this way... feels like pro racing :rolleyes:

Any damage to the gearbox? yes, over time. You are forcing the dogs from one sector of the transmission gears to another. Any time you force metal to do something it wasn't designed to do, failure will eventually occur.

If done correctly, there should be no force at all involved. Key word being correctly, and no one on the face of the planet does everything 100% correct 100% of the time, lol.

Off and on I've done it with all of my bikes, some more than others, some were easier, some didn't cooperate very well. I've goofed up lots of times too.

It's one of those things that serves no real purpose in day to day riding, other than perhaps make you familiar with proper rev matching and getting to know the relationship between engine rpm, gear engagement, and throttle position synchronising. This, IMHO isn't a bad thing to want to get comfortable with. If you have never ever experimented with doing it, it might be one of those things that stops your ride if a clutch cable or lever breaks, and you're in the boonies where you can't easily walk out or call a tow truck.

Of course, a smarter than the average bear would already have a spare clutch cable and lever tucked away, but that's another story lol

Can usually shift with a little throttle blipping without a clutch but I imagine it might add a little extra wear on a transmission.

I once had a fun ride home on my old XL500 back in the 80's We were out dirt riding all day in the sand pits and I managed to snap off my clutch lever. Had a 40 mile ride home I did with no clutch. Only really hard part was staring up from a stop, rev it up and jam it in first while trying to not stall. Tricky pulling out into traffic that way !

It can be done but it's risky. I've done it in manual cars but you have to rev match accurately or some pretty unpleasant sounds can come out of the gearbox. Motorcycle quick-shifters can do it for you as well. I personally don't want to mess with it all all anymore and after hundreds of thousands of manual shifted miles on bikes and cars I now let the DCT do it for me. Haven't missed a shift yet!:)

I let the DCT do it for me. Haven't missed a shift yet! :)

The clutch is there for a reason. By passing it is asking for problems. We are not as good as Racer Ricky at speed shifting.

The DCT is so trick. I love holding steady throttle and doing the toggle up shifts. Even in manual it will downshift to first when coming to a stop.
I'm still in the break-in period, but think it would downshift automatically if I lug it w/hard throttle. The DCT seems to take care of itself and not let the rider do things detrimental to the engine.

It can be done, and done safely. For literally decades, the only function of the clutch on any automobile was to let you start from a dead stop. OTR trucks are largely still that way. They're WAY easier to shift without the clutch.

Pay attention to what you're doing, and most people can do it at least passably. Some of us are probably better at it than others, just like with everything.

You should expect a bit more tranny wear, but at least the mythical 'average' bike and/or rider will never live to see it.

What purpose does it serve? Off road it was helpfully over rough terrain, especially when standing when riding dirt bikes. But on the NC most situations it serves no purpose for me. I have shifted the bike without the clutch out of habit a couple of times and it shifted flawlessly. How bulletproof is this transmission? I don't know but I plan on putting many more miles on the NC than any dirt or dual sport bike I have ever owned.

What purpose does it serve? Off road it was helpfully over rough terrain, especially when standing when riding dirt bikes. But on the NC most situations it serves no purpose for me. I have shifted the bike without the clutch out of habit a couple of times and it shifted flawlessly. How bulletproof is this transmission? I don't know but I plan on putting many more miles on the NC than any dirt or dual sport bike I have ever owned.

Purpose would be only riding pleasure and some less thousands clutch actuations every year.

I brought this to the forum as I am not a mechanic and because it feels so smooth that to my mind it is not damaging the transmission.

I brought this to the forum as I am not a mechanic and because it feels so smooth that to my mind it is not damaging the transmission.

I think you are completely on track and correct (as others have posted) if its smooth is not damaging the transmission.

If the gear change feels as smooth as if you used the clutch, you're doing it right and there is no extra wear happening in the transmission. Have fun with it, it's not a bad skill to have.

With proper traffic matching, you can eliminate the need to stop at a red light. Saves the friction material on the brake shoes as well as fuel.

Should have bought DCT. I never have to pull my clutch lever.

We not only are able to shift w/o pulling the 'clutch lever', we do it w/o changing the throttle setting between shifts, never getting it wrong.
I doubt Ricky Racer can do this on his X bike.

If the gear change feels as smooth as if you used the clutch, you're doing it right and there is no extra wear happening in the transmission. Have fun with it, it's not a bad skill to have.
+1 on this.

There are a couple of videos embedded in this link below that demonstrate just how little clutch (or none) is actually needed when good throttle/clutch/shift coordination is used. It's an advanced skill and no needs to learn it if they are afraid of harming something although done correctly it does not harm the transmission. Or you can buy an automatic and forget shifting skills ever existed.

Smoother gear Changing, gear shifting on your motorcycle. ? Advgrrl

Back