• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

NC700X... or BMW or Gold Wing for serious touring?

When I bought the NC, I didn't want something big and powerful. In fact, the NC is bigger and heavier than I really want, but I thought it was the best match for me. I do one or two three day rides a year. Try to ride out into the countryside about once a week. I did a bucket list, 6500 mile trip last year. Hope to do one or two more. The NC performed flawlessly. I see no reason to get another machine.

I own two bikes: Honda NC700X, and Yamaha FJR1300

Cost: (used)
NC700X $4,000
FJR1300 $5,000

With the right seat, the NC can be an all-day touring bike. Freeway pegs are also a must for me.
Both bikes have heated grips and heated seat.
(Haven't figured out how to mount highway pegs on the FJR... not yet.)

If I'm going camping (using sites on FreeCampSites.net) then it has to be the NC. Some of the dirt roads need a lighter bike. I could NOT lift the FJR if it feel over in sand or mud or most anywhere else for that matter.

If I'm going cross country camping at KOA and Motel 6, then maybe the FJR.... except here the gas mileage comes into play.
45 MPG on the FJR isn't any better than our Honda Fit automobile. The cost can become a problem.

Range: (miles per tank)
FJR=250
NCX=180 (fully loaded) bare 210

Fairing and weather. The fairing on the FJR is NOT as good as the home made windscreen/fairing I've cobbled together over the years. FJR also lacks highway pegs which makes a HUGE difference.

I hope this comparison was useful to someone!

Last edited:
I would highly recommend a BMW R1200RT in the 2010 vintage.
I am not alone, by a very long shot, in claiming this is probably the best long distance Sport-Touring bike ever made.
I had mine for 36000 miles and got and overall average of 50mpg here in SoCal.
A really nice feature of this bike is that you can perform a full valve adjustment in about 45 minutes without removing ANY body panels
I never even had to replace the valve cover gaskets.
Most of these bikes come equipped with just about every option you can imagine.
The REAL cruise control is awesome.

Back