• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

NC700X Skid Plate

Jerry Rathman

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi,
I just bought a NC700X and so far I love it. It's likely to see 90% paved road use with the rest gravel/dirt roads, a few fire/logging roads etc.
My question is about skid plates. Do I need one to protect the engine/oil filter/exhaust from rocks being thrown up?
Is there another option? I know the plastic will do nothing if I were to high center the bike on something, but I have no intentions of riding in that type of environment. My only fear is small rocks off the front tire.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks,
Jerry

Hi,
I just bought a NC700X and so far I love it. It's likely to see 90% paved road use with the rest gravel/dirt roads, a few fire/logging roads etc.
My question is about skid plates. Do I need one to protect the engine/oil filter/exhaust from rocks being thrown up?
Is there another option? I know the plastic will do nothing if I were to high center the bike on something, but I have no intentions of riding in that type of environment. My only fear is small rocks off the front tire.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks,
Jerry

I have encountered some nasty cratered pot holes and thick washboard which caused a deviation from my planned line (read: a panicked auuugh! :eek: lol :eek:) which resulted in a bottomed out suspension and a whack to the bottom of my skid plate, but if you only foresee less worrisome surface conditions and lower speeds in your dirt road plans, then you should be ok without one.

Maybe a front fender extender, radiator guard, and some fork tube rock deflectors would be good though. :)

About a day after I got my NC700, I bottomed it out on a particularly nasty pothole that I couldn't avoid and went to dirt. Scratched the OEM undercover.

I put the SW-Motech skid plate on immediately.

600 miles later I had to take the skid plate off to change the oil and I found all sorts of scratches, bugs and dings on the bottom of it. No dents, but definitely rocks have pinged off it and scraped the aluminum.

Good point. I guess nobody ever "plans" on needing the skip plate. It also makes lifting the front of the bike a lot easier.....

Member Griff on the forum, mooshed his header pipe just aft of the catalytic converter on a fairly innocent greenlaning outing, where a surprise obstacle caught the underside of his bike, from what I recall. I think the chance of damage is probably not a huge deal, but once you do venture off the tarmac, the possibilities are always there for D'oh! :mad:

:D

Thanks for all the replies guys! Looks like now I just need to decide on which one to get.

Here's the SW-Motech one which has no adverse interactions with their brand of crash bars. It requires a bit of filing/cutting where it meets the centerstand. It covers the rear shock linkage which is good.

504d3721fc7acac02377014fea6dd077.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What works for me

Hepco & Becker skid plate and Givi engine guards

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 1,090
  • Gurards.jpg
    Gurards.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 954
Last edited:
Why skid plate?
Bikes Needs Oil to Run - Album on Imgur
After much looking and contemplating my budget I took a little risk and went with iron skill out of the Ukraine.
d706cd15f46940042469a491031b64ad.jpg

b2ce8bdbc2485b2adf1a2ef0ba8bd067.jpg

No issues/mods needed with OEM center stand. Don't know how it would be with other engine guards but attachment was 4 bolts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am using the Givi engine guards and HondaBikePro DCT skid (bash) plate. Dale of HondaBikePro is a forum member and has made some very nice and useful additions to the NC700X.

The link above is exactly why you need a skid plate. It's the only problem I had with Honda's design of the NC when I first started looking at the bike. I put the SW-Motech plate on my bike. Dirt roads here in Vermont go from groomed, smooth, well packed dirt to nothing but fist sized rocks. Every time I hear a loud CLANG! I'm very happy I put the plate on.

Last edited:
There was a fellow in Europe that got a hole in his NC's case from a rock on the highway a couple of years ago. Better to have one and not need it, than need it and not have it.

There was a fellow in Europe that got a hole in his NC's case from a rock on the highway a couple of years ago. Better to have one and not need it, than need it and not have it.

I know this fellow in Texas who has had to use a sledge hammer, vise, bucking bar, and c-clamps to straighten out his skid plate a few times now, ME!

This looks really good compared to others. I like the slider bobbins. But I see these folks are banned from this forum. And the website is Ukraine language only. Do you speak the language? How were they to deal with? How did they ship? Which is the right one to order for manual transmission? Sorry for all the questions. :cool:

About a day after I got my NC700, I bottomed it out on a particularly nasty pothole that I couldn't avoid and went to dirt. Scratched the OEM undercover.

600 miles later I had to take the skid plate off to change the oil and I found all sorts of scratches, bugs and dings on the bottom of it. No dents, but definitely rocks have pinged off it and scraped the aluminum.

Amen! Same experience here with my motech. well worth the money. easy install too.

Amen! Same experience her with my motech. well worth the money. easy install too. I was lucky and didn't have issues with filing to fit center stand.

I also now have the SW Motech plate. I like their stuff. I am holding off on luggage, but I may go with their system.

Back