• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

NC700XA Tire M Spec?

Frandemonium

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi. I saw an excellent thread about tires that would fit my bike and it answered some of my questions. I need a new front tire (2012 NC700XA) and the manual says that I need a 120/70ZR17M/C (58W). What does the M/C stand for exactly? Is this the same as M spec? I'm looking at a Metzeler Roadtec Z8 Interact and it says M spec.

M/C means Motorcycle Tire as opposed to an automobile, light truck, trailer, or agricultural machinery tire.

M spec in this context can mean that that particular tire was originally an OEM tire on a production motorcycle. Some owners might want to replace tires with M spec just because the bike came with them from new. Some NC700Xs came with Metzeler Z8s but not Interacts. My 2012 NC came with Z8s. I am sure the tire you are looking at would be OK to use.

M/C means Motorcycle Tire as opposed to an automobile, light truck, trailer, or agricultural machinery tire.

M spec in this context can mean that that particular tire was originally an OEM tire on a production motorcycle. Some owners might want to replace tires with M spec just because the bike came with them from new. Some NC700Xs came with Metzeler Z8s but not Interacts. My 2012 NC came with Z8s. I am sure the tire you are looking at would be OK to use.

Thanks for the reply. The tire I ordered last time is not available at my usual supplier and I want to be as informed as possible when I'm shopping around.

For Metzeler, it used to be that:
"M-spec" meant dual compound tire,
"E-spec" meant OE tire that comes from the factory on some motorcycles, and
"O-spec" meant a dual compound tire with a 2-ply carcass for heavier motorcycles.

That was over a decade ago, though. I'm not sure if those codes still apply or not. Metzeler usually lists HWM (Heavy Weight Motorcycle) these days for applications where in the past they'd have just called them O-spec. I don't know what it says on the actual tires, though. I haven't had any Metzelers since the OE tires on Wiley.

Also: None of the tires marked for heavy motorcycles have any higher load index nor weight rating, so I've always been somewhat circumspect about that aspect of tire labeling, at least for motorcycles.

For Metzeler, it used to be that:
"M-spec" meant dual compound tire,
"E-spec" meant OE tire that comes from the factory on some motorcycles, and
"O-spec" meant a dual compound tire with a 2-ply carcass for heavier motorcycles.

That was over a decade ago, though. I'm not sure if those codes still apply or not. Metzeler usually lists HWM (Heavy Weight Motorcycle) these days for applications where in the past they'd have just called them O-spec. I don't know what it says on the actual tires, though. I haven't had any Metzelers since the OE tires on Wiley.

Also: None of the tires marked for heavy motorcycles have any higher load index nor weight rating, so I've always been somewhat circumspect about that aspect of tire labeling, at least for motorcycles.
O or the now more common GT spec tires for heavier sport touring or touring motorcycles can have an extra 1 or 2 plies in the carcass compared to non GT spec. The stiffer carcass flexes less and creates less heat. Like you I have wondered why GT spec tires don’t have higher load ratings and came to the conclusion that load ratings are always keyed to the tire size not actual testing to load rating based on extra plies.

Reactions: MZ5
Back