• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

NCX Fenda Extenda attachment

I did not like the idea of double sided tape supplied, Drilling and screwing. I wanted it to look clean neat and tidy. I removed the fender. Light sandpaper extender and guard. Glued the 2 together. I Used ProTek PVC Cement for Pressure pipes??? Not sure if was right or not, but has done the Job. If this breaks I would use one of the RTV Silicone's, in preference to Epoxy. Re-assembled the guard to the bike. Looks good. If you do not want to remove the guard then drill and screw is the choice.
20130305_181449.jpg

I'm willing to take the risk here and sticked mine on with some 3M Super Heavy Duty double sided tape. For glass and acrylic. Anyone here's got experience with those? I'll know if it works in a few weeks if its still there or not. :)

I'm willing to take the risk here and sticked mine on with some 3M Super Heavy Duty double sided tape. For glass and acrylic. Anyone here's got experience with those? I'll know if it works in a few weeks if its still there or not. :)

No, you or a hapless future owner of it will know if it is still there in five years and has not come loose and got sucked up under the fender and locked the front tire. The extender underlaps the original fender and the direction of tire travel is upwards towards the fork tubes. It may fall harmlessly onto the ground, or it may get sucked up and lock the wheel. You could crash and die. I told myself I wasn't going to say any more about this topic, but I have found like Ron White that I have the right to remain silent, but not the ability. I explained from the viewpoint of a Chemical Engineer with 30 years of experience including medical plastics and expert witness testimony in plastic failure cases how solvent adhesives work and the specific chemistry of the plastics Honda chose. I talked about creep stress and the issues with use of tapping screws in plastic. What you are choosing to do here is to intentionally not use a failsafe fixation method in a critical application. You say you are "willing to take the risk" but I wonder if you really know what the risk is. I also wonder if you are willing to take the risk for future owners of your machine or for the people you might mislead with your cavalier approach.

The bike has fasteners all over it. I bet if you asked a thousand people to look at the front fender with the extender bolted on, that not one whould say "Why does it have those four screw heads on it, that's ugly." Folks, I REALLY don't get this point of view.

I also wonder if you are willing to take the risk for future owners of your machine or for the people you might mislead with your cavalier approach.

The bike has fasteners all over it. I bet if you asked a thousand people to look at the front fender with the extender bolted on, that not one whould say "Why does it have those four screw heads on it, that's ugly." Folks, I REALLY don't get this point of view.

Really? Cavalier?

I've used that 3M tape to fasten various things (including the Extenda on my NC) to cars/bikes and unless you don't follow the instructions for using it (yes, there are instructions for tape!!) it's not coming off without serious effort. I'm talking heat and fishing line to take it off.

Some folks like a clean look, and I'm on of them. I could really care less if someone else notices, what matters is what I think of my bike/car/truck.

Last edited:
Beemerphile is right. Don't take any unnecessary risk by "testing it out", just so it looks nice and tidy on your fender. You can not violate Murphy's Law.

Beemer,
it's good that you stay alert and don't stop commenting on the subject! It really helps new members like me who may not have yet come across all the correspondence on the subject!
What people decide to do is their business, of course! But a fair warning is ALWAYS in order and never gets old!
Thank you!

Showkey, great job! That's what I would like to do! Would you spare some details, please. Or point me to the thread if it already exists.
Thank you!

I also like a clean look and added mine with silicone sealent. The bike may have fastners all over it but that does not mean I need to add anymore if I dont need to. Each to his own I guess

Tony

Friends, I know it may seem that I go overboard on some things. I don't mean to ruffle tail feathers and I certainly did not and do not mean to disparage anyone's solution. My career in drugs and medical devices has made me cautious - especially when there may be safety implications. Lots of this time was in plastics and I know more than a little bit about it. I used to tell my people "Don't tell me what you think, tell me what you know". If you do not have a validated solution, then redundancy can add assurance of safety. Whether or not what someone thinks will work really does work will not be known for years - including what I think will work. Someone will be riding these bikes for many years. They will undergo freeze/thaw cycles; the passing of time; mud and debris; extreme heat; cleaning chemicals; road debris will be carried over on the tire; it will get beat and banged in maintenance and in use. Chances are that most of the solutions will hold. Maybe all of them. But it is the "chance" that I am talking about.

In the case of solvent adhesives like PVC cement, I think that solution is just technically wrong and quite risky. Both plastics have to be soluble in the cement for it to work properly. That is why PVC, CPVC and ABS all use different cements. The plastic used by Honda for the fender is a nylon 6 and polyphenylene ether blend with 10% glass fiber reinforcement. Does anyone want to guess whether it is soluble in PVC Pressure cement? I don't - even with 30 years in plastics. The Fenda Extenda is made of a blend of polystyrene and polyethylene. What is your guess on that? ABS cement or PVC? What about CPVC? Remember you need a solution that works for both. How different is this from the intended use where both parts to be joined are known to be polyvinyl chloride?

Pressure sensitive adhesives of sufficient tenacity (tapes, 3M and otherwise), silicone adhesives, and epoxies are all valid fastening mechanisms for this use, and installed properly, should work. They do not rely on solubility in the mated plastics. However, redundancy in this case is so easy that I am just having a hard time wrapping my mind around why it would not be employed.

Showkey, great job! That's what I would like to do! Would you spare some details, please. Or point me to the thread if it already exists.
Thank you!

4 aluminum 1/8 pop rivets with washers on the bottom side evenly spaced............metallic silver paint applied to the rivet heads with a touch up brush.

Can you tell me where you bought the fork tube shields, I had a bug that hit on the fork tube dried and got down in the fork seal and caused a fork to leak on a different bike

Here you go:

Closely:

IMAG0148.jpg

By far you barely will see the rivets:

IMAG0150.jpg

FYI, the rivets are 4 mm diameter. In the internal side I used a 4 mm washer to allow the rivet do its job. Forgot to mention I dismounted the fenda, glued it with epoxy glue and let it dry several hours before installing the rivets. I would say the rivets are not needed if you use a good glue but, you know, just in case something goes wrong...

HTH

Can you tell me where you bought the fork tube shields, I had a bug that hit on the fork tube dried and got down in the fork seal and caused a fork to leak on a different bike

I bought them on eBay long time ago, can't find them actually, I'm sorry

What is it protecting the forks from, actually? :confused:

Road debris, bugs, trash... whatever could jump up and put a ding in the upper fork tube where it slides past the seal. Doesn't take much of a nick in the surface of the tube before it'll start weeping fluid.

trey

With a set of fork gaitors, the seals will last the life of the bike.

OK, I'm convinced fork gaitors are good thing to have, but I'm not sure how to find a set that will fit the NCX. Did you (or anybody else for that matter) happen to find some? Read about some wrap-around velcro one by hippo hands, but can't find them either....

OK, I'm convinced fork gaitors are good thing to have, but I'm not sure how to find a set that will fit the NCX. Did you (or anybody else for that matter) happen to find some? Read about some wrap-around velcro one by hippo hands, but can't find them either....

According to the Hippo Hands website, they only deal directly. This is probably what you are looking for.
http://www.hippohands.com/FORK%20PROTECTORS.htm

Back