• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Need help aux. lights

misterk

Reaction score
Visit site
cd859f6d1ff71d98ab7df1706a2fd4fa.jpg

Ok, I added these lights, they are the Cree 18w lights (18w for each light). Since they are drawing 36w (I assume about 3amps), is that too heavy a load to wire into the Oem aux. harness (which I have). I want to wire it to the high beam switch. The one with the 3 wires one being the blue.

So do I take the black wire on the lights to the negative wire on harness (which color?), and the red wire on the lights to the blue wire?

Thank you for your help.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The harness is fused at 7.5 amps total. So the lights will work fine on the Accessory Harness unless you have other loads attached that, combined, will exceed the 7.5 amp total.

Also note that the blue high beam wire in the harness only works with 2012 and 2013 models.

Edit to add: I see on the schematic that the blue wire is fused by the headlight circuit 15 amp fuse, so there should be adequate spare capacity there for your lights.

Last edited:
cd859f6d1ff71d98ab7df1706a2fd4fa.jpg

Ok, I added these lights, they are the Cree 18w lights (18w for each light). Since they are drawing 36w (I assume about 3amps), is that too heavy a load to wire into the Oem aux. harness (which I have). I want to wire it to the high beam switch. The one with the 3 wires one being the blue.

So do I take the black wire on the lights to the negative wire on harness (which color?), and the red wire on the lights to the blue wire?

Thank you for your help.

I don't use the Honda accessory harness so no help there but as to black to ground - Honda uses green for grounding. Find a green to tap into or just go directly to a frame fitting to ground. Inside the NC front fairing on either side is a convenient ground for auxiliary lighting, that's where I grounded mine.

You will be fine using the Honda Accessory Harness without any issues with your setup.

"GREEN" has been "GROUND" on Hondas for over 50 years now. All my Hondas from the 1970's and the one 1965 CA77 that I had were all green for the ground.

This is from a post in 2014 from silverhound

"Ok I've been watching this thread now and I apologize if this has now already been covered. In the larger connector of the aux harness (from the drawing above) with the three wires, green is ground, brown is switched power and blue is switched power from the high beam circuit. I think you mentioned that you felt brown was ground but it's not. Solid green is ground throughout ALL the wiring on the NC (and most other Honda bikes as well).

So if you want to run your LEDs ONLY when the highbeams are on (which you seem to state in your first post) you can either simply power them from the blue wire directly and ground them with the green or to a different grounding point OR you can use the blue wire to trigger a separate relay and power them with the brown wire or directly off the battery or from another switched constant power source (i.e. running lights). If they are low draw I would have no problem just running them off the blue wire without the extra relay since it seems that's what Honda intended by providing that wire."

http://nc700-forum.com/forum/garage-mechanical-help/6167-wiring-led-lights-hondas-acc-harness-2.html

So if you want to run your LEDs ONLY when the highbeams are on you can either simply power them from the blue wire directly and ground them with the

Here is what I am thinking:

I am going to power them directly with the blue wire and ground them with the green.

Going to the blue and the green didn't work, turned the high beams on and poof, headlight went out.

Blew the fuse, replaced, headlight works. I might have touched the two connectors together.

Last edited:
Success

9084368ec1e771549008cce6fc12228b.jpg

I wire to the blue wire for switched power from the high beam switch, and used the green ground wire. This is on the oem aux wiring harness.

Last edited:
Here is what I am thinking:

I am going to power them directly with the blue wire and ground them with the green.

So did this work out?
What model year is your NC?
I am hoping to use the blue wire in my 2015 NC DCT.
I want to do the same except have a switch for the LED's

DCTFAN Im not sure what blue wire is being referred to - But the blue wire in the Accessory Harness is not powered in the 2014 or 2015 ( i have a 2015 dct) - You will need to find another place to access the High Beam - The wire runs out the back of the headlight (access point 1), down and back up to the left of the bike, in a harness, to just below the left indicator -(access point 2 if you strip back some of the harness outer cover), someone suggested that there is a harness plug there too - but i cant confirm.

I would also recommend a skene IQ-275 as it supports a switch as well as the main beam connection and it will come with all the posi lock connectors too.
Skene Design Motorcycle Visibility Lights

I have a 2013 dct, so I had the blue wire, worked like a champ, those suckers are bright.

DCTFAN Im not sure what blue wire is being referred to - But the blue wire in the Accessory Harness is not powered in the 2014 or 2015 ( i have a 2015 dct) - You will need to find another place to access the High Beam - The wire runs out the back of the headlight (access point 1), down and back up to the left of the bike, in a harness, to just below the left indicator -(access point 2 if you strip back some of the harness outer cover), someone suggested that there is a harness plug there too - but i cant confirm.

I would also recommend a skene IQ-275 as it supports a switch as well as the main beam connection and it will come with all the posi lock connectors too.
Skene Design Motorcycle Visibility Lights

I guess I'll have to use the posi-tabs then. Thanks, for the suggestions.

I bought the connectors from a reference here, then pulled out the blue and green connector from the 3 point connector, made a 2 point connector. I soldered everything.

Back