• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

New Electronic Clutch?

dduelin

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm confused ... the e-clutch overrides the manual clutch but lets you pull a lever anyway? It says "enabling smooth starting/shifting/stopping without the need for the rider to operate the clutch lever." That sounds like the clutch lever is just a "dummy?" (what else is there besides starting/shifting/stopping?) Somehow that seems like DCT but hidden behind a placebo-clutch (I may trademark "placebo-clutch").

I'm confused ... the e-clutch overrides the manual clutch but lets you pull a lever anyway? It says "enabling smooth starting/shifting/stopping without the need for the rider to operate the clutch lever." That sounds like the clutch lever is just a "dummy?" (what else is there besides starting/shifting/stopping?) Somehow that seems like DCT but hidden behind a placebo-clutch (I may trademark "placebo-clutch").
Placebo-Clutch (tm)… that’s awesome

I wondering if this electric placebo-clutch is the answer, what was the question? What problem are we solving or who would want this “enhancement”? What untapped market segment might it reach?

I wondering if this electric placebo-clutch is the answer, what was the question? What problem are we solving or who would want this “enhancement”? What untapped market segment might it reach?
Hipsters who want to think they’re shifting but aren’t any good at it. They’re small but have a powerful lobby

• Haha
Reactions: MZ5
Nope. The e-clutch is activated when pressure is applied to the shift lever at a preprogramed rate. Manually applying the clutch lever disables the e-clutch for more precise control when desired. It's a guess, but I'd bet on it being 95% accurate.

Using Apple's critical thinking logic of why, how, what, it becomes clearer.

Last edited:
Sounds a lot like a quick shifter
Similar. It is my understanding that most quick shifters still require you to use the clutch at least to first gear. Some quick shifters are unidirectional, and others are bidirectional. If the video is accurate, you don't need the clutch for first gear, shifting up, or shifting down.

It does sound like Honda's version of a quick shifter or shift assist where the clutch is only needed to start and stop. Not much information to go on.

Nope. The e-clutch is activated when pressure is applied to the shift lever at a preprogramed rate. Manually applying the clutch lever disables the e-clutch for more precise control when desired. It's a guess, but I'd bet on it being 95% accurate.
OK, so somewhat like the auto-clutch Honda had over 50 years ago on the mini trail bikes, only now you still get a clutch lever, too.

It does sound like Honda's version of a quick shifter or shift assist where the clutch is only needed to start and stop. Not much information to go on.
Not sure. If you look at the video the clutch is not engaged, the rider shifts to first, and the bike goes into gear from neutral if we are to believe the advertising.

OK, so somewhat like the auto-clutch Honda had over 50 years ago on the mini trail bikes, only now you still get a clutch lever, too.
I'm only 56 and unfamiliar with the auto clutch. But I could infer that it shares some of the functionality, conceptually. However, if you were unable to use the clutch to modulate power delivery on the 50+ year old device, then I would say that this tech is substantially dissimilar.

Last edited:

In terms of the mechanics of how it works, I think it's nothing like. In terms of how it feels to use it, I bet it's rather similar, yes. Perhaps the key differences are:
1. Patentability
2. ...uh, something... Maybe just the ability to modulate power transmission with your left hand? That really does work better than just opening or closing the throttle (think stability parking lot maneuvering by modulating the clutch vs. only modulating the throttle).

I'm only 56 and unfamiliar with the auto clutch. But I could infer that it shares some of the functionality, conceptually. However, if you were unable to use the clutch to modulate power delivery on the 50+ year old device, then I would say that this tech is substantially dissimilar.

It was a centrifugal mechanism, so whilst sitting at idle the clutch was disengaged and you just shifted the bikes into 1st gear. Then as you opened the throttle and the rpm increased, the clutch would smoothly grab with increasing force and you'd take off. Shifting required only backing off the throttle, making the shift, and re-applying the throttle. Sounds pretty much the same as what is described here, no?

For all I know, centrifugal clutches aren't amenable to the much higher output of today's engines vs. the 50 - 80cc bikes of the '70s. However, patentability seems like a probable factor here to me, too.

You know, maybe it's as cheap (or even cheaper?) to do things with solenoids and software than it is with mechanical centrifugal works these days. I know that coders in vast stretches of the eastern hemisphere work VERY inexpensively. Or, maybe there's just no one left who understands machines. Maybe they all only understand yes or no.
:p;)

Back