• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

New Member From Rochester NY

livelyjay

Reaction score
Visit site
I just bought a 2012 NC700X off of CraigsList with 17700 miles on it. This is my first motorcycle. It already has some decent accessories: Honda tall windscreen, Givi racks, Tourtech crash bar, bar risers, GPS mount, and LED running lights. The guy I bought the NC700X from didn't know much about it's history other than the guy he bought it from got it off auction. I guess that was a salvage auction because it has a salvage title. I'm not too worried because he put 10k on it since 3/28/16 and it drives fine. He also got the valves adjusted, new tires, and the bike passed inspection in June.

This is my first bike. My dad introduced me to motorcycles way back when I was around 8 on a Honda Trail 90. I then got an upgrade to a Honda 175. He then bought twin 350 dual sports that we rode around on the back roads. That 350 was way too big for me but I loved riding. I'm semi kicking myself for not buying one new, but this being my first bike I was a little weary of buying one new. Local shop offered me a 2014 for $5500, but I didn't want to finance. Now I'm just waiting patiently to get the thing registered and my helmet to arrive so I can start riding.

My plans for the bike are commuting to work and camping trips. The first upgrades I'm planning are a tail bag, USB charger, and a bi-xenon headlight retrofit.

Last night I took apart the plastics just to check the air filter and the fog light install job. All I have to say is wow, whomever installed the driving lights did an okay job, but it's definitely not clean. Two wires coming off the battery for power and ground, they fused the power wire. They added an inline tap and another wire and just taped them up. Installed an "add a fuse" to the OEM headlight. All of this leads to a fuse for the driving lights. Then there's a crap ton of zip tied extra wire. It's really difficult to push it all out of the way and close up the battery cover. Add that to the list of stuff I'll take care of over the winter.

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the purchase. I think you'll find this is a great bike for commuting. I have used my bike for that purpose almost exclusively the last four years.

Thanks.

Quick question. This add-a-fuse the previous owner installed isn't necessary and I'd like to remove it because it prevents the fuse cover from fully closing. It's essentially a fused wire that's triggering the driving light relay to turn on. Fusing this isn't necessary. What's the best wire/place to tap into accessory power? I'm planning on three accessories (driving lights, USB charger, HID ballast) for now and I'd like to install it as cleanly as possible. This post has good suggestions on the install, but all the photos are dead.

After doing some additional research I came up with a wiring diagram for my accessories (see below). Other option is to just pony up some bucks, buy this, and save myself some time. Only issue will be where to install it. I'm guessing this won't fit in the gap next to the air filter housing.

Wiring Diagram
WiringGuide.jpg

Thanks for the link. That's pretty slick, but isn't that just a glorified relay and power distribution block that's weather resistant?

I don't have the accessory relay nor the accessory sub harness. I was thinking I could add the accessory relay and fuse, but adding the harness seems like a complete pain. Couldn't I just tap into the accessory wire behind the OEM fuse box? If so, what color is it and how can I pull the fuse box out to get behind it?

GregC, the more I'm reading up on these power blocks, the more I'm liking that Innovv Power Hub you posted. Where did you connect the yellow wire? Do you have pictures of the installation?

I put a color schematic and description in this thread:
Innovv Powerhub install

It was very easy. I connected the yellow trigger wire to the turn signal relay trigger using the posi-tap that comes with the kit. I also bought more posi-taps so I could connect all the ground wires to the Powerhub ground wire as mentioned in the Web Bike review (so there would be a common ground). I'm installing some led spot aux lights using the Skene controller and that should be a snap with the Powerhub as well.

Edited to add: I do not have the Honda harness and I have a 2015 DCT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Thanks for the link. That's going to be very helpful down the road as I plan out my install. From the schematic it looks like any pink/blue wire will be accessory, but the turn signal relay sounds to be the most accessible.

Finally got the bike registered on Friday. Put 160 miles on it this weekend puttering around the area. Givi V47 ordered and should arrive Friday. I'm going to attempt to commute to work tomorrow with my workout gear stuffed in the frunk and my work gear on a backpack while I wait for the Givi case.

Found out my soft sided cooler and a growler fits in the frunk. Made a 40 mile round trip to a local brewery to test it out.
20170902_143828.jpg

Rode about 1.5 hours to visit some friends and helped them set up camp. Couldn't stay because of prior obligations. Maybe this weekend though.

Attachments

• 20170909_130519.jpg
    20170909_130519.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 77
Back