• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

New member welcome thread..

Randy that is incredible, what a great story and incredible first ride! Thank you for sharing that with all of us and a hearty welcome from northern IDAHO. Just a few weeks ago I rode down from Idaho and stayed at the 3 Step Hideaway(highly recommended) just south of La Sal Utah. While there I rode over to Ouray Co and down the Million Dollar Hwy to Albuquerque, then over to the 4 Corners Monument into Arizona for a ways and back up to 3 Step. Hope you continue to get out and ride often, looking forward to seeing you on the road somewhere... :{)

View attachment 38367

Wow has that place changed since I was there... oh... 40 years ago??!! Oh crap does time slip away or what?

Hi All, I am Rod from Brush Prairie Wa. USA.
I have been riding mountain bikes and offload motorcycles for years (30+) and have now grown to love the feel of the road bike and all of the smells and scenery that you experience while on the bike. I have multiple road bikes but have really come to enjoy my NC700x. I am riding with a high school best friend and several others and my wife enjoys the passenger experience as well. I am using the NC as my entry into adventure biking. It fits me well, as I am only 5'5' and most ADV bikes are too tall.
I really value all the info on the site here. Thanks, Rod

Hi Rod and welcome!

Sounds like you are really diggin' the NC. It is a wonderfully adaptable motorcycle. Think jack of all trades and master of none (ok, maybe one: MilesPerGallon).

Has your bike been checked for the display recall? I also have a 2014 that I purchased new, and one of these days I need to bring it in for the meter replacement and get my frame stamped.

A hearty welcome Rod from northern IDAHO!!, great choice on bikes! A little later this summer i'll be headed your way to the coast. I'm putting together a few days off for an Oregon Lighthouse ride! All will be welcome to come and join in and ride some or all of it if they'd like to!

:{)

Hi guys and girls. I'm Karl from (close to) Durban, South Africa.

Been riding bikes for about 15 years now, but I've been on my NC for closing in on 2 years and still loving it!

I've been scouting this forum for a day or 2 and have found some really interesting reading!

Sent from my SNE-LX2 using Tapatalk

Hi,
I'm Axel (Alfa because of an old love of Alfa Romeos).
I started riding a 125 cc scooter about 8 years ago in Madrid (the only decent way of commuting and parking) and continued to ride the same scooter in Costa Brava and Barcelona.
You can ride scooters and motorcycles up to 125cc with the normal car drivers licence in Europe.
After a while I'd needed something stronger for longer commutes and because of the scenic area I was living in so I've got the normal motorbike licence.
In the meantime I moved again and now live in Germany and work in the Netherlands.
I could easily drive to work but I've decided to be a motorcylist.
Now I own a 2012 NC700SA to work and do smaller tours in the weekends.
And I am still surprised when other bikers greet me on the road like one of their own. But after all, I am now.

Welcome from South Carolina USA. Looking forward to your contributions and photos to learn more about Europe.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

I'm Axel (Alfa because of an old love of Alfa Romeos).

Now I own a 2012 NC700SA to work and do smaller tours in the weekends.
Welcome from Oregon, enjoy your new ride!

My favorite car was my 1964 Alfa Romero Giulia Spyder 1.6L (prior body style to the Graduate’s Duetto version) that I enjoyed during the 70’s. I’d take it on curvy mountain roads (only on nice days) where it rode like it was on rails!

Ray

I am not looking for a fight, I'm just stating my observations about our recently purchased 2018 NC 750x DCT.
I did know seat was poor but, the front brake is grabby until it fades quickly, the rear brake is weak then fades rapidly, the front tire is too wide to be sure footed on gravel, it also throws rocks on the oil pan, the windshield is at the wrong angle for wind protection, the bars are too low and narrow to even attempt to trail ride, I'd give up half the gas mileage for 10 more horsepower and it makes a strange noise from the fairing like it's constantly dragging a traffic cone underneath the bike.
Oh ya, the front forks are weak, the small panners are cut away (rounded for clearance) at the bike side for no apparent reason and the gauges are hard to read.
I'm disappointed in myself that I never test drove it, I would have never bought it.

Last edited:
I am not looking for a fight, I'm just stating my observations about our recently purchased 2018 NC 750x DCT.
I did know seat was poor but, the front brake is grabby until it fades quickly, the rear brake is weak then fades rapidly, the front tire is too wide to be sure footed on gravel, it also throws rocks on the oil pan, the windshield is at the wrong angle for wind protection, the bars are too low and narrow to even attempt to trail ride, I'd give up half the gas mileage for 10 more horsepower and it makes a strange noise from the fairing like it's constantly dragging a traffic cone underneath the bike.
Oh ya, the front forks are weak, the small panners are cut away (rounded for clearance) at the bike side for no apparent reason and the gauges are hard to read.
I'm disappointed in myself that I never test drove it, I would have never bought it.

We welcome you to the forum. Your NC experience doesn’t sound good; too bad the NC750X didn’t work out for you. The NC is an economical, low budget street bike. You mentioned gravel and trail ride, so maybe Honda marketing the bike in their adventure category may have led you to believe it had off road capabilities, which it generally does not.

Having been on this forum almost 7 years, I see a lot of people come and go from the NC quickly, perhaps because they misjudged what the bike was designed to be. It seems that around half of the forum newcomers get all excited about the bike, then sell within a year, but the rest of the new owners hang on to the bike “forever”. The predictable end is already near as soon as “need more horsepower” is mentioned. I think the NC is different enough from the mainstream motorcycles that it’s either exactly what buyers were looking for, or not at all what they were looking for.

If you move on from the NC and shop for another bike, I hope you find what you’re looking for. You’ve probably learned from this experience that test drives and more pre-purchase research might help you find your ideal motorcycle.

Last edited:
Sounds like a classic case of "I liked the pricetag of the NC more than the pricetag of the Africa Twin and made my decision solely based on that, now I'm not happy"

I have ridden a lot of motorcycles over the years and prefer higher performance over economic/practical characteristics. And even being like that, I feel the NC is a badass bike - for its intended purpose. Low on power yes, but it handles like a sportbike. I have also found the brakes to be sufficient (on my NC700X), not sure if they are different on the 750's...but I doubt it. You mention being dissatisfied with offroad performance but mention brake fade, if you were actually working the brakes to the point of brake fade, I'd imagine it would be easier to do that on the road riding hard, not riding hard offroad. So what exactly are you doing to get not one but BOTH brakes to fade?

If you are 'that' dissatisfied with it, go trade it in on an Africa Twin so you get that skinnier front tire, more power, better brakes, and better suspension for offroad. Or sell the NC and buy one. It's not a big deal, you are acting like it is the end of the world. If you just bought a leftover '18 NC, chances are you got a good deal on it and won't lose much selling or possibly even trading in. Those are pretty much your only 2 options, so instead of dwelling on the NC being a misfit to your desires, signing up here just to complain about every single aspect of it, take action and go get what you want. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I was just saying,,,

Sounds like a classic case of "I liked the pricetag of the NC more than the pricetag of the Africa Twin and made my decision solely based on that, now I'm not happy"

I have ridden a lot of motorcycles over the years and prefer higher performance over economic/practical characteristics. And even being like that, I feel the NC is a badass bike - for its intended purpose. Low on power yes, but it handles like a sportbike. I have also found the brakes to be sufficient (on my NC700X), not sure if they are different on the 750's...but I doubt it. You mention being dissatisfied with offroad performance but mention brake fade, if you were actually working the brakes to the point of brake fade, I'd imagine it would be easier to do that on the road riding hard, not riding hard offroad. So what exactly are you doing to get not one but BOTH brakes to fade?

If you are 'that' dissatisfied with it, go trade it in on an Africa Twin so you get that skinnier front tire, more power, better brakes, and better suspension for offroad. Or sell the NC and buy one. It's not a big deal, you are acting like it is the end of the world. If you just bought a leftover '18 NC, chances are you got a good deal on it and won't lose much selling or possibly even trading in. Those are pretty much your only 2 options, so instead of dwelling on the NC being a misfit to your desires, signing up here just to complain about every single aspect of it, take action and go get what you want. Good luck.

Well, there's no shortage of bikes in my garage, I own an Africa Twin too, I've owned more than 50 bikes, raced seven different classes over the years, so there's a bit of experience here too.
The price of the NC 750 was not a selling feature to us.
I totally agree with you the bike would make a far better sport bike than it ever would a back road touring set up, as Honda advertised.
We ride the Western Canadian foothills, mountains and forestry trunk roads, with the bikes loaded for overnight stays, pretty much it's intended purpose.
The wife's NC 750x is a full load with every Honda accessory,
I'm just saying,,, we found it at the edge of it's performance envelope a few times already, unfortunately.
As for trading it in, we tired pretty much immediately when it only had 300 km and were offered 55% of it's purchase price, yet another NC disappointment.
But that's no big deal, right?

Last edited:
Lesson learned

We welcome you to the forum. Your NC experience doesn’t sound good; too bad the NC750X didn’t work out for you. The NC is an economical, low budget street bike. You mentioned gravel and trail ride, so maybe Honda marketing the bike in their adventure category may have led you to believe it had off road capabilities, which it generally does not.

Having been on this forum almost 7 years, I see a lot of people come and go from the NC quickly, perhaps because they misjudged what the bike was designed to be. It seems that around half of the forum newcomers get all excited about the bike, then sell within a year, but the rest of the new owners hang on to the bike “forever”. The predictable end is already near as soon as “need more horsepower” is mentioned. I think the NC is different enough from the mainstream motorcycles that it’s either exactly what buyers were looking for, or not at all what they were looking for.

If you move on from the NC and shop for another bike, I hope you find what you’re looking for. You’ve probably learned from this experience that test drives and more pre-purchase research might help you find your ideal motorcycle.

Thank you for the welcome, it's greatly appreciated.

Agreed, it was my mistake not to also test drive the bike, when she chose it.

But, "misjudged"?
I'm kinda leaning more toward "mislead" for our experience.

Thanks again.

What were you mislead about? Given your extensive experience with motorcycles, I'd figure spending about 5 minutes looking over the NC's spec sheet and another 5 minutes staring at the bike in person, you should have a darn close idea of what to expect without even taking a test ride. I never even saw an NC in person when I made up my mind that I wanted one a few months ago. Found one used on Craigslist, drove 2.5 hours one way, test drove it around a parking lot with no helmet just to ensure the DCT changed gears correctly, loaded up and carried it home. I can't say that I was negatively surprised by any single thing about the bike. Mainly because I had realistic expectations going in. Actually was pleasantly surprised with the handling and brakes. The power was pretty much as I expected it to be.

I mean it shouldn't matter if Honda billed it as a super enduro champion bike.....the smaller 41 mm conventional forks, horsepower in the mid 50's, single front brake disc, 17" wheels, basic tube frame construction, etc all should have painted a good picture of what its intended use was. And if that wasn't enough, the slightest research on Honda Powersports website would reveal phrases like "great for cornering", "a good long distance and short hop street machine", etc.

After hearing that you have years of advanced experience with motorcycles, it's even more crazy to me that you feel mislead.

And I still would like to know what kind of riding is being done to make the brakes fade. I have rode the absolute crap out of mine in the canyon and other twisty roads and never experienced brake fade...and I am sure the brake fluid in it is what came in it when it was new in 2013.

Back