• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

New owner, what kind of tools should I put in tool kit.

rjarrell

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi everyone, just bought a new 2014 nc700x. The tool pouch just had a flip screw driver and a little cable thing. Wondering what kind of tools I should get for the tool kit and second, what's the tittle cable thing for..

The cable thing is a helmet lock...I think. Tool kit = cell phone and a AAA or AMA card with tow package. AMA is cheaper.

If I am on a long trip, I might carry a spare cables, throttle & clutch levers and a tire plugging kit with pump. I would need the tools necessary to make the replacements.

rjarrel, I'll be in Gulfport in Feb, maybe we do a ride....

will be trailering down NC700 and wifes FZ-07 (due to the fact that leaving NY in Feb is USUALLY WAY TOO COLD, and we can get there much quicker)

Yea, that is all that comes in most new motorcycles (if that much). The cable is to hook your helmet into the cable loop under the rear seat (read your manual). Read the manual for maintenance on the bike, and tools required to due the maintenance put in the tool kit, including socket and wrench to loose the front and rear wheels (never know when you may have to adjust the chain).

I don't carry anything around town or on most short trips. Between the AMA and the towing package I have included in my insurance, I can get towed for up to 50 miles and not pay a dime.

For a trip: These go low in my pannier bags, and I try to make sure the weight is even between the 2.
Stockton Tool Roll - STOCKTON TOOL COMPANY - Roadside Tool Kit - Wrenches & Pliers - Tools - Accessories - Cycle Gear
Tire Inflator (12v) - DOUBLE TOUGH - Compact Portable Mini Air Compressor - Tubes - Tire Accessories - Tires - Cycle Gear
Tire Plug Kit - DYNAPLUG - Ultralite Tire Repair Kit - Tire & Wheel Tools - Tools - Accessories - Cycle Gear
Chain Breaker kit - STOCKTON TOOL COMPANY - Chain Breaker and Rivet Tool Kit - Multi-Tools - Tools - Accessories - Cycle Gear
Chain Wax - MAXIMA - Chain Wax - Chain Care - Cleaners - Accessories - Cycle Gear

Wheel Wrenches - These don't fit in the tool roll, but I have them in my pannier bag. Keep leverage in mind, longer handles, easier to manipulate tight bolts.
- 17mm Allen (Front)
- 22mm Screw (Rear)
- 27mm Nut (Rear)

Other misc stuff
- Shop towel (2)
- Velcro

CycleGear will run sales on this stuff all the time. I havent paid full price there on anything, ever. Can you get better tools than the CycleGear? Yes. And I have them at home. But on the road, get tools to get you off the road and to a repair shop. No need to break the bank twice.

This is what my tool kit looks like:
tool kit.jpg
*pic is poached from the internet but mine is exactly the same.

Do all the american models come with stripped down tool kits? If not you might be able to go back to the dealer and ask for the complete set.

In addition to what you see there I carry a small knife, some zip-ties, a pair of pliers and am planning on adding a socket and some way of driving it so I can remove the seat if necessary.

According with the honda NC700x part catalogue, here are the tools/things that should be included in the tool bag (if I can call it a tool bag)...
I'm pretty sure only a few of us have all theses tools/things included. In my case, item number 1 - 2 - 12 - 13 were missing.
NC oem tool kit.jpg

Back