• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

New to group - comparing Versys 650 to NC750X

smittyv

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi I'm new to the group and I am shopping the Versys 650 against the Honda NC750x. I will continue to read thoughts on this forum in addition to the great info that I have already found.

Someone overseas or Canada may be able to compare the two riding rise but you can Google the specs on both of the 2018 models and compare the specs-what gets me right off is the 2018 Versys 650 LT is msrp of $8999.00-probably at least a $1000 than the Honda NC750x; the 2018 Versys 650 ABS has msrp $8100 and the Versys is a 649cc engine. Wheels/tires on both are the same on both front/rear. Versys-No Frunk!

Versys is more fun: more powerful engine that can rev, better fork (inverted and adjustable to some extent), lighter.

But no frunk, no DCT.

NCX is better (with DCT IMHO) for confort and day to day use.

Disclaimer : I did not ride the latest Versys model but a previous one. I also own an ER6 which has (almost) the same engine.

I think it comes down to how old you are. Not in years but maturity. The horsepower and screaming along at 10,000 RPM is attractive to 17 year olds.
The Kawasaki takes that.

For the geezers the frunk is a wonderful concept. Great gas mileage, ease of service, low center of gravity and most of all DCT. Arthritic wrists and thumbs thank Honda for the extra years of riding Big Red has given us (me)

For those who have been there and done that, they know through long experience that 54 HP. is enough to take you anywhere. And believe it or not 54 HP can let you collect a ticket anywhere too.

Versys is more fun: more powerful engine that can rev, better fork (inverted and adjustable to some extent), lighter.

But no frunk, no DCT.

NCX is better (with DCT IMHO) for confort and day to day use.

Disclaimer : I did not ride the latest Versys model but a previous one. I also own an ER6 which has (almost) the same engine.

Yep, the versys 650 does have 8 more hp than the nc700x and 5 more hp than the NC750x (based on European specs), and has a redline 1900 more rpm than the NC700x (don't know reline of the nc750x) but then I have never hit the rev limiter on my nc700x. The specs on the 2018 Versys 650ABS has the weight at 476lbs and the 2017 Honda nc700x is 474 lbs (so the nc700 is actually lighter then the versys) and the 2018 Honda NC750x is 478 lbs (2 lbs heavier). The OP needs to pull up the specs on both bikes and just do a side by side comparison on paper; find a Kawasaki event day and go test ride a Versys 650; unfortunately not too many places will give test rides on the Hondas (Daytona bike week in October-they may be at the track giving demo rides).

I was lucky enough to ride both side by side last year when I was looking. I had been away from riding for a while and the NC700X felt better and was easier to ride than the Versys. The Versys had a little more "zip" and was a little more top-heavy but they felt very similar. I rode 2 new bikes at the dealer (the honda was a 2016 and the Kawasaki was a 2017) and 2 used bikes (2012 Honda, 2013 Kawi, from different sellers) and the impression was the same. I liked the Honda best and found a good one in better shape and at a better price than any of the Kawi's that I say.

Yep, the versys 650 does have 8 more hp than the nc700x and 5 more hp than the NC750x (based on European specs), and has a redline 1900 more rpm than the NC700x (don't know reline of the nc750x) but then I have never hit the rev limiter on my nc700x. The specs on the 2018 Versys 650ABS has the weight at 476lbs and the 2017 Honda nc700x is 474 lbs (so the nc700 is actually lighter then the versys) and the 2018 Honda NC750x is 478 lbs (2 lbs heavier).

You may want to check again.

Comparing current models, Versys 650 '15 with NC 750 XD '16 (Europe)

Versys is 69 HP vs NC 55, that is 14 more
Versys is 217 kg vs NC 230, that is 13 less
Versys limiter is at 11000 rpm vs NC 7000, that is 4000 more (not the exact values, being conservative there).

Last edited:
The Versys and the Vstrom rev, produce more power, and have the "fun factor" label. The NC is lower rev's, better fuel economy, easier to maintain, carries it's weight lower making it feel much lighter than it really is, and has the added versatility of the storage space of the frunk. So there are pros and cons to both. Only you can decide what you are looking for in your bike. Are you mild mannered or a wind it up and let er rip kinda rider? That will probably be the best yardstick to use for measuring up which bike to buy. The NC is a good all around bike, but fast isn't one of the attributes I would use to describe the NC.

I agree with many of the comments here. The NC is more a commuter bike, almost like a big scooter type of response.
Of course you can have fun on the NC, but it is not "exciting" enough.
Other "normal" bikes above 600cc (like the Versys or Vstrom) packs more oomph and more zippy.
Try both types and decide on your needs...and that weekend "wants"...

I sold my NC700X after 5.5 years. Only complaint was it became "boring"...

When I was looking for a 650 class bike in 2012 I rode the Versys several times. What I did not like about the Versys was the character of the engine and the top heavy feel compared to the NC. To me the Kawasaki seemed coarse and unrefined. I often ride long distances and the demo Versys vibrated through the bars at 65-70 mph. I so understand the latest model Versys has addressed this and it's much better but at that time the loping feel and low frequency vibes of the NC were more appealing to me. In fact, those qualities were very similar to the BMW the NC replaced. I was predisposed to a torquey engine with a low red line. I'm an older rider and the bikes I was looking at that time ( Versys, VeeStrom, KLR ) were replacing a bike with almost 120,000 miles on it. I was looking for qualities other than zip and top end rush.

In forums you have to realize that many people own motorcycles for the image they project rather than for riding qualities of the motorcycle. One poster in this thread sold his NC after 5.5 years and it barely had 5,000 miles on it. If you are new to a forum that is a challenge - separating the wheat from the chaff. Some of the people posting here have hundreds of thousands of miles experience. I am sure the Versys forums are exactly the same.

While I personally think references to the NC as a big scooter are ridiculous I can see the connection to that notion because of the available automatic shifting DCT. I think it is a good thing that Honda makes the manual version available for those that want to shift gears manually.

You may want to check again.

Comparing current models, Versys 650 '15 with NC 750 XD '16 (Europe)

Versys is 69 HP vs NC 55, that is 14 more
Versys is 217 kg vs NC 230, that is 13 less
Versys limiter is at 11000 rpm vs NC 7000, that is 4000 more (not the exact values, being conservative there).

Sorry, mother Kawasaki doesn't list the specs on their website and 2 different motorcycle magazines have diff specs listed.. My bad

Boring, exciting, character. I've commented on these words before.

Around 1966-67 I bought a 1959 Triumph Tiger Cub. It was much slower than a NC.
But I always found it quite exciting to loose the feeble headlight riding home at night. Lucas electrics you know.

I believe it was considered to have character when it would sputter to a stop in a pouring cold rain. And it built character in the rider as he pushed the SOB home.

Don't even get me started on finding and buying Whitworth wrench's.

Dave's right, after a few hundred thousand miles, exciting and character loose some appeal and boring becomes attractive.

Living in Virginia, dependable and boring becomes VERY attractive when west of the Mississippi.

Back