• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

OEM Flasher Unit Modification for LEDs

Brillot2000

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey All,

There has been many request regarding what has to be done to the OEM Flasher to get it to flash properly with LEDs installed and used on your bike as turn signals.

DISCLAIMER: The unit shown in the following images was a failed attempt to modify my OEM Flasher Unit. There have been many others that claim that this will work, however I could not get it to work for me. The following information is being provided for INFORMATIONAL PURPOSED ONLY!!! Perform at your own risk!!!

1. You will need to gain access to the PCB of the flasher unit. The following image shows the entire cover removed for clarity.

OEM-Flasher1.jpg

OEM-Flasher2.jpg

2. Flip the PCB over and locate IC (circled in red).

OEM-Flasher3.jpg

3. Using a soldering iron, heat the pin shown in the image below and left up and away from the pad of the PCB. Make sure the pin does not contact any surface.

OEM-Flasher4.jpg

4. Re-install the cover and wrap it with electrical tape not to allow water or other items to come into contact with the electronics.

The use of RTV is not recommended for electronics, as it can release acetic acid and could be demanding to circuits and/or components.

Brillot, am I missing something here? As I read it you are showing how to do an electronic mod that doesn't work?

NO, let me clarify this once again. This modication did not work for me. I am not saying that it does not work at all. There were several post in another Threads elsewhere stating that it would work. I performed the procedure as described in that post and it did not work for me or for my specific application.

I found that purchasing this Flasher Unit from Amazon and removing the 2 resistors noted in the image shown below. The unit worked just fine, however I flipped the signal switch over to the blinkers that still had the incandescent bulbs in them and "Toasted" that unit due to the excessive current and removal of those resistors hindered the current limiting.

Attachments

• TurnConversion7.jpg
    TurnConversion7.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 472
Last edited:
So, you saying if you had not had Incandescent bulbs in , you think it would have worked?

It did work perfectly for the blinkers that I installed the LED Bulbs into, it was proven that it did. Being the inquisitive person that I am and the nature of being an engineer, I had to see the effects of the changes of with the incandescent bulbs. I learned first-hand, so that other people that do this will not make the same mistake that I made. :eek:

It did work perfectly for the blinkers that I installed the LED Bulbs into, it was proven that it did. Being the inquisitive person that I am and the nature of being an engineer, I had to see the effects of the changes of with the incandescent bulbs. I learned first-hand, so that other people that do this will not make the same mistake that I made. :eek:

That is great explanation. I have to learn from other's mistakes. I don't have time to make them all myself.

Ok so you removed the two resisters on the flash unit,

With new LED's installed will the flash rate be correct, or do I still need to add a couple resisters to slow down the flash rate of the LEDs

Ok so you removed the two resisters on the flash unit,

With new LED's installed will the flash rate be correct, or do I still need to add a couple resisters to slow down the flash rate of the LEDs

Yes. The flash rate was fine and within the 90 flashers per minute as called out in the DOT requirement. Do not mix LEDs with incandescent bulbs, otherwise you will "TOAST" the unit. I found this out the hard way.

Learn from my mistakes and do not repeat them.

FWIW for those not so inclined to do this you can buy a digital one that plugs right in and works with led or incandescent bulbs as it is digitally timed, no heater strip.

FWIW for those not so inclined to do this you can buy a digital one that plugs right in and works with led or incandescent bulbs as it is digitally timed, no heater strip.

I already looked into that. There's "NO" units that will plug directly into the OEM Flasher Connector on the harness, I have already been down that road. Yes, there are flasher units out on the market today that will work with both LEDs and incandescent bulbs. However there are none that are a direct replacement for the flasher unit that Honda has selected for this and other bikes.

That's why I had to make the adaptor shown from the damaged unit to use an OTS Flasher Unit in its place, please refer to and start at Post#30.

This items is not available in the US and I can imagine its not cheap either. The shipping alone would be like $40 USD.

I bought the flasher unit that I used of about $12 and had to fabricate the adaptor that I showed.

Plus half the fun making your own gizmo, eh? :cool: (well if they work... some of my fun things don't always quite work as planned, lol :eek:)

Back