• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

OEM Honda Center Stand Install

I see in the instructions to remove several bolts holding the silencer on to the bike. Do those bolts come out permanently or is there a missing step to put them all back in afterwards? I suppose I don't understand the reason behind removing the several exhaust bolts. Help?

The bolt removal allows you to move the pipe outwards to give you more room to install that keeper; however, I was able to do the job without removing/loosening any bolts (skinny fingers).

The bolt removal allows you to move the pipe outwards to give you more room to install that keeper; however, I was able to do the job without removing/loosening any bolts (skinny fingers).

Same story. I didn't remove or loosen the bolts when I installed mine.

I installed this stand on my nc700s today. Followed the instructions to fit the springs up, then slide the shaft in, but couldn't get the shaft to line up properly with the right hand side. Ended up using a ratchet strap to e rear wheel to pull the stand back which got the shaft almost lined up, but a little low. Then stole the jack from the car to push the stand up to line the shaft up perfectly and through it went! Whew!

Then realised that the small spring had slipped off the retaining bolt...

Aaaaaaargh!

If only I had a friend, I'm sure it would have been easier with an extra pair of hands.

I installed this stand on my nc700s today. Followed the instructions to fit the springs up, then slide the shaft in, but couldn't get the shaft to line up properly with the right hand side.
Then realised that the small spring had slipped off the retaining bolt...
Aaaaaaargh!

If only I had a friend, I'm sure it would have been easier with an extra pair of hands.

Installing the springs after the center stand is bolted in place, using a piece of cord tied to the rear wheel, and turning the wheel to pull the springs toward the rear wheel, is the easiest "one man option" for mounting the centerstand. My method of installation on my last six bikes.:p

I thought I'd share my method, which worked out well. I didn't have any chord laying around strong enough to pull the spring by the tire.

First I used an automotive jack to extend the spring by itself, and I placed a bunch of metal washers inside the extended coils. Lowered the jack, installed center stand bolt halfway through, hooked up the spring with washers, and then was easily able to manuever the center stand to get the bolt the rest of the way through. Used screwdriver to pry coils apart to remove washers when done.

Installing Center Stand on NC700X

I've just recently installed a center stand on my NC. Installation was fairly easy except for the springs. Friend looked at some videos on installing them and we hooked a rachet strap to the rear swingarm, made a loop out of a piece of nylon cord, and pulled the spring into place. I had fought this task for several hours prior and the strap fixed it in about 15 minutes. The spring within a spring tends to work against itself but the above method worked great pulling both springs at the same time.

Tried installing 3 ways: spring on 1st, spring expansion tool, and using ratchet tie down to extend spring. 10 minute install either way.

All 3 work - the easiest was using a ratchet tie down to extend the spring.

1. With regard to Honda directions: No need to touch the exhaust - plenty of space to install the spring hook without loosening or removing the muffler bolts, washers, nuts.

2. all 3 ways I need a 2nd person. With the ratchet and spring extender - needed the 2nd person to hold the handlebars to keep the bike from moving backwards. When installing the springs before the center stand shaft, the 2nd person was necessary to hold the center stand back so the bar could extend through. I found this to be a little more difficult than installing the bar 1st and then simply stretching the spring into place.

3. Using the tie down ratchet ... I attached the spring to some inexpensive twine looped up 3x and tied around itself --- looped one end around the springs and the other around the hook of the tie-down ratchet --- I hooked the ratchet end to the bottom of the iron railing to my house --- three cranks of the ratchet and the springs snapped right into place on their own. I could also have attached the tie down to the wing arm and then I would not have needed the 2nd person.

I bought my centerstand on Bike Bandit, along with a pair of ratchet straps and used Ed's method to install it on my 2016 DCT. I used a length of old wire I had wound around many times to grab the springs.
Did not remove the muffler but see how that would have made things easier as it took me a while to get the spring hook (coated with Loctite) into the hole.
I made a mistake of wrapping the strap around the rear wheel instead of the swing arm, so the biggest issue for me was figuring how to get the wire out of the ratchet strap when it ate it! It wouldn't back out very easily.
So glad to have the stand on as I couldn't figure a way to jack up the rear tire for chain lubing using either of the 2 paddock stands I have. I couldn't find any holes for sprockets, like on my earlier bike. And the stand that lifts up by the 2 swing arms on my first bike was hitting too much on the right side swing arm. I didn't enjoy my first chain lube without a stand very much!
Thanks for all who posted videos.

Just put mine on a day or two ago as well. (From Honda). Agree having a c-stand is almost critical for many types of service work.

I finally did my install today. I followed the instructions regarding removing the muffler bolts. This is really only required if you want to torque the spring hook pin. If I were to do it again I would skip it. Checking the 16 ft/lb torque value with what I would do with without torquing were similar enough so not worth the extra effort in my opinion.

For inserting the rubber into the stand I skipped the dish soap. I wanted to be able to grip the rubber with my fingers to pull it in. That combined with compressing the back side of the rubber to fit through the hole was very easy.

I dry fit the shaft stand in the frame first and I think this helped knock of some of the road gunk in the holes. I didn't put the 6mm plug bolt in at this time as I was concerned that I may have to take it apart if I had issues with the springs. I could have put it in right away.

For the springs I followed the instructions regarding doing the small spring then big combined with ratchet straps. With the small spring I used a lanyard I had left over from a trade show. This worked very well. For the large spring I had trouble getting the tension on the ratchet strap to work in the correct location. I ended up looping the strap around the hook on the spring which worked well.

In addition to the OP instructions I watched some YouTube videos:
Honda NC700X center stand/spring instal - YouTube
Honda NC750X Centre Stand Install - YouTube
NC700X Centerstand - YouTube

It was foreign to use the centre for stand the first time. Like anything that is foreign just needed some practice. Put it up an down half a dozen times and now seems relatively easy. To get it up I force my foot mostly down so legs do most of the work with my hands pulling on the frame and grab rail. To get it off I am standing on the clutch side of the bike grabbing the bars. I rock it forward with my right hand feathering the front brake for control.

Last edited:
Just installed the centerstand I bought off Laze1 and went with the ratchet strap technique for the springs. Connected it to the back wheel and wrapped some 550 cord around the springs and onto the ratchet hook. A few clicks of the ratchet and I was able to pop the springs in place. Simple! Thanks for all the tips!

Back