• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

OEM Honda Center Stand Install

"Should that not read "owt for nowt" as my old Gran would say. Yes I'm ashamed to say that there is a (very) little bit of Northerner in me /
Lets see how our American cousins translate that phrase "

I tried googling, binging, and asking around the office. I still have no clue what it means. I cannot even glean a clue off the context of the sentence.

owt — pron
( Northern English ) a dialect word for anything

[a variant of aught 1 ]

nowt -noun, plural nowt. Scot. and North England .
1. an ox.
2. a herd of cattle.

nowt- noun British Dialect .
naught; nothing.

I don't think he was talking about cows so I'll go with the southern USA version of 'it didn't cost him nothing'.

owt — pron
( Northern English ) a dialect word for anything

[a variant of aught 1 ]

nowt -noun, plural nowt. Scot. and North England .
1. an ox.
2. a herd of cattle.

nowt- noun British Dialect .
naught; nothing.

I don't think he was talking about cows so I'll go with the southern USA version of 'it didn't cost him nothing'.

And the man takes the Prize or at least he would have done if there was one

A lot of deep southern USA dialect is based on various UK dialects so going back to my roots, Alabama, and saying it out loud, I can get most of it. For the rest there is dictionary.com.

yep any thing for nothing.

here you go for some northern slang.
giza...give a
wat's dat! what is that
canna do it...can't do it.

as for some folks in Newcastle even I can't understand them and its only 40 miles away.

Gullah is a mixture of English and West African that originated on the east coast of South Carolina, Georgia, and Florida. You find parts of it mixed in throughout the deep south with pockets of communities that use it extensively. If you have ever seen the Disney movie “Song of the South”, you have heard it. Here is a Wikipedia article on it. Gullah language - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I work with people from all over the world and often find it interesting to learn about the regional differences in customs, dialect, accents within a single country. Moving a few hundred miles west from Alabama to Arkansas made a big difference for me. I got many comments of your still in the south but your accent is different.

wat's dat, canna do it, those are common over here. Giza was a new one for me.

there is two way of spelling GIZA the other is GISA job etc.
also swearing f.....off can be as uckoff! wiv out the 'f'

Gullah is a mixture of English and West African that originated on the east coast of South Carolina, Georgia, and Florida. You find parts of it mixed in throughout the deep south with pockets of communities that use it extensively. If you have ever seen the Disney movie “Song of the South”, you have heard it. Here is a Wikipedia article on it. Gullah language - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I work with people from all over the world and often find it interesting to learn about the regional differences in customs, dialect, accents within a single country. Moving a few hundred miles west from Alabama to Arkansas made a big difference for me. I got many comments of your still in the south but your accent is different.

wat's dat, canna do it, those are common over here. Giza was a new one for me.

I ran into Gullah in the Folly Beach / John's Island area of the South Carolina coast. Incredibly interesting to listen to. I had a white friend who grew up there who could speak it right back to them. He had a gift of accents and dialects. After 30 years in the Army, he could listen to you talk and tell you the first two digits of your zip code. Amazing.

Me, I am doing good to hear and understand good grammar. Assuming that you can find any.

I'm from nort jersey, bada bing = WOW, great, good deal, nice, and just about anything. dees dem doughs=these them those, yous guys=y'all. ey=hey, fagetaboudit=forget about it. nuttin=nothing, mudder= mother, fadder= father. mudder can also mean a horse that runs good in the rain. not uncommon to use the F word every 2-3 words inbetween.

Recently a customer was writing and check to me, when I spelled my name he said that doesn't sound Italian but you have an Italian accent, I think he watches to many gangster movies?

Let me have a butchers at that. We would say let me have a whack at that.
Do you fancy a Ruby? I believe that is in reference to a redhead. Least I’ve referred to redheads as rubies.
I’m off down the frog. Wild guess…..I’m at the local watering hole.

Soggbottom, jersey speak on a conference call, I have to ask them to slow down and take a breath every now and then so my brain can catch up.

I'm from nort jersey

You're from Jersey? What exit?

I used to live in Clinton, NJ. My neighbor was rambling on about something one day and I said "Carmine, I know you are talking faster than I can think, but I hope you are not talking faster than YOU can think!

Let me have a butchers at that. We would say let me have a whack at that.
Do you fancy a Ruby? I believe that is in reference to a redhead. Least I’ve referred to redheads as rubies.
I’m off down the frog. Wild guess…..I’m at the local watering hole.

Soggbottom, jersey speak on a conference call, I have to ask them to slow down and take a breath every now and then so my brain can catch up.
no it is all to do with rhymes sl :-
butchers is Butchers hook = look
frog is frog & toad = road
Ruby is Is Ruby Murray* = curry
Yes these are avtually used along with loads of others
* popular singer in the 50s

You're from Jersey? What exit?

I used to live in Clinton, NJ. My neighbor was rambling on about something one day and I said "Carmine, I know you are talking faster than I can think, but I hope you are not talking faster than YOU can think!

I don't think there is a dedicated exit for Freehold, maybe turnpike exit 8 Hightstown or parkway exit 102 Asbury Park, I don't talk real fast but once I start its hard to turn me off.

Clinton is a cool place, I used to fish at Round Valley and picked up many ton of stone at Glen Gardner Quarry.

Returning to the origonal topic I was pleased to see that my new bike came complete with centre stand. I guess being in a completely different price bracket to the NC may have something to do with that

Back