• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

OEM Shock top joint, bearing or bushing?

AsureDawn

Reaction score
Visit site
I've gotten an Aprilia Tuono shock for my NC, and was reading the NC's service manual to get an idea of what replacing the shock would entail, and I got thinking... a few were worried about whether it'd be fine using this particular shock because of the bushing, but it appears the OEM shock uses one too. There's instructions on replacing the bearing on the bottom, but no mention of the one on top (and it mentions checking the bushing for damage, pointing at the top joint), and bike bandit only lists one part, the needle bearing for the lower joint, and the diagram doesn't point at both (only the bottom).

So (tl;dr), does the top joint, in fact, have a needle bearing, or is it a bush?

Last edited:
I think you're worried about nothing. Just bolt-in the Aprilia shock and live happily ever after.

ps. When you track the range of motion of the suspension, the upper mount barely moves.

Not really worried, just curious. If anything, the fact that they both use bushings is reassuring, but I was more concerned about the process of replacing the shock than with that. After looking at the manual, that's not a big concern either.

I've gotten an Aprilia Tuono shock for my NC, and was reading the NC's service manual to get an idea of what replacing the shock would entail, and I got thinking... a few were worried about whether it'd be fine using this particular shock because of the bushing, but it appears the OEM shock uses one too. There's instructions on replacing the bearing on the bottom, but no mention of the one on top (and it mentions checking the bushing for damage, pointing at the top joint), and bike bandit only lists one part, the needle bearing for the lower joint, and the diagram doesn't point at both (only the bottom).

So (tl;dr), does the top joint, in fact, have a needle bearing, or is it a bush?
The OEM shock has a bushing at the top.

The Honda service manual has you removing the bike's side panels to access the upper shock bolt. I can say from experience that it can be done by just removing the one lower side cover bolt and pulling the cover outward. The key is to have the right length extensions for your ratchet wrench to access the top bolt.

The OEM shock has a bushing at the top.
Thanks. ^_^
The Honda service manual has you removing the bike's side panels to access the upper shock bolt. I can say from experience that it can be done by just removing the one lower side cover bolt and pulling the cover outward. The key is to have the right length extensions for your ratchet wrench to access the top bolt.

Alright, thanks. I would guess an open ended wrench would be about impossible, not that I planned to use one. lol

I can undo/remove the upper shock bolt without tampering with the plastic. Initially, I did loosen or remove the plastic but no longer bother with that since I felt it didn't provide access that made it worth the extra trouble.

You can see the socket head bolt from the left side but the nut on the right side is impossible to see. I attach a long box end wrench to the nut and use a socket driver/w ratchet on the left side. There is very little clearance for the swing of a ratchet handle so it takes a while. I have a Harbor Freight lift that helps get the bike to a workable height. You'll probably fill the air with cuss words as you work through this process for the first time!

Good luck. :)

ps. having the bike on a centerstand makes it much easier.

Last edited:
Back