• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

older fat guy dreaming

Fredtoo

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Recently sold my cruiser (Yamaha Roadstar, 1700) because I hadn't ridden for three+ years. When I saw it leave in the truck the twinge hit me. I loved the cruiser because a friend had one, for long rides, around Lake Superior, etc, but rarely rode otherwise. I'm 65 and a bit on the heavy side (5' 11", 280# (maybe more than a bit)). I prefer to be off the beaten path with back roads and an occasional dirt road, which the RoadStar didn't much care for. Wandering is a plus as is tent camping. So, is a NC700X DCT a good choice for me? I'm not flush with cash but realize some tweaks might be desirable so would appreciate any input that fits my age, weight, riding desires, etc.

I'm an OFWG and I understand. That's why I chose the NC. Its not really an off road bike, but it does a great job on diet and gravel if the gravel is not too deep. I have some some fire road work in the few months I've had it. I plan to do more once I have a proper skid plate and mount some dual sport tires. I really like the low CG. Make sure you ride with someone else off road. Might need help picking it up when you drop it.

From a short, fat, ugly, old guy; you should enjoy the NC7. I have a 28" inseam, and have no problem riding the NC7. I do a lot of tent camping, and this bike does the job quite well. I see that you live in NC. Quite a number of the riders on this form will be at Deals Gap the second week in Oct. for the Horizions Unlimited meetup at the Iron Horse just off of Deals Gap. Stop by and talk with us, I belive you will have a good time.

Better yet join the the fun:

HU Travellers Meeting North Carolina 2015 | Horizons Unlimited

What he ^^^^ said. OCR is so old......he's just old!

I'll be 60 in a couple of months and I don't consider myself old.
Of course, I've been told I'm delusional. I prefer immature.

Even if you don't have an NC by then, you should show up and meet up!

If you can make it to horizons unlimited, you can see all the different adjustments we've made to our bikes. I daresay there won't be two NCs the same there. Plenty of comfort mods dependent on your preferences, but I would recommend suspension upgrades if you'll be riding on anything but smooth-as-glass roads.

I'm 65 and a bit on the heavy side (5' 11", 280# (maybe more than a bit)). I prefer to be off the beaten path with back roads and an occasional dirt road, which the RoadStar didn't much care for. Wandering is a plus as is tent camping. So, is a NC700X DCT a good choice for me? I'm not flush with cash but realize some tweaks might be desirable so would appreciate any input that fits my age, weight, riding desires, etc.

I'm a tall, not so fat, but xtra ugly, old guy, and the NC700X is the perfect ride for me doing all the things you described. I'm old school though, no automatic trans. Nice size & price, nicer mileage, carefree camping and touring. Bit of caution though, plan on getting an improved aftermarket seat!

Ray

And a note on the DCT - LOVE IT! I spent nearly 200 miles on gravel this past weekend and while I wasnt going through mountain passes, there were a few harrowing moments where if it wasnt for the ABS, I would have laid the bike down. No ABS on the manual version (I still dont understand, ABS should be a standard on every bike with the option to have it removed.)

But not having to fret over what gear I was supposed to be in or anything, especially when I needed more power, I just pull back the throttle and the engine gave me all she had without me having to think about clutch work.

And in traffic, no sore wrists or fingers from having to feather the clutch.

I discovered another DCT advantage while riding in Southern OH a few weeks ago. Negotiating tight, uphill switchbacks is easy when you can downshift with a flick of your forefinger. It's so fast that the bike doesn't lose momentum on the grade and also much smoother than using a manual clutch in those circumstances. I keep it in D almost all the time and merely use the downshift button when necessary.

Most of my riding is in D mode. It is relaxed, 6th gear gets hit early. I make use of the Downshift button quite a bit, especially if I am passing. but then, a hard twist of the throttle will achieve the same as stomping the peddle in a car - passing gear.

In the twisties and on the gravel I had it in S mode. Each gear is used longer, which is nice when you want to use the engine to help slow you down or you dont want it changing gear in a curve (though even if it does, you barely feel it).

In the gravel this past weekend, the bike was shifting a hair before I went to shift on my own. After the first few miles of it, I just relaxed and let the engine and transmission do what they do best and kept myself out of it.

I'm really fat and I don't have a problem with the NC700X. It doesn't seem to have a problem with me or my weight or the combined weight of my wife and me either...

Another OFG here and I love the NC. Mine is named Skookum and she has DCT and ABS and I will say that the Honda engineers did a great job on this system. I am in total agreement with those who commented above..... The DCT in D mode is the perfect commuter setup and in S mode, Skookum is quite sporty. And every shift (upshifts and downshifts) are PERFECT!. In a tight situation, you just roll the throttle on and the torquey NC takes care of the gear selection. Having the paddle shifter does allow some manual intervention (I use it for engine braking) and every one of those paddle shifts are also PERFECT. I bet you would enjoy the bike....

I may be getting older but I refuse to grow up!

>T

you cant control time, but you can control how fat you are. ( assuming no medical condition). hit the gym and start a great diet. you have no idea or dont remember what is to feel young. that extra weight you carry is zapping your year and happiness away.

the NC is a great bike. 65 is not old. 85 is old. you got 20 years!!! dont waste them

mreric,

My wife says I'm too much of a party animal and chick magnet when I'm slim so she loads up the trough with stuff I love! Life is good......

Back