• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Original Vetter Hippo Hands - Back in service!

670cc

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Mods
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I've been considering the heated grips and the Barkbusters. Then I remembered the old Hippo Hands stored in the basement! These are originals, given to me as a birthday gift by my wife in 1979. They were first placed in service on my 1977 Suzuki GS550B, then later on my 1982 Suzuki GS850GZ, which I sold in 1998. Other bikes since just weren't compatible with the Hippo Hands, until now! With the addition of my 1.2 inch risers, there's plenty of clearance and they fit so well. The only glitch was that the horn button tends to get hit on tight right handers (sorry, don't mind me).

I just took a nice ride at 34*F wearing just summer gloves. Nice!

By the way, Craig Vetter, master of the fairings bearing his name, went to school at the University of Illinois, right near me. He set up his business in a nearby small town. I don't know if the Hippos were made there at the factory or elsewhere. The factory is still there, but it's used by Bell for making sports equipment.

Greg
100_4880s.jpg100_4881s.jpg100_4883s.jpg100_4886s.jpg

Last edited:
Cool beans. Any effect on steering feeling?

There used to be a really funny thread about Hippo Hands over at ADV awhile back.

Wish I had a pair of the old ones. A friend of mine had a pair and they were real warm !!!!

There is an old pair on eBay now. Not quite like mine but similar.

Greg

Back