• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Pacific Coast experience available?

WPZ

Reaction score
Visit site
I have some curiosity about some older model bikes that I probably, at this late remove, will never get around to experiencing first hand. So, I'll pose the question as was done with the NT700V (a bike that still is calling to me, almost annoyingly).
The Pacific Coast is such a bike. Back when it was introduced, it was an object of scornful humor in most precincts, yet it still intrigued me. Being a four-cylinder Kawasaki person at heart, the none-too-powerful V-twin seemed to be something I'd prefer to avoid, despite many interesting features. The luggage arrangement still seems as if it could be practical, for example. Keep in mind that comes from a former carpenter who not once but twice broke sidebag mounts off of his bike carrying a load of tools to work in downtown Chicago, one off a Concours ZG1000 and the other off my still-current ZX1100E. (To complete that anecdote, I wound up fabricating new main rails for the Givis for the ZX from hacked-up 2x2x1/4" steel angle I had left over from a room addition. Heavy, and is still operational more than a decade later.)
So, anyone care to offer what it's really like to ride a PC800? Comfort, wind protection, speed and power in the real world, those sorts of things?
Thanks in advance.
Bill

P.S.- still accepting NT700V inputs as well. Dang it.

I bought a new '97 PC800 in '98 and put 102k miles on it before it was sold in early-2010. It had good weather protection and was almost silent running because of the shielding (2 layers) around the engine. Gas mileage was typically in the mid-50s but if pushed into a strong headwind, it would drop into the low-40s. It had a 15-inch rear tire that really limited your tire choices. Fuel tank capacity was 4.2 gals so it was sometimes worrisome when riding out west. Some riders had trouble with the Reg/Rec but my original one lasted for many years although it was replaced at around 60k miles and kept as a emergency spare in the trunk.

ps. BTW: the trunk's inner walls were rather thin and if you stuffed something hard (such as tools) in that space, it could cause the inner wall to bow inward and rub on the rear tire.

Last edited:
I have a 98 with low mileage that I bought in 2012. In 2015 I took it from the east coast of Canada out to the west coast and back. It is my favorite all time bike, extremely comfortable, good protection more than enough power for me and my gear. If it wasn't getting a bit long in the tooth and harder to source parts when needed, I would have taken in across Canada again when I go in 2018. I have bought the NC750X for the longer trips for that reason but still get my share of PC800 riding to and fro the cottage etc.

It sounds like to me that you are looking for a bike with integrated storage to make it into a Contractor Bike for work.

Neither the PC800 or NT700V would be a good choice for this role. The heavy tools will destroy these storage compartments as they are were not designed for heavy transport.

To be honest, you might want to look at an ST1300. I had one for 8 years and the side bags are well built and detachable. However, it bike is big and is a "Pig" in traffic.

If you are going to transport heavy items, then you should try to even out the weight on both sides close as possible. The additional weight will affect the handling of the bike.

I have been to Chicago and street there are crazy, to say the least. Also, the conditions of the street are questionable at times.

I hope this information helps you out.

Well, Brillot, my carpenter days are well in the past, now. I was merely indulging in some storytelling.
I finished my last addition about five and half years ago, when the market disintegrated in remodeling.
Besides, no one would hire me anymore at my age. The creaking might be deafening.
I'm just curious about the bike and want to learn more. I don't actually think I'd buy one at this late date, but who knows. A barn find can sneak up on a guy.
Thank you all for your informative posts. The one thing I want to hear is about power and speed. I'm accustomed to big bike power and presence on our horrifying Tollways, and might be concerned about getting run over on a slow twin.
As an illustration: some years back I was aboard a ZX-12R my Honda dealer had thoughtfully loaned me for a few days while the Wing was getting a very slow oil change. (heh-heh)
I was northbound on the northern portion of the infamous Tri State Tollway near Lake Forest, where the attorneys drive. Mostly I was keeping up with traffic and maybe slightly more. Then I gradually noticed I was advancing on traffic a bit; everything was beginning to be oncoming. So I flicked a glance at the speedo while navigating among the BMW, Jags, and Cadillacs: 125+mph.
Yeah, but I wasn't even close to overrunning anyone or rear-ending them.
That's what we have around here, and power is the answer.
I digress.

The one thing I want to hear is about power and speed. I'm accustomed to big bike power and presence on our horrifying Tollways, and might be concerned about getting run over on a slow twin.

That's what we have around here, and power is the answer.

The NT700V is not a powerhouse either. It will get up to probably over 100 MPH for short stretches, I had mine to 96 MPH. Due to vibration and engine buzz in both the handlebars and foot pegs I would not recommend holding it there for long lengths of time.

If you want to do 125 MPH or higher, then you should look into either the Honda CBR1000RR or Kawasaki Ninja H2

Last edited:
Brillot, I already have my ZX1100E for those over-the-century kinds of days. And you know, a GL18 does 135 on the flat, too.
I should be clearer: Mostly, I think I'd like to see having some kind of acceleration left above 75mph. To at least be able to get out of the way some.
I just like to tell that ZX-12R story. Jeez, I've been in airplanes that weren't that comfortable at 125. Or 150.

The NT will accelerate above 75 MPH. The power seems to come on above 5,800 RPM and the bike will start pulling to accelerate. However, there will be plenty of vibration and engine buzz to deal with. The "Sweat Spot" for this bike at cruising speed is between 70 to 75 MPH with minimal vibration.

These bikes were not sold in great numbers here in the United States. I saw a lot for sale in the mid-west including Illinois. They are pretty rare in California.

Back