• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Perspective

the Ferret

Reaction score
Visit site
Last Sunday, a riding buddy in Pennsylvania asked me if I could go to a dealer on the north side of Cinti and look at a used bike for him. It was a 2015 Moto Guzzi Norge sport tourer.

The dealership was closed on Sun and Mon, but I said I'd be glad to go look at it first thing Tuesday.

So, I ride over this morning and look at this really pristine Guzzi, not a mark on it, 1200 cc shaft drive, 6 speed, electric windshield, factory bags, 8 valves, 104 hp, 74 lbs of torque, 23,000 miles, just had 26,000 mile service and new Michelin Road 6 tires. Bike is really spotless. After a thorough walk around, I take it out for a test ride ... some surface streets and a short jaunt up the freeway. For those that haven't ridden Guzzi's they are a little different. Sitting there idling they shake kind of like a Harley with handlebars and mirrors shaking, rev it up in neutral and they twist a bit on their axis. Transmissions are more agricultural, clunk, clunk, instead of the snick, snick of a Japanese bike's trans and with the exposed valve covers sticking out at 45 degree angles you tend to hear a bit of the upper end clatter. Nature of the beast. With the 6 gallon tank full with nearly 50 pounds of gas, I found it a bit top heavy to lift off the side stand, but once up it was well balanced. The dealership had sold it new to an older gent, did all the service, and the fellow had traded it back in on a new V100 Mandello, Guzzi's brand new sport touring bike. This bike was as good as they get for a used bike of this nature. Clean, low miles, meticulously maintained one owner. My buddy had nothing to worry about if he chooses to buy it and I told him so.

Now the perspective part. It's no secret I have never been a fan of the 270 P twin throb. It has always bothered me. However, after test riding the Guzzi, as I was headed home n my NC, I thought OMG my bike is so smooooth....and Quiet! It shifted so nicely. With the gas under the seat, lifting it off the side stand was a piece of cake, it felt easily 100 pounds lighter than the Guzzi (even though it's only 66 pounds diff) and it seemed like my bike ran crisper and felt like it had more power. What an incredible revelation. Putting things in perspective, I've never been happier with my NC 750 lol.

I looked at a Norge several years ago. I'm super intrigued by Guzzis, including that one (at the time). It wasn't a good fit for me, but I had the same impression you did: That sucker felt TOP-HEAVY lifting it off the side stand. Getting back to Wiley when I left was a very pleasant experience, in comparison.

I don't regret not getting a Norge, but one day I may own a Goose of some description, at least for a while.

Even though I like looking at them. I've ridden an Eldorado, a Breva 750, a V7 Stone, a Griso and now a Norge and have come to the conclusion I am just not Guzzi material. Too quirky for me. Same with BMWs, I've ridden R75, R90S, R1150R Rockster, R1200R, and although I like looking at them, I dont care for riding them enough to buy one.

Last edited:
I've ridden a few BMWs, no Guzzi's yet. But I keep coming across a Guzzi Breva 750 in a few hundred mile location occasionally, not close enough to go get a demo/test ride though. Also interested in a V7 Stone, but haven't seen any semi-locally. What are your thoughts on those?

I have a 2018 dct NC and I also have a 1981 Moto Guzzi T3 California, a 1979 V1000 Convert and a 1971 Ambassador. The Guzzis perhaps need a week or three to get in the groove, but most Guzzi riders have been bitten by there real world charm and quirks. They feel like there is something alive beneath you, not something sanitised and devoid of character. I realy like my NC too, but if push came to shove, it would be first to go.

I can appreciate that. I really can. Guzzi people are a different breed than I am. They are like Harley people in a way. Willing to put up with shakes, and vibes, and mechanical noise and exhaust noise and the occasional issue and writing it off as "character." My son has a Ducati 696 Monster with lots of character. Electrics have gone out, the transmission has locked up twice, and it has a persistent oil leak. He calls it his 50 mile bike because he won't ride it more than 50 miles from home. If he wants to actually go someplace, like on our yearly Fall Men's Trip, he rides his other bike, a Yamaha MT-10 which in 4 years has never had an issue. I also have 2 nephews that love "Euro" stuff. Cars and bikes. They drive Saabs and Volvos and ride Guzzi's, KTMs, and Husqvarna's. When they have an electrical issue, or an oil leak or are waiting weeks for a part , they just tell me " It's European, you have to expect that little things are going to go wrong. If you are not willing to deal with that kinda stuff, buy Japanese".

I on the other hand, appreciate sanitized, quiet, smooth and reliable. Beneath me, I just want the asphalt and surrounding scenery flying by, I want to feel the wind, the undulations of the road, and the curves, without my motorcycle intruding on that. So, I drive a Honda truck, 2 Honda motorcycles and have a Honda quad. My wife drives a Toyota SUV and has a Yamaha scooter. Sort of tells you my feelings about how important "character" in a vehicle is to me lol.

Thankfully, there is room for all of us on the highway.

I can appreciate that. I really can. Guzzi people are a different breed than I am. They are like Harley people in a way. Willing to put up with shakes, and vibes, and mechanical noise and exhaust noise and the occasional issue and writing it off as "character." My son has a Ducati 696 Monster with lots of character. Electrics have gone out, the transmission has locked up twice, and it has a persistent oil leak. He calls it his 50 mile bike because he won't ride it more than 50 miles from home. If he wants to actually go someplace, like on our yearly Fall Men's Trip, he rides his other bike, a Yamaha MT-10 which in 4 years has never had an issue. I also have 2 nephews that love "Euro" stuff. Cars and bikes. They drive Saabs and Volvos and ride Guzzi's, KTMs, and Husqvarna's. When they have an electrical issue, or an oil leak or are waiting weeks for a part , they just tell me " It's European, you have to expect that little things are going to go wrong. If you are not willing to deal with that kinda stuff, buy Japanese".

I on the other hand, appreciate sanitized, quiet, smooth and reliable. Beneath me, I just want the asphalt and surrounding scenery flying by, I want to feel the wind, the undulations of the road, and the curves, without my motorcycle intruding on that. So, I drive a Honda truck, 2 Honda motorcycles and have a Honda quad. My wife drives a Toyota SUV and has a Yamaha scooter. Sort of tells you my feelings about how important "character" in a vehicle is to me lol.

Thankfully, there is room for all of us on the highway.
One poster on here in the past said something like, “I‘m only riding motorcycles ‘til they perfect the magic carpet”. I think that would fit me. I want the bike reliable, responsive, smooth and silent, leaning and gliding gracefully as if floating above the pavement. I’d like the bike as a silent hoverboard flying just over the roadway, an extension of my own self, yet inconspicuous. No motorcycle “character“ needed for me, thank you.

I enjoy the vibes and little exhaust noise from the NC but am not a fan of my friends’ HD motorcycles

I've ridden a few BMWs, no Guzzi's yet. But I keep coming across a Guzzi Breva 750 in a few hundred mile location occasionally, not close enough to go get a demo/test ride though. Also interested in a V7 Stone, but haven't seen any semi-locally. What are your thoughts on those?
Tony, the Breva and V7 Stone are in theory nearly the same motorcycle I believe. Both are the small block version of the 750cc transverse twin Guzzi with 2 valves per cylinder. The V7 is just an updated version of the Breva. Both have same frame, same brakes single disc f & R, 5 speed trans on the Breva and 6 speed on the Stone. a 750cc air cooled, shaft drive.The V7 has more hp I believe 65 vs 45 for the Breva. They have different tanks, seats and instruments. Dry weight on the Breva about 400 on the Stone about 450.

When I rode the Breva my first thought were " where's the power and where are the brakes". When riding my nephews V7 I felt the hp deficit had been addressed, so had the weak brakes. Both bikes had the Guzzi twist when revved. I remember something goofy about the instruments on the V7 but for the life of me cant remember what it was. Early Brevas had a reputation for consuming oil, and the piston and rings were changed on the V7. I personally thought the Breva was more attractive.

I've truly wanted a BMW or a Guzzi since I was very young, but each time a test ride convinced me otherwise. Those that own them seem to enjoy them though.

One poster on here in the past said something like, “I‘m only riding motorcycles ‘til they perfect the magic carpet”. I think that would fit me. I want the bike reliable, responsive, smooth and silent, leaning and gliding gracefully as if floating above the pavement. I’d like the bike as a silent hoverboard flying just over the roadway, an extension of my own self, yet inconspicuous. No motorcycle “character“ needed for me, thank you.
I agree! Every once in a while I get that sensation on my motorcycle, where the wind and the road are just right and everything goes silent, what a great feeling!

Back