• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Planning a trip to see the "great North American solar eclipse" on August 21st

There is a location in Woodruff South Carolina called Triple Tree Aerodrome. It's heaven on earth. I've been there 100 times for giant scale radio control airplane events (LIKE 50% SCALE BIG). They are having an event for the eclipse. It's supposed to be directly under the path.

The place is magic. 600+ acres of amazing. Free hot showers and proper restrooms. A mile long football field wide putting green grass runway. It's seriously the world's most beautiful camp and gathering ground.

Pat Hartness the owner is worth billions. He created the place and then gifted it to the radio control community and created a trust so it will live on long after he is gone.

Check it outhttp://www.tripletreeaerodrome.com
The Miata club I belong to is going there for the event but the problem is they are driving up Monday from FL. 95 and 26 in SC are clogged on the good days and crawl on the worst. I hope they make it to Triple Tree.

Well I could just stay home and have 1:10 of totality or go just a few miles N.E. to get just over 2 minutes of totality. Or go a little north on I-35 to the MO116 exit and be almost right under the center line. Or I could go east to Rocheport, MO on the KATY trail for 2:39 of totality, maybe take my bicycle and ride the trail a bit, of course then I'd have to drive the car. If I do go to Rocheport whether car or NC I'll have to stop in at the Trailside Cafe for a cheeseburger and fries.

Finally got my spot. Looks like I won't be too far from dduelin. I got 2 nights in Hiawassee, GA. I'll be at the Georgia Mountain Fairgrounds campsite right beside the pickleball courts. I guess I'll bring my paddle. No complaints at $22 a night. A lot of places are asking 40-50 a night for a 20 by 20 spot in a pasture.

I've taken the day off work and plan to ride to somewhere in southern Illinois on the GL1800 (so the wife can come along). Got my eclipse glasses yesterday. :eek:

I have eclipse glasses and a motel reservation in St. Joseph, Missouri.
Sadly my glasses are the ones Amazon is saying cannot be guaranteed safe.
Well, too late, I used them a month ago to look at the sun. Seemed ok.

Yesterday I built and tested the Sun Trombone mentioned in post #18. It makes an crisp clear image of the sun's disk about 4" in diameter. I used wing nuts for the brackets and binoculars so it breaks down and sets up easily with the longest piece 35" long. I'll be traveling with it in a car but it would easily pack on a bike.

Now let's hope for a sunny day on the 21st!

If the weather is good I'm still inclined to do a "Day Trip" to the Cherohala from my place in N. Georgia!! If the weather isn't good I can sit on my patio & watch it go dark just fine!! :cool:

Trying to firm up some plans....

Would love to see it from Grand Teton NP but that is a looong way from Maine. Closest to me would probably be eastern Tennessee/North Carolina border. Not crazy about that area though. Lots of mountains and it won't be total until around 14:35 which is early, but not uber early like in the Tetons (11:35).

Feds expect Grand Teton NP to have the most visitors in their HISTORY that weekend...so if I pull the trigger on that area, I gotta get going soon to even get a place to park and claim a tenting area. Would be a very cool place to see it though!

I don't have to be back in school until the 28th so the NP isn't out of the question....Long ride though, about 5,000 miles round trip and I blew a ton of $$ this Summer already riding all over the place. Would have to do it on the cheap, meaning tent, jet boil stove and freeze dried eats. Not real easy to do when riding from the east coast westward.....Would be an adventure though, eh?

What are your plans?

If you go out that way, there are millions of acres of national forest you could camp in. They have campgrounds in some, but others you can just pull off the road and camp for free.

Depending on where you camp, you might want to make sure you don't store any food in the frunk. A bear would make short work of the plastic.

I know this is insane but my wife and I are driving 4+ hours on Friday morning to get to Madras, Oregon. Officials say that this is going to be the most troublesome day EVER on Oregon highways. The problem is, the prime viewing locations are in the middle of the state where there are few options and no large highways. Hopefully, by heading in early on Friday, we'll get to our location, before it gets too crazy. BTW... we paid $200 for 5 nights tent camping on a 15x20' spot on a soccer field. We are definitely NUTS. Visions of Woodstock keep popping into my head.
WTH.... Once in a lifetime, right?
>Thom

My plan to watch Solar Eclipse is to go east from Des Moines, toward Davenport and then south via Great River Road, all the way to Hannibal, MO - since I made a hotel reservation for this Saturday by accident (two weekends ago, while making online reservation by phone, I didn't pay attention to date, just day and made reservation for Saturday August 19th instead Saturday July 29th - and I can't cancel it now). On Sunday continue on GRR to St. Louis - to Mississippi - Missouri confluence (Edward "Ted" and Pat Jones Confluence Point State Park) to be exact. And then head east towards St. Joseph, MO. Camp somewhere on the way.
On Monday ride the rest of the route.

There is "organized" place in St. Joseph at Rosecrans Memorial Airport, but I think I'll look for a spot with more space around me, and more quite space...

Although, depending on weather condition and clear sky, I could change my plan and go to Nebraska - more chance to have clear sky and better sky gazing from my tent. Nothing set in stone.

If somebody interested to join me I'll be happy to have company. Even with different route version, I'm flexible... ;)

Last edited:
I am driving (not riding) down to Hopkinsville, KY for the eclipse early on Monday morning. My plan is to find a park and set up my telescope and camera to view and capture the event. Going to try and get in Ruff Park, Litchfield Dr, Hopkinsville, KY 42240. I plan on leaving at 7AM from Louisville, putting me in Hopkinsville around 11 (give/take traffic).

Total Solar Eclipse 2017 - Hopkinsville, KY

I am driving (not riding) down to Hopkinsville, KY for the eclipse early on Monday morning. My plan is to find a park and set up my telescope and camera to view and capture the event. Going to try and get in Ruff Park, Litchfield Dr, Hopkinsville, KY 42240. I plan on leaving at 7AM from Louisville, putting me in Hopkinsville around 11 (give/take traffic).

Total Solar Eclipse 2017 - Hopkinsville, KY

You are not leaving early enough. Traffic to Hopkinsville is going to be nuts...They are expecting hundreds of thousands of vehicles in the area on Monday. State Police in both Ky and TN are expecting major traffic delays.. if I didn't have to work I would ride to Franklin or Murphy NC.

I know this is insane but my wife and I are driving 4+ hours on Friday morning to get to Madras, Oregon. Officials say that this is going to be the most troublesome day EVER on Oregon highways. The problem is, the prime viewing locations are in the middle of the state where there are few options and no large highways. Hopefully, by heading in early on Friday, we'll get to our location, before it gets too crazy. BTW... we paid $200 for 5 nights tent camping on a 15x20' spot on a soccer field. We are definitely NUTS. Visions of Woodstock keep popping into my head.
WTH.... Once in a lifetime, right?
>Thom

Not really, there was one in United States which I remember in 1979 and there are going to be 2 more within the next 7 years. There will be an annular solar eclipse in North America in 2021 and another total solar eclipse in 2024

You are not leaving early enough. Traffic to Hopkinsville is going to be nuts...They are expecting hundreds of thousands of vehicles in the area on Monday. State Police in both Ky and TN are expecting major traffic delays.. if I didn't have to work I would ride to Franklin or Murphy NC.

I have a few alternates. Including leaving and camping sunday night.

Even the little town of Murphy, NC is expecting 10,000 to 75,000 people.

Total Solar Eclipse | Cherokee N.C.

I have a friend in Nashville so Hopkinsville was early on my list. Just too many people, though.

There is always that guy in Paducah, KY with room in his soybean field. :)

Revised and narrowed my plans. I have a class AA full hookup camp site near Sparta, IL. 2 minutes, 6.2 seconds totality. What's really weird is that there are still camp sites available to reserve even today.

Back