• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Plastic on SeatConcepts?

bduffey

Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
So I'm expecting my new Seat Concepts to be delivered tomorrow and plan on doing my own install. My question, for those who have done their own work is;

Should I plan on putting a layer of plastic sheeting between the foam and the vinyl cover? Watching Seat Concepts videos shows them doing installs both with and without using a layer of thin plastic sheeting.

Thoughts?

There is no plastic under the stock NC700 seat between the cover and the foam. I have taken apart 3 NC700 seats and no plastic, except the seat pan?

There is no plastic under the stock NC700 seat between the cover and the foam. I have taken apart 3 NC700 seats and no plastic, except the seat pan?

Granted. I was inquiring as to whether or not to add plastic between the foam and the vinyl cover on a new seat I am putting together. Some folks advocate doing that as a rain-proofing measure.

Last edited:
Seat Concepts use a pretty decent weather proof material. Water doesn't seem to easily permeate the fabric. Unless you ride in the rain most of the time, I don't think I would worry about it. If you do ride in rain daily, get a seat cover of some type or find a really kick-*** garage to park in.

I see no disadvantage to the plastic. There may be an advantage if you get caught in the rain. for an extended period of time and foam soaks up lots of water, it could take a while to dry out. I have had several custom seats for Gold Wings and most all had plastic from the manufacturer.

Seat Concepts use a pretty decent weather proof material. Water doesn't seem to easily permeate the fabric. Unless you ride in the rain most of the time, I don't think I would worry about it.

+1. Mine has sat in heavy rain for long periods of time and hasn't absorbed any noticeable amount of water. Think the vinyl cover is pretty water proof.

trey

Thanks to all! Got the seat installed in about an hour. I'll give it a couple of weeks of riding and stretching and then tight it up again.

Back