• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Please Don't Drink and Ride

Fuzzy

Reaction score
Visit site
This accident happend about 5 miles from my home on a road I ride frequently. I don't know the individual, but pray for his family in this tough time. There is a decreasing radius turn on the road that can surprise a sober person traveling too fast. Not sure if that is the one involved in this accident.

Union Recorder said:
March 24, 2014

Motorcyclist dies on Meriwether Road
Kyle Collins
The Union-Recorder The Union-Recorder Mon Mar 24, 2014, 04:04 PM EDT

MILLEDGEVILLE —
The strip of Meriwether Road less than a half-mile before Ga. 24 turned deadly for a motorcyclist early Sunday morning. A 2001 Harley Davidson motorcycle, driven by Milledgeville resident Ronald Allan Wright, 58, crossed the centerline into the eastbound lane at 12:53 a.m., according to the Georgia State Patrol crash report.

While entering a curve to the right, the bike came into the path of a 1994 Jeep Wrangler SUV operated by 41-year-old Ryan James Rickard. According to the accident report, Rickard applied his brakes and steered to the right in order to avoid the motorcycle. The Jeep left the roadway with its passenger’s side tires during the evasive maneuver.

Wright’s bike veered onto the south Meriwether shoulder, traveling for approximately 49 feet, according to GSP. The motorcycle’s front struck the Wrangler’s right side fender.
According to the report, “impact occurred approximately five feet from the white fog line on the south shoulder of the roadway.” Wright was ejected more than 40 feet after impact. “He came to rest on his back on the south side of the roadway near the tree line,” the responding trooper stated in the report.

The motorcycle rotated clockwise going 24 feet away from the impact location coming to an “uncontrolled rest” on the south side of Meriwether. GSP said the Jeep ended the accident in the westbound lane facing south.

An investigating trooper did observe “an odor of alcoholic beverage” coming from the deceased driver’s person, according to the GSP report.

Baldwin County Coroner John Gonzalez drew blood at the scene around 2 a.m. Sunday. The trooper on the scene collected and sealed the samples in a current GBI DOFS Blood Kit to be sent for testing. Results were pending at press time.

Family of the deceased male was notified of the crash.

Rickard told GSP that he veered right attempting to avoid the bike, but was unable to do so. “Both stated that they did not see anything that would have caused the motorcycle to swerve,” the report stated.

Another article on same accident with a few additional facts, such as old helmet that strap broke on.

41-WGMT said:
Motorcyclist killed in Baldwin County

Elaine Rackley03/24/2014 10:48 AM 03/25/2014 10:31 AM Fatal car accident claims motorcyclist's life. MILLEDGEVILLE, Georgia (41NBC/WMGT) - An early morning motorcycle accident claimed the life of a biker.

The motorcyclist collided with a car Sunday, around 1 a.m., on Meriweather Road a half of a mile from Georgia Highway 441, according to Baldwin County Sheriff Capt. Brad King.

Georgia State Trooper Michael Screws said the motorcyclist, who has been identified as Ronald Wright was traveling west on Meriweather Road.

"He was negotiating a curve and for some unknown reason crossed over into the east bound lane and hit a jeep," said Screws.

The jeep was occupied by the driver and a passenger, added Screws.

Wright's bike struck the jeep's passenger side bumper and fender. The bike went about 24 feet from the roadway and Wright was ejected and landed 41 feet from the roadway.

Wright's chest was crushed and his neck was broken. He died on the scene as a result of his injuries. He was wearing a helmet but it was old and the strap broke, continued the state trooper.

Screws said someone passing by performed CPR on Wright and detected alcohol. The trooper said there was a faint odor of alcohol on Wright. Blood was drawn from Wright, to determine if alcohol was the cause of the accident.
However, the results will not be available for weeks, he added.

"A lot of people in Milledgeville knew him," continued Screws.

It's always hard to lose a loved one. It's even harder to do when it could have been prevented. Prayers go out for the family and friends.

I have a zero drink rule while riding. While I'm well below legal limits with 2 glasses of wine or a glass of scotch before hitting the road, when I'm on 2 wheels, I refuse to drink anything alcoholic. It's one of the rules my wife and I agreed upon before letting me get the bike in the first place and a good rule of thumb. There's been a bit of research done (I think I read it in Proficient Motorcycling) that shows that even 1 drink slows the motor senses too much to be safe on a bike.

My heart goes out to his family and to the driver of the Jeep.

Observe a zero alcohol policy, keep your safety gear in order, and wear it. Simple enough.

Anyone that even needs to be told they shouldn't ride after a drink has no business on a motorcycle.

Last edited:
Always sad to lose a fellow rider. Sounds like there could be a number of contributing and aggravating factors. I don't like to speculate until all the facts are in. Thoughts go out to his family and friends.

Read some statistics a while back that 2/3 of single vehicle (can't blame the other guy) MC accidents involve a rider who had been drinking. No surprise but the rest of the data was that half of these were within the legal blood alcohol limits. Point is a little alcohol is enough to impact the ability to ride an MC. Don't say to yourself it was only 1 drink. 1/3 of the accidents were the guy who just had one drink.

Condolences to the family, any death for any reason is harder on those left behind than it is for the dead. Please realize that it's that time of year and we'll start to see more and more of these type of reports as bikes are dusted off and dug out of a long hibernation and riders new again to riding will be trying to get their skill sets sharp. Some will, some won't....

The friends I ride with and I have a no alcohol rule when we ride. Sets up interesting situations when you stop for lunch and the waitress sees your riding gear and thinks you will naturally want an alcoholic drink with your meal. BTW the only fatalities on Oregon highways during the St. Patrick's Day weekend were 3 motorcycle deaths. Sad.

The friends I ride with and I have a no alcohol rule when we ride. Sets up interesting situations when you stop for lunch and the waitress sees your riding gear and thinks you will naturally want an alcoholic drink with your meal. BTW the only fatalities on Oregon highways during the St. Patrick's Day weekend were 3 motorcycle deaths. Sad.

5.jpg

I would rather not have that St. Patrick's drink, and be green with envy. Than to be all red with dead. Simple, just use your head!

SmileyParty.jpg

Plus Nana Chou worries about her figure, and does not like getting all bent out of shape!

00.jpg

Have I mentioned how much I love this forum lately?

I also agreed with my wife before we got the bike that I won't get on it after drinking (she also gets a txt message whenever I get where I'm going, at least when ever I remember to send one........)

If I want to drink and be on and use only two wheels to get home, I can pedal (and stay off the roads, because some places even pedalling can get you a dui)

There are already enough risks stacked against me as a rider. Adding alcohol? A cautionary tale for the rest of us.

I have never had a drink and gone out driving or riding. Dear old dad loved alcohol more than his wife AND his three sons!

Imagine, given this history, being awakened at 3AM by a phone call from your youngest daughter...
"Dad, I was just in an accident."
"Are you OK? anyone hurt?"
"No, no one is hurt, but your car is not so good...Dad?"
"yes?"
"I've had a few drinks, and the police are coming..."

I was dumb founded. How does a dad tell his youngest girl, "you're about to go to jail."

No, don't drink and drive... even if the taxi home costs $500, that's still cheaper than what happens after getting busted...
not to mention that you could lose your life...

My heart goes out to the family. They loved that person no matter what.

Last edited:
I have a graveyard full of freinds and people I know that have killed them selves by drinking and riding, something I will never do, ever!!!

Not one word of sympathy for the poor trooper who had to live through junior high with a family name like "Screws"?

Bless his heart.

I have zero sympathy for the rider who drank and rode and died.

I do have reservations for the rest of the people on the roads (pedestrians, drivers, cyclists) who may be killed because of this stupid rider's actions.

You can kill yourself with your stupidity, but LEAVE OTHERS OUT OF IT!

Back