• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Prior bike to NC700 and thoughts on transition

Pardon my reading but you have not the ncx anymore and seems to have only negative feedback about the ncx.
Why are you still here?
I am all for free speech and more information but your comments endeared me to ask why you stayed here to tell people off? .
[emoji89]

Oh, I still have the NC700X. It just isn't my PRIMARY ride anymore. As I have stated before, it is just not the bike for ME. It doesn't give me that thrill that my CBR600F4 does. I'm currently trying to talk my daughter into taking it, but she is only 5' tall, and would have problems with seat height, even with the lowering links adjusted, and forks dropped, to lower the bike.

Why do I stay?... to give possible new owners a different point of view. Full disclosure. I made a mistake. Maybe others could learn from my mistake.

I have bought 5 bikes in 7 years. I still have 3 of them.
I traded in my 2009 G650gs for the 2013 Honda NC700x. No regrets.
The G650gs was better on gravel/dirt roads but since I don't like riding gravel roads (I know how, just don't like it) this wasn't a pro for me.
The G650gs was more top heavy than the Honda, no Frunk also and oil changes/valve checks were more complicated.
Horse power and fuel consumption about the same on both bikes. Even though the G650gs has a 1000 rpm higher redline, it runs 1000 rpms higher than the NC700x in 3rd, 4th, and 5th gear- only a 5 speed. The g650gs has a built-in 3 year warranty (never used) and road side assistance for 3 years (never used). To me, the Nc700x is a better maneuverable bike over the G650gs.

My other ride is my 2007 Suzuki C50 which now have over 70,000 miles on it-bought new and has only needed new brake pads, and oil (one new battery-which I probably didn't need, I replaced the battery troubleshooting a red fuel injector light which turned out to be a bad spark plug). It is my normal commute bike.

I keep a 2009 Kawasaki Klx 250sf in storage in Florida when I go visit my wife. Great little motard, except the seat is a killer-no better than sitting on a 2x4. Even with street tires, it is good on gravel/dirt/sand roads.

I am fortunate enough to have a wife who understands my passion and allows me keep a couple of bikes. 3 years ago, I sold a bike that wasn't ridden and bought a nearly new CBR250R as a commuter. I rode it for just over 1 year, under it was totaled in an accident in the work garage. An elderly driver accidently ran over it... I liked the little CBR so much that I was planning on getting another one with the insurance payout. My wife convinced me that I should use that as an opportunity to trade up. Can't argue with the wife, can I? When the wife tells you to buy a bigger bike, YOU BUY A BIGGER BIKE!

CBR250R
Pro: It's super fun to ride a slow bike fast, especially in the twisties. Light weight, flickable, decent size (for my stature). 80MPG. Honda built quality
Con: just enough power to keep up hwy duty, exhausting after longer ride, get's pushed around by wind gusts and semi-truck, thumper engine a bit buzzy at hwy speed

NC700X
Pro: twice the cylinders, twice the power of the little CBR, and still the same (almost) MPG. very comfortable ergo; less fatigue. Frunk. more options for accessories to make it touring friendly over the CBR. Stable (relatively to the CBR)
Con: I've been super happy with the bike. If I were to be super critical, I'd say the stock seat. and maybe for that very rare occasion where I wish I can have a bit more power. But for what I use this bike for, the power is more than adequate.

For those times I wish to behave a little badly, I'd take the Monster S2R1000. It's everything that the NC700X is not. I think they compliment each other perfectly.

Last edited:
Before the NC, I had these bikes in my garage at the same time:
2001 Moto Guzzi Jackal
1998 Moto Guzzi EV
2000 Moto Guzzi Quota
1982 Honda GL 1100

It became a tad overwhelming keeping track of each bikes needs, especially when you threw in the snowmobiles and four wheeler. I kept the jackal and bought the NC. I think both bikes complement, and make up for, what each bike does not offer. both are very cofortable, the Guzzi has soul, the Honda does not but is enjoyable for what it does. both are easy to maintain. both are keepers! I do want a third bike but am taking my time making that decision. I think I'm comfortable with three bikes and nothing else to distract me. BTW, inplace of the snowmobiles, I bought a nice downhill ski package. Looking foreward to gettng back into skiing plus the maintenence is a helluva lot simpler:cool:

Prior bike was a '08 Kawasaki KLR 650. I'm mid 40s and grew up on standard style bikes from the 70s/80s- I won't have a bike that's specialized (they make no sense to me). That being said, the KLR was a nice allarounder with it's own unique limitations. I've never owned a more fun bike for just joy riding around the crappy paved back roads here. Softly sprung and lots of travel meant you basically couldn't feel a bump of any size. And it was nice being able to to veer of onto any gravel road that caught my eye. BUT at 5'6" the 35" seat height + weight meant I was never going to be confident off road with it. And above 55 or 60 the bike started to feel a little " busy" and crude. Which brought me to the NC - its worlds better as a street bike( even though I miss the cushy ride of the KLR), but I still feel like it can handle the occasional smooth gravel road. It does it all (that I want to do) and I'm happy I switched. I also still have my wife's Honda 600 shadow and an '81 Suzuki GS 1100e.

I own a 1980 Ducati 900 Super Darmah which I purchased in 1998 and spent 2 years restoring myself. I ride it occasionally and will never sell it. It is a constant maintenance issue so cannot be my everyday rider. Because of this I had a 2006 Ducati Multistrada 1000. I traded in the Multistrada for the NC700X.

Multistrada Pro's=much faster
Multistrada Con's=maintenance cost and horrible reliability

I willingly gave up power which i never used in order to get a bike that was MUCH more reliable and MUCH less expensive to maintain. The handling is virtually identical. I have been extremely happy with my decision.

Oh, I still have the NC700X. It just isn't my PRIMARY ride anymore. As I have stated before, it is just not the bike for ME. It doesn't give me that thrill that my CBR600F4 does. I'm currently trying to talk my daughter into taking it, but she is only 5' tall, and would have problems with seat height, even with the lowering links adjusted, and forks dropped, to lower the bike.

Why do I stay?... to give possible new owners a different point of view. Full disclosure. I made a mistake. Maybe others could learn from my mistake.

The CBR600F4 is a fantastic bike it was the first bike I ever owned bought one brand new in 1999 if I ever were to buy another 600 sport bike( which won't happen) even after all the modern day 600 sport bikes that I have ridden the F4 would get the call. Great choice the are really hard to find around here. With that said I have tons of experience with alot of different bikes my NC700x is a keeper were others have gone reasons, all day comfort gas mileage long maintenance intervals cheap insurance and storage. The NC700x could not be more opposite from the F4 its a slow turd in comparison more research was probably needed on your part before purchasing. Some of us that have been around the block with stupid fast bikes all our lives have a different prospective on the NC700 for me its all good. I might as well contribute to this post my last bikes were a built 2002 RC51 and a Honda 919. After a year and almost 10,000 miles I don't regret it for a second and still love my NC every time I swing a leg over it.

I've had many bikes in 48 years of riding but the most fun I had after the 25 year mark was a 650 Transalp that I had to sell to keep my BMW R100RS, GL1100, K75RTA and I forever regretted that sale. Tried later with two Suzuki Wee Stroms (DL650) but just could not get the fun feel and the top heavyness at a stop was not pleasant. Rode a NC700X (demo with 21 miles on it) to go across town and get a part from another dealer so current dealer could fix my fork seal on my GL1800 while giving me new tires. Would not continue with tire change unless did fork seal.... Anyway the stable feel and fun factor in the NC700X was so cool I had to have it and I bought that day, my NC700X now, with 53 miles on it. I sold the last of the two DL650's the next week and have never looked back. I still have the 02 GL1800 with 104K miles and use it when wife wants to go for a ride or need to carry passenger, but the X is my main ride. My grin factor has seldom stopped on the X, as it is as close as I've come to the 650 Transalp I had to sell. Yes the KLR is closer to the Transalp's off-road ability but I have to travel to the off-road avenues and the twins are just so much better at speeds > 50 .... At 69 I'm not going to be a serious off-roader but at least with the X and different tires I can go places my Wing and other bikes I've owned could not go, well at least with me on them.

Only negative with the X is the 3.7 gal tank and that only hits me when riding late nights in Texas where most small towns shut down gas stations at 11 pm or when I don't check how far the next town is when back roading it. One time into Big Spring TX I took 3.51 gallons of fuel. I now have a .7 liter fuel bottle inside the side racks. So far I've done a 800+ and 1000+ day (where I found the disappearing Gas stations at night) on the X so you can tour on it. Love the Frunk and it is almost as stable as my Wing at < 5 mph so I'm real happy, and with this Forum the suspension has been made better and a lot more improvements, and I'm still way < than $10K the competition requires for similar ride and features and still not as balanced as the X. When I figure in the ease of maintenance and the Honda reliability I'm here for the duration.

Last edited:
Only negative with the X is the 3.7 gal tank
I have to refuel every 120 miles or so to get rid of the flashing fuel lights. For me, that is every 48 hours. A MAJOR pain in the arse. I would give up the "Frunk" in a heartbeat for another two gallons capacity. Considering this was a touted as a "commuter" bike the fuel range is horrible unless you ride it like grandma with an arthritic right wrist ;-)

I have to refuel every 120 miles or so to get rid of the flashing fuel lights. For me, that is every 48 hours. A MAJOR pain in the arse. I would give up the "Frunk" in a heartbeat for another two gallons capacity. Considering this was a touted as a "commuter" bike the fuel range is horrible unless you ride it like grandma with an arthritic right wrist ;-)
is the bike set up right from the dealer? I was just in NE two weeks ago and really ran mine hard in the Green and White mountains, and packed to the nines with camping gear including an air mattress. My best tank was 85 mpg, the others were 73-75 mpg. When I expressway it to work mon - fri at 75-85 mph I still average >63mpg.

I've had the fortune of having multiple bikes over the years like many others here. Most of them have been 90+ HP beasts. The NC doesn't replace anything, but it is currently my sole bike.

Pros: Pretty much everything everyone has listed here: frunk, good ergos (for me anyways, I'm 6'2"), torquey engine, a blast in town and in the twisties, decent mpg.

Cons: Power deliver ends abruptly at redline, only enough power to do 75mph comfortably - anything above that takes patience/time, stock seat is as comfortable as sitting on a milk crate after an hour in the saddle, accessories are costly (but they are on any bike anymore).

It's pretty much a perfect bike for me. Even when I pull the trigger on a new R1200, I'll still keep the X around for around-town jaunts and for riding when the Beemer is in the shop!

Might want to have yours looked at, I ride mine like I stole it and got the lowest mpg of 60 and best of 75. Yours doesn't seem right if that's all you're getting.

Mike

I wonder why you get so terrible mileage? That's like 44-45 mpg. The earliest I ever saw the low fuel light come on was 150 miles or so and that was after riding a steady 80 mph into a cold, stiff headwind. My average mpg shown below is after 90 something tanks of gas and I'm as far from your arthritic grandma you can get. I do not commute but you should be easily able to get 180-190 miles to 3.2 gallons with .5 reserve.

I'm 57 and have owned many motorcycles since I started riding in 1970. The motorcycle I sold to buy the NC700X was a 1981 BMW R100. If I bond with a bike I keep it a long time. The R100 was approaching 120,000 miles and parts were getting more expensive and scarce as the bike made the transition from just an old bike to a classic. It took lots of regular TLC to keep running perfectly and while generally reliable I knew I needed to sell it and replace it if I wanted to continue my habit of riding on long rides. The R100 had mediocre brakes and handling, so-so mpg of +/- 40 mpg but it had a steady gait and a rhythm of riding that was really enjoyable. You knew it was designed and made by people that rode motorcycles and had been riding and building them a long time. To this comparison....... it had about 50 rear wheel hp, a flat power curve, and a low redline of 7200 rpm but winding it past 6000 wasn't required. It was torquey if not powerful. It had a comfortable pulsing throb in the foot pegs at cruising speeds and when I'd ride it on rides with much more powerful bikes no one had to wait on me to catch up as long as we kept it to twice the posted speed limit.

When I first saw the 700X in a British magazine three years ago I hoped Honda would decide to bring it to the states. At that time it was not coming to the USA. What I saw was the modern version of my R100. A simple twin yet it had a power delivery with a bit of character, very economical to buy, operate, and insure. Honda quality meant it would last forever with little maintenance. Decent if not stellar handling and braking. About 50 hp, flat power curve, low redline, short shifting torque surfing gait and rhythm to the ride. Even a pulsing in the pegs at certain cruising speeds. The styling was adventure touring without real off-road pretense which suited me fine. As soon as Honda announced it was going on sale in the summer of 2012 I put a deposit on one and waited for the first shipment of 700Xs to be released. I have not been disappointed with my decision. It's not perfect, no bike is, but over all it's been satisfying and I look forward to owning it a long time.

Wow, there is something wrong with your bike..... worst I've gotten was 49 mpg (180 on tank at 49mpg) running 75 - 85 on 285 in NM riding with a Fireblade rider. During that tank I got up to 96 (yes is was somewhat downhill) but I never was below 75 and on some hills was in 4 gear almost at redline. I'm 190 so no lightweight and I was with a full load in two Givi 33 trekers and a top box. . You need to have it checked out, may have a small leak that only leaks when driving and therefore you may not smell or notice it. ...

Last edited:
I can go at least 300km before flashing lights. Something is wrong with your bike or your style of riding. Did you shift up from first gear? [emoji12]

ST1300:

Pros: Powerful, fast, lots of storage space, wind protection, larger fuel capacity, quick 0-60 MPH times.

Cons: Heavy, not good for short errands, not good in slow moving traffic around town, 28-32 MPG, not easy to work on, too much plastic covers to remove.

My Fuelly average is nearly 44 mpg on my ST1300 which pretty much agrees with observed average read-out mpg of 43.7 for tens of thousands of miles. At 55 mph it gets about 50 mpg, 75 mph about 40.

Last edited:

I'm gonna jump in on this dog pile too. I ride the piss out of my bike. I'm always on the throttle hard, I ride over 75mph a majority of the time, and my bike is fully dressed with luggage (people suggest a 2mpg loss). I'm not a light guy either. About 220lbs. The worst I've every gotten is 55mpg and that was in the winter when your mpg's are lower anyway. My light rarely comes on until 160 miles. That is probably my average. I did not buy this bike for the MPG's so I do not ride it grandma. I ride it like it was my CBR. Try to anyway. ;)

My lowest tank of this year so far was 46 mpg. I'm confident I could easily drop into the 30's, based on how I know I ride day to day (what I consider pretty darned conservatively), and if I decided to actually ride it in an aggressive fashion. :eek:

Conversely, last months trip, overloaded, packed with camping gear, and outfitted with big boxy unaerodynamic saddlebags and top box, I managed to get over 84 mpg on one section. Most of the other tank fulls on the trip netted somewhere in the mid to high 60's, give or take.

My last larger bike prior to my NC, the F800ST, was nearly identical really; I could get over 70 mpg if I wanted to, or in the low 40's without trying too hard. The average mpg numbers were probably only about 10 to 15 mpg less than what I see on my NCX. I could get to 300 km's per tank if I was careful, 350 if I was worried about making it to the next fuel stop, but day in day out, I would feel the need to fill up somewhere in the low to mid 200's KM's travelled.

This ends up being almost exactly what I experience with the NCX.

Shifting is not rocket science, BUT to the riders that does it poorly, mpg will the affected greatly. most riders that shift poorly wont know it as it is the only way they know how. over revving, not closing throttle the right way, not fully engaging the clutch, engine braking, so on. there is proper way to do this. i cannot say i can do it efficiently every time at every shift, no one here can, unless you are a professional rider. most professional rider have achieve this. and yet they still make mistakes and lose the race once in a while.

this is were DCT or automatic tranny come in, most race car like ferrari and porsche are now DCT or auto. taking away the human shifting mistake out of the equation.

NC DCT can do the same for those riders. but i think DCT of the NC works well, but not close to perfect yet. with time i think honda might be able to get close to perfection.

Back