• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Question PRO SEAT RING on the frunk

MB23

Reaction score
Visit site
trt_00_787_21500_b_2_xl.jpg
Hi guys. I have a 21' NC, and I would like to have a tank bag. I love the frunk but on newer models Honda removed the bag "slots". If the dimensions are not too big I was thinking to install the swmotech seat ring on the frunk (it is only an idea and I know it could look awful) Anyway my question is: do you guys think that the straps could create a way to the rain from entering the frunk? I absolutely want it waterproof as it is

Well, what I think re your question is worth what you pay for it, but here goes, and why. If I say go ahead, the frunk will stay watertight, and it leaks, you will be upset and I'll look like an idiot. If I say the straps will compromise the seal, you might be upset and I could be wrong. I suggest you put straps around the frunk and then spray the bike with an empty frunk with a hose from a reasonable distance - not high pressure, just like wind blown rain.

I have never shied away from an opportunity to be wrong. This is my take on your question. Look at the seal on the underside of the lid - it is soft rubber very much like what is used to seal car doors. If a strap is wrapped around the frunk's cover, it will compress this gasket a bit and its seal will have to be compromised in that little area. Depending where the straps go, and the direction of wind blown rain, you might be ok, or you might not. Over time, I think the gasket might take a set and when you remove or shift the straps there might be a gap. Take a very close look at this gasket - I think it is pretty soft and fragile (my opine only).

Consider this. In the IBR (not the most recent, the one before this last rally) the contestants encountered frog choking downpours worthy of Noah. After several days of this kind of abuse, everybody was soaked through and through and everything not inside a dry bag (one of the real deals used on river running trips) was also wet. My point is as the seal ages, it might leak in a huge downpour. Consider taking refuge under one of those bridges over the highway.

The good news is, the door to the battery compartment inside the frunk is clearly not water tight. The water, if it enters slowly will not get any deeper than a couple of inches.

Well, what I think re your question is worth what you pay for it, but here goes, and why. If I say go ahead, the frunk will stay watertight, and it leaks, you will be upset and I'll look like an idiot. If I say the straps will compromise the seal, you might be upset and I could be wrong. I suggest you put straps around the frunk and then spray the bike with an empty frunk with a hose from a reasonable distance - not high pressure, just like wind blown rain.

I have never shied away from an opportunity to be wrong. This is my take on your question. Look at the seal on the underside of the lid - it is soft rubber very much like what is used to seal car doors. If a strap is wrapped around the frunk's cover, it will compress this gasket a bit and its seal will have to be compromised in that little area. Depending where the straps go, and the direction of wind blown rain, you might be ok, or you might not. Over time, I think the gasket might take a set and when you remove or shift the straps there might be a gap. Take a very close look at this gasket - I think it is pretty soft and fragile (my opine only).

Consider this. In the IBR (not the most recent, the one before this last rally) the contestants encountered frog choking downpours worthy of Noah. After several days of this kind of abuse, everybody was soaked through and through and everything not inside a dry bag (one of the real deals used on river running trips) was also wet. My point is as the seal ages, it might leak in a huge downpour. Consider taking refuge under one of those bridges over the highway.

The good news is, the door to the battery compartment inside the frunk is clearly not water tight. The water, if it enters slowly will not get any deeper than a couple of inches.
Thanks for your reply. I agree with you actually. I was looking for a confirmation, cause when I wanted to mount a SATNAV my dealer told me to connect the power to the internal frunk usb-c, leaving the cable on the gasket, and I was shocked it seems a very precarious solution to me

Thanks for your reply. I agree with you actually. I was looking for a confirmation, cause when I wanted to mount a SATNAV my dealer told me to connect the power to the internal frunk usb-c, leaving the cable on the gasket, and I was shocked it seems a very precarious solution to me
Aye, I think Honda did us dirty when they designed this bike. There is precious little space to add a fusebox, and putting the only power outlet in a watertight compartment with no way to get a wire out gracefully? I have not taken off the tupperware so I might be wrong re space for a fuse panel, but getting to it to replace a fuse will require wrenching - not my idea of a good location.

Aye, I think Honda did us dirty when they designed this bike. There is precious little space to add a fusebox, and putting the only power outlet in a watertight compartment with no way to get a wire out gracefully? I have not taken off the tupperware so I might be wrong re space for a fuse panel, but getting to it to replace a fuse will require wrenching - not my idea of a good location.
I would take the panels off and see if there is empty space on your late model NC. There was quite a bit of wasted space inside my 2012 fairing. There was room for a fusebox in one NC I had, and the present one has two Fiamm horns and their relay up inside the fairing.

Honda’s design intent is to build the bike and sell you lots of accessories - their accessories. There is really no incentive for Honda to leave room for some DIY project aftermarket fusebox.

I haven't tried it yet, but I think it might be possible to use flat hooks like these to attach a tank bag. I have a wolfman tank bag (smallish) that I keep thinking I want to mount. Seems like these coated hooks would hold to the plastic lip of the frunk pretty well.
shopping

Back