• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Problems AFTER Combination Meter Recall work?

sawride

Reaction score
Visit site
I bought a new leftover 2014 NC700XD a couple months ago. Some may have seen my post from March 14th when I noticed after I got home the Combination Meter (instrument cluster) didn't have a parking brake or ABS light. It wasn't that they didn't work, they didn't exist. So I took it back to the dealer. I didn't get straight answer if the recall work had been done or not and they said they would order a new combination meter. It took me a few minutes to get back out to the bike and when I did the head mechanic was taking the windshield off and showed me a new combination meter they had for a DCT bike like mine. He installed it and everything worked so I asked him was this the original that they had swapped out for the wrong type and just put it back on the shelf. He got on the phone with Honda and rattled off a bunch of part numbers and eventually told me the bike was good and should not have any more problems. I kind of had the nagging feeling that when they did the recall work before I bought it they had put the non-DCT meter on and when I brought it back they just slapped the original back on but didn't have a way to be sure.

So today things got a little weird. The first thing was the low fuel indicator started flashing when the tripmeter said I had 121 miles on the tank. When I stopped the tripmeter said I had 141 miles and had used 2.5 gallons but it took 3.1. With the small tank I do try to be sure I fill it all the way but maybe I slacked off last time. I rode about 80 miles and took a break. A while after I got back on I flipped ovver to the tripmeter and was surprised to see it showed 9.something miles. I KNOW I reset it when I fueled up. I had also checked it during the previous 80 miles and I remember seeing 50 miles on the tripmeter. I stopped again a little later (at a covered bridge) and when I got back on I checked and the tripmeter had reset itself to 0 again. When I got home I made a point of turning it off while I opened the garage door and sure enough when I turned it back on the tripmeter reset to 0 again. The fuel consumption seems to stay at 2.5 gallons also.

Sorry this has been a bit long winded. I will take it back to the dealer but I'm curious if anyone has experienced these symptoms after the recall work was completed? Based on the search I did it sounds like what some were experiencing BEFORE the recall but I don't see any complaints AFTER the recall.

The symptoms you describe are are what I remember as the whole reason for the service campaign implementation - erratic trip meter resets. It looks like you were probably given a "pre-campaign" combination meter.

I could take this opportunity to spout off about dealers again, but i will restrain myself. :cool:

Last edited:
The symptoms you describe are are what I remember as whole the reason for the service campaign implementation - erratic trip meter resets. It looks like you were probably given a "pre-campaign" combination meter.

I could take this opportunity to spout off about dealers again, but i will restrain myself. :cool:

Yes, so far this dealer is living down to the bad reputation many have.

Yes, so far this dealer is living down to the bad reputation many have.

I believe the dealer is supposed to affix a decal on the steering head or somewhere on a frame rail, with the mileage recorded off of the original meter when they do the swap out. If you received an updated meter, did they make note of original mileage and do the decal thing? If not, I would be really suspicious.

I believe the dealer is supposed to affix a decal on the steering head or somewhere on a frame rail, with the mileage recorded off of the original meter when they do the swap out. If you received an updated meter, did they make note of original mileage and do the decal thing? If not, I would be really suspicious.

No stickers that I can find. My guess is they did the original recall work (with the wrong combination meter) before I bought it with 0 miles so didn't see the need for the sticker. When I brought it back with about 30 miles on it they were too busy trying to cover their mistake they didn't think about what they were supposed to do.

I wonder if I go to another Honda dealer, can they look up the recall history and see what was (allegedly) done and when? If I check the Honda recall website all I can see is there are no open recalls on my VIN.

No stickers that I can find. My guess is they did the original recall work (with the wrong combination meter) before I bought it with 0 miles so didn't see the need for the sticker. When I brought it back with about 30 miles on it they were too busy trying to cover their mistake they didn't think about what they were supposed to do.

I wonder if I go to another Honda dealer, can they look up the recall history and see what was (allegedly) done and when? If I check the Honda recall website all I can see is there are no open recalls on my VIN.

Maybe you don't need to worry about whether it's a recall or whatever. It is obviously broken and your bike is under warranty so just take it back to the dealer and let them fix it, under warranty. If they end up having to buy the unit because of some mixup that happened well that is their problem. Put a little mark on the existing unit so you know that the really changed it! LOL!

There are no open recalls on the meter replacement because it was not a recall. It was a service campaign or technical service bulletin, which does not show up like an NHTSA safety recall. It was one of those hidden warranty deals where manufacturers fix things that were never right.

Nonetheless, I would hope Honda had some kind of VIN tracking on the campaign whereby a different dealer could know what had been done. Most likely your original dealer recorded it as complete. They may be the only ones that can straighten out their mess.

Last edited:
Well, sounds like the best plan is to just take it back to the dealer and say "it's not working, isn't that covered under warranty?" Part of me wants to go in and yell at someone but in the end all I really want is a trip meter and fuel gauge that works. I have put close to 1,000 miles on it and am quite happy with it other than this little glitch.

Well, sounds like the best plan is to just take it back to the dealer and say "it's not working, isn't that covered under warranty?" Part of me wants to go in and yell at someone but in the end all I really want is a trip meter and fuel gauge that works. I have put close to 1,000 miles on it and am quite happy with it other than this little glitch.

I always feel bad after I scold someone, even if they really deserve it. I often think, here I am all pissed off for the rest of the day while the moron I wasted my wrath on doesn't even get it. On the other hand if I keep my cool and stay composed I can walk away from the situation feeling good about myself. Now if only I could keep my cool and stay composed...

It would be nice if the dealer said, "Sorry about all this, you know what happened? Joe tried to...and then they sent...so the wrong...nobody noticed...and we sold it to you! Let me get the right part installed, this shouldn't have happened."

Nice bike, great deal.

I always feel bad after I scold someone, even if they really deserve it. I often think, here I am all pissed off for the rest of the day while the moron I wasted my wrath on doesn't even get it. On the other hand if I keep my cool and stay composed I can walk away from the situation feeling good about myself. Now if only I could keep my cool and stay composed...

It would be nice if the dealer said, "Sorry about all this, you know what happened? Joe tried to...and then they sent...so the wrong...nobody noticed...and we sold it to you! Let me get the right part installed, this shouldn't have happened."

Nice bike, great deal.

I've learned that there is no need to get emotional and no value in doing so. I just ask for compensation for being inconvenienced. Just state your case and describe how their mistake caused additional time and money expenses to you. Maybe they'll give you 4 free quarts of oil or half off the price of a pair of gloves? Doesn't hurt to ask.

Last edited:
I bought a new leftover 2014 NC700XD a couple months ago. Some may have seen my post from March 14th when I noticed after I got home the Combination Meter (instrument cluster) didn't have a parking brake or ABS light. It wasn't that they didn't work, they didn't exist.

OOOOOH.....so you're the guy who took MY non-ABS combo meter/instrument cluster.

I have a NON-ABS 2014 that has the meter you are looking for! No joke.

My dealer has a replacement on order, and claim they did not replace anything previously, its how they received it from Honda.

Sounds like you're in the same boat. Honda clearly had a major mix up of part numbers and replacement combo meter units in 2014.

OOOOOH.....so you're the guy who took MY non-ABS combo meter/instrument cluster.

I have a NON-ABS 2014 that has the meter you are looking for! No joke.

My dealer has a replacement on order, and claim they did not replace anything previously, its how they received it from Honda.

Sounds like you're in the same boat. Honda clearly had a major mix up of part numbers and replacement combo meter units in 2014.

Interesting, there may be some truth to what they said about getting the wrong "combination meter" from Honda. I believe the shop I bought my NC at still has two 2014 CTX700's (both non-DCT) on the floor. When I bring my bike in I am going to check their gauges to see if one of them has the one my bike should have got. Replacing the combination meter on the NC is trivial, not sure about the CTX, but I could just see the shop getting 3 new ones (one for my DCT, and two regular ones) and because it's such an easy swap not really paying attention to the difference. I plan to take the bike in tomorrow and will post what they say.

I have a 2012 NC700X that had instrument cluster issues, as in no Neutral light. The dealer replaced the cluster but never stuck any notification on the bike as to the mileage at the time. It was around 5500 miles according to my records. So my mileage registers lower than the bike is.... Otherwise, I've had no problems.

When I had the cluster replaced under Honda's Product Update on my bike they put a sticker with the number of miles on the bike when the change was made on the frame tube on the right side of the bike up near the triple tree. I can see the sticker if I look down into the fairing on the right side below the handle bars. Of course they put the sticker on in such a fashion that it can only be read from below. I had mine changed at 5574 miles. Before I had the work done my bike's VIN was showing on the Honda Powersports Recall site as still needing the work done Recall Information - Honda Powersports Honda sent me a recall notice in the mail.

Well, the NC is now in the hands of the shop where I bought it. The problem I noticed Wednesday while on a long-ish ride was when I stopped for a break and turned the ignition off both trip meters would show 0.0 upon turning the ignition on. Of course it didn't do that today when I brought it in to them. Probably Saturday or Monday before they get a chance to look at it. The service manager remembered the issue when it was delivered with the wrong combination meter and seemed concerned. Hopefully I will be pleasantly surprised with how easily they take care of it.

And while I was waiting for my wife to pick me up I checked the combination meters on the two 2014 CTX700's on the floor. They are both manual transmissions and they both have the appropriate combination meter so neither of them got the one intended for my NC-DCT.

Well, the NC is now in the hands of the shop where I bought it. The problem I noticed Wednesday while on a long-ish ride was when I stopped for a break and turned the ignition off both trip meters would show 0.0 upon turning the ignition on. Of course it didn't do that today when I brought it in to them. Probably Saturday or Monday before they get a chance to look at it. The service manager remembered the issue when it was delivered with the wrong combination meter and seemed concerned. Hopefully I will be pleasantly surprised with how easily they take care of it.

And while I was waiting for my wife to pick me up I checked the combination meters on the two 2014 CTX700's on the floor. They are both manual transmissions and they both have the appropriate combination meter so neither of them got the one intended for my NC-DCT.

Well best of luck with getting your baby returned all fixed up proper this time! It does sound exactly like the known issue, and the known issue has, by all having it done, apparently, been totally solved with the correct meter swap out performed.

Meter swap out...no ABS light. It dad absolutely nothing to do with the light bulb topic of this thread!

Winner winner chicken dinner: 670cc

IMG_20160502_180502396_HDR_zpsvc8jbr0x.jpg

Cool! You have the correct combo meter now! Tell them to send your original combo meter to the shop my bike is in ;-)

I talked to the service manager today. They have opened a case with Honda. Supposed to give me an update tomorrow.

Update: I got a call from the dealer while I was up in the Maggie Valley NC area on my CB500X for a few days. They got approval from Honda to replace the combination meter under warranty. They ordered a new meter and should have it in a few days.

Back