• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

PSA: Maybe it's time to wash your riding gear? Cleaning greasy riding gear.

HarveyM

Reaction score
Visit site
My riding gear is grey; they show grease & dirt stains wonderfully. I’ve washed my Oylmpia riding pants a couple times without making them noticeably cleaner. That grease and road grime was ground in. Then my newish Helite Adventure jacket developed an oil stain. Hunting for grease removers I hit on Hydrogen Peroxide and Dawn dish soap:
Homemade Stain Removers with Hydrogen Peroxide - The Make Your Own Zone

I removed the pads from the pants (but the jacket has a build in airbag- so no point in doing that). Of course I didn’t follow the recipe- I mixed the peroxide and soap one to one and scrubbed it into the dirty/greasy areas, rinsed and repeated. Then I hung the jacket to dry & tossed the pants into the washer. I’d rate the jacket a complete success at removing the oil stain and about 90% success with the pants. Another round probably would completely done the pants, but I’m fairly satisfied with their current state.

Last edited:
I have a Helite vest. I removed the airbag and mechanism and ran it through the washer.

I took my jacket to the dry cleaners. They did a pretty good job on it inside and out. I felt it was too bulky and thick for the general washing machine and I didn't want to spend the time hand washing it. It was really nasty inside from sunscreen, sweat, grime, etc all in the liner after my big trip in July.

JT

I use Dawn dish soap on my Olympia pants and jacket. No need for Hydrogen Peroxide. I rub a little Dawn into the cruddy spots, set the washer on 15 minute soak time and heavy wash. Comes out clean and fresh.

Back