• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Puig windscreen with handguards?

Rabbit

Reaction score
Visit site
I am wondering if anyone has any experience with using the Puig windscreen with handguards. I just recently installed a nice set of barkbuster VPS handguards with that awesome aluminum backbone. Unfortunately it seems I'm going to have some issues with making sure they clear any windscreen I put on. The Puig, in my opinion, is the one for me... but I wasn't sure if it would fit and I can't seem to find anyone who's tried. Any brave souls tried this before? Thanks.

-Rabbit

I've not used those handguards but I can comment on the fact that several of us with the Puig windscreen and handguards have had an issue with making contact at full lock. The remedy in my case was Rox Riser and now I have a ton of clearance. My point being, if you have a clearance issue you can most likely solve that problem with a set of Rox Riser which are a great addition to this bike anyway.

Ditto on the risers. I was going to respond that I have the Puig and have no issues - forgetting I have Rox Risers.
The risers helped my back a lot (6'2").

Well that is certainly an option. Do you need longer cables if installing the risers?

Well that is certainly an option. Do you need longer cables if installing the risers?

Another happy guy with the Rox risers here. No need for any cable length changes, you just have to be commonsense careful with loosening the various cable ties to the handle bars, and then re fastening them back with no pinching or kinked parts, ensuring all smooth operation back in effect.

There is a rubber grommet sort of glued to the brake line that is clamped in a bracket that needs to be removed and/or taken out of the bracket, but that is the only real thing. If you cut this grommet be obviously deathly careful you don't cut the brake line! I didn't cut mine, I just removed the line from the bracket and used a zip tie instead.

I have the Puig windshield & barkbuster Storm. I did have to use the Rox Risers. Works with stock cables.

I had the Puig windshield installed on my wife's NCX with the Barkbusters and try as I might to position the handlebars and guards I could not stop them from making contact on the right (Throttle) side. It was a very slight contact mind you and just another 1/4 of an inch would have cleared it but I just couldn't find the sweet spot.

Some words of caution...I decided that the slight contact wouldn't hurt anything...I was wrong. One time when my wife decided to use the fork locks she was a little too exuberant in turning the bars to full lock and chipped a big hunk out of the Puig. I was able to cut out (very nicely I might add) a semi-circle around the damage and did the same on the other side to make things look symmetrical but the damage had been done. We have since upgraded to a Madstad windshield and no longer have the clearance problems.

Silverhound, thanks for that. I've decided to pass on the Puig and narrowed it down to a Zero Gravity, V-Stream or MRA Vario. I appreciate everyone's help.

For anyone interested, I did get an email from Puig directly and they confirmed there would be interference with this setup.

Unless the bike says "Harley-Davidson" on the fuel tank, it's not a prime suspect for stealing. Usually people steal motorcycles so they can strip and sell the parts.

And although I like my NC a lot, I'd have to say it's an ugly ducking. :)

I have been using handlebar riser (31mm rise x 22 mm closer) with puig screen and barkbuster on my NC700. making contact is no longer a problem at full lock after installation. You can search the product on link . and there is no need for cable extension or swap with longer cable .

v3fPrS.jpg
povJRY.jpg

I have been using handlebar riser (31mm rise x 22 mm closer) with puig screen and barkbuster on my NC700. making contact is no longer a problem at full lock after installation. You can search the product on link . and there is no need for cable extension or swap with longer cable .

Deathtail, that looks awesome. Just a couple questions, the risers you use are from SW-motech, correct? How difficult were they to install? Did you have to make all sorts of adjustments to the cables? I see the Rox risers barely fit (it takes some doing) but I am hoping these would be simpler to install. Thanks.

Back